No announcement yet.

How many levels fused?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not fused yet, but my confusion level is about a 14, on a scale of 1-10.
    Amy
    58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
    Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
    Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
    2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
    Exercising to correct

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
      11 levels. T8-sacrum with left iliac fixation.

How is your recovery going, LSW?

I feel like it's going so slowly but my PT says I'm kicking ass, and my surgeon says I am right on target.

The pain has been a real challenge, and although I am doing more, I really pay for it either that afternoon or the next day. I walked around the block for the first time Saturday morning but spent the rest of the day in bed with spasms. I know it's a good sign, like being sore after working out, but still it *feels* like a setback.

On the bright side I have increased in flexibility in the last two weeks. The body image is killing me though. I'm tired of being swollen, tired of being underweight, and tired of being skinny-fat without muscle tone.

Somebody call 911 - I need a Wahhhbulance!

/end hijack
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

T2 to pelvis with anchors. Also, C4,5, C5,6, C6,7.
        Chris, Austin, TX
        80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
        Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
        C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
        New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
        Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

14 - from T4 to Sacrum
          1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
          2000 Partial Rod Removal
          2001 Right Scapular Resection
          12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
          06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Jen
            Chris and Melissa are the actives with the most levels fused. T2-pelvis with a few neck levels.

Linda
            3 months is pushing it a little. I know I couldn’t have done that, or work really would have been a test. Hope you feel better soon.

Nobody thought my ex-wife joke was funny. I thought it was hilarious but then that’s me. She is one who knows quite a bit about scoliosis living with me through all the years waiting and waiting......She offered to come up and stay with me, possibly finish me off completely in my recovery. LOL In actuality, I didn’t want her around with me being in that much pain, sometimes its just best to be alone.

Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

I thought it was very funny, Ed. Just didn't respond... For some reason, none of the smile icon things show up any more on my computer. They are just question marks. Is it just me, or is it that way with others???

Regardless of who has the record (and yes, it looks like 16 is about it) it is quite obvious that there are a lot of us with almost all of our backs fused...

Sometimes the kids at school ask to see the pictures of the x-rays again, please Mrs. B! They did just the other day when one tried to get me with an April Fools' joke about my shoe being untied. I don't wear shoes that tie because it's a real strain/pain, although I could probably manage it now. But I'm still trying to be easy on L5&6, so I just don't push it.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh yes, you're right Ed. Chris and Melissa win!

Amazing.

Susie, I think it's lovely that your students have seen your x-rays. How fascinating for them! Now that's what I call a real lesson!

My granddaughters took mine to show and tell at Day Care and apparently the littlies took it all in with interest as it was explained to them. It was the teachers who were all "ooh and ahh" about them.

Medical things were hidden from me as a child so I grew up a real woos. So I think it's important they see what can go wrong and what the treatment is from an early age. My grandchildren have often watched my partner injecting insulin. One always asks if she can do it for him. They don't bat an eyelid at these things which I think is terrific.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Jen
                  Chris and Melissa are the actives with the most levels fused. T2-pelvis with a few neck levels.

Linda
                  3 months is pushing it a little. I know I couldn’t have done that, or work really would have been a test. Hope you feel better soon.

Nobody thought my ex-wife joke was funny. I thought it was hilarious but then that’s me. She is one who knows quite a bit about scoliosis living with me through all the years waiting and waiting......She offered to come up and stay with me, possibly finish me off completely in my recovery. LOL In actuality, I didn’t want her around with me being in that much pain, sometimes its just best to be alone.

Ed
                  Aw, Ed, I thought it was funny. I laughed ROL (right out loud). i always want everyone to respond to every one of my posts, but unless a question is asked, I guess we have to be satisfied with hoping that some forum readers are smiling around the world at our attempts to entertain.

So, did anyone think my confusion levels post was funny?

Never mind.

It's nice that your ex offered up her help, but I do understand the reluctance. My husband is not an ex, but at some point i think I will start a whole new thread about the nursing care among the non-Florence Nightingales of the world. Could be a scary movie script. FrankenNightingale. (This is a sorta funny attempt.)

Lily, You can't hijack your own thread. Maybe a re-route or a detour, but not a hijack. You're at the wheel. I've enjoyed reading your posts- You are a spicy one. I like how you just came on, had surgery a few weeks later, and then on with the show. I'll be dragging my feet, dragging my carcass around for years before I cave in. But I did have my son measure me this month and it came up 1/4 inch shorter than last month. Guess I have to breath in next time. So I'm inching closer,

Susiebee, I think we all have the little blue ? marks on the side. I never used emoticons until I was writing awhile on this forum. Now I need them and it's just a little field of blue questions on the side. Hmmm....
                  Amy
                  Exercising to correct

Comment

Amy, I bet I'm not the only one to put my hand up to laughing at your confusion level post! Very funny!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you VERY much, Miss Jennifer. Just what I wanted to hear.
                      Amy
                      Exercising to correct

Comment

Ed, I thought your ex-wife joke was great. You just could't hear me laughing!
                        Chris, Austin, TX
                        80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
                        Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
                        C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
                        New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
                        Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

I'm laughing too!

Ed and Foofer...you both are hysterical!!!
                          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

2nd surgery

T2 to pelvic bone(hooks and screws) Four and ond half months out.
                            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                            This started adult onset scoliosis
                            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                            May 30th 2013 revision
                            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Ed & Amy

Ed - hilarious!

Amy - you must start the non-Florence Nightingale thread! I'm sure there will be many stories, and we could all use a laugh or two or three or..... My husband is a great guy, been with me through all my surgeries BUT....... All I can say is thank God my daughter is an OT and lives home!

Thanks for the laughs.
                              Lynn
                              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                              2000 Partial Rod Removal
                              2001 Right Scapular Resection
                              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Ed, Your posting was a LOL.

I'm fused 9 levels (T10 - Sacrum).

I guess that is the lower amount from what I've seen in the postings. It is 4 months and I'm still hurting in my upper abdomen and had a thoracic epidural yesterday. It is not constant but with activity. The intercostal nerve blocks didn't work. I think the rearrangement of my body really did a number on the rest of me. It's not my back that hurts that is the weird part. I guess I should be happy about that, but pain is pain and this doesn't respond to anything except lying down.

You all inspire me that there will be an end to the pain and I will go back to a new normal life. I already know I can walk and stand without pain.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                                X