No announcement yet.

I feel crackling, andI have itching inside now in my spine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went and had another look at that after-surgery pic, not that I need reminding how lucky I have been, I feel very lucky and thankful towards my surgeon. But looking at that pic, I thought, "Hmmm I'm overdue for a mole scan, best get those little blighters seen to." Wouldn't want a mole to become my undoing after spinal fusion surgery.

I don't know anything about Capsaicin cream, and I'm sorry it hurts so much. I really hope that somehow, it helps with your pain and itch. At least you now know the reason for the pain and itching in that area.

I'm glad you're seeing your surgeon on Monday. I hope you can pin him down for answers to all your questions. Perhaps a list would be a good idea, two copies, one to hand to him and keep one for yourself to take notes? Let us know how you go Leanne.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Leanne,
      I really feel for you. I hope you can get rid of the Shingles. Sharimsu on the forum also had shingles after her surgery. Prior to that, she had an infection. She certainly had some bad luck too, but is doing well now.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by leannebr View Post
        Just reading the resposes and looked at my post ..I am sorry for carrying on with my woahs. Boy did I vent on that one-yikes.
        No actually I think people who are having post op issues really appreciate detailed testimonials and outcomes like you have posted to help them figure out their issues.

It's generous of you to bother to post these details when you are not feeling well. Amazing actually.

So thank you.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

i agree with Sharon...
          and...this is the place to vent...you are not just venting, either...
          you are sharing information that can help other patients, while maybe receiving some feedback that might help you
          this is the place people will understand, sympathize, and listen!
          the forum is, in a way, "your people"

i appreciate the info about very thin people not being recommended for this fusion surgery...my surgeon told me that such patients "often need the screws at the hips removed" after the spine has fused," but never said a word about the Medtronics statement that you quoted....i dropped to 87 pounds last year, on a 5'3" frame (5'5" before my spine started collapsing on itself)...but the surgeon never mentioned anything the company had to say...he said he could operate on me, as long as my nutritional health was OK'd by a nutritionist...so thank you for mentioning what the company said!

you are in my thoughts and prayers
          i so hope you can find a top surgeon who does revision, and is both able and willing to help you, when you are ready to consider such a course of action...

jess

Comment

So you DO have shingles after all. Well, good for you for figuring it out and I do hope you get this all sorted out as I can only imagine how uncomfortable you feel. My sister had shingles right after one of her cancer treatments and she said it felt absolutely awful. She was prescribed the cream that starts with a 'Z' but can't remember the name anymore.
            Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
            Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
            Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
            http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Leanne,

I use Lidoderm patches for pain across my sacrum. I appreciate every non-narcotic that provides some relief. Interestingly, they are specifically labeled for shingles pain. Each patch is about 4"x6" and has a sticky layer with lidocaine on one side. I can use 3 at a time for up to 12 hours. I am also thin and find that the medicine helps on my thinnest areas as it doesn't go too deep. They're not cheap but my insurance covers the prescription cost. It might be worth asking about them.

Comment

I had that deep itching for about 1.5 years. I hardly have any of it at all at this point, but when I did, it was very deep, very strong and I wanted t scratch myself raw!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

good luck today with your appt! If he tries to leave before all your questions are answered say,"I'm not finished, wait."!
                  Female, age 38
                  4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                  currently 64*upper/40*lower
                  Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                  now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

lilysaidwhat

Thanks Lily ~ )
                    Had my apt yesterday and after he learned I had been to the U of M for a 2nd opinion and a CT because he hadnt been addressing my issues/ pain, I got the red carpet treatment. Well, I just mean I got some attention. He is telling me ( as he has before after the surgery and every dr I have seen since the surgery) that the hardware is ittirtating me inside proabably because I dont have any tissue, am too thin they say. He said the "bump" is probably a screw under my skin. My problem with this is, the I was not a good candidate for the surgery then if I'm too thin and dont have enough tissue coverage for the implants. His answer was, "I have done this surgery on 12 year old children". I will say, that in every movement it rips my insides a little more whatever it is and with the shingles its been out of control pain. Had some blood drawn and will know tomorrow on that. He put a request in for a Bone growth stimulator to my insurance. Was with him about 45 mins and felt like he listened this time. I dont have much for answers still to the pain. Still alot of "probablys"..And a prescription I guess I HAVE to try for Lirica. Similar to Nurontin, and unfortunately after terrible side effects from Nurontin when I tried it, I'm not too anxious to try anymore anti-siezure/anti-convulstant drugs that may help with pain.

Comment

JenniferG

I did have a LIST, omg you should have seen it when I went in yesterday. It was too long tho. I tried to get as much answers as I could. But kind of left in the dark a bit I felt. hardware needs to come out at some point is all I feel now..

Comment

gardener

I have tried the Lidoderm patches. They dont help with this pain, and weird as it seems, they make it burn.I end up ripping them off after an hour. I think Shingles pain may be different. The Capsaicin cream is the same as Zosterix and it is WAYYYYY too painful to use. Used it for the last time the other day and it burned me so bad inside (near my spine where the shingles have been ) that i felt the pain would make me puke. i was sick with the pain. Close to going to the ER but washed it a few times, then aloe vera tylonal and after about 1 1/2 hours the pain subsided enough to manage. This cream is supposed to "trick the brain" too help with nerve damage I guess. I would say it really just kills you with another pain (like a severe burn feeling ) and that "trick" makes you forget the other pain you had before it. I have live and learn I guess...

Comment

jrnyc

I Have you had the surgery or are you thinking about it ? To anyone considering it, I recommend the Medtronic website for information on the implants. I googled the CD Horizon" Legacy" for the implants I have...but I did this unfortunately after my surgery.If I had read it before ( the contraidictions etc ) I may have decided not to do the surgery, or at least pressed the question on my being a candidate for the surgery.

Comment

golfnut

Hi,
                            Can you tell me Sharimsu"s screename or something so I can ask her/ him questions? Or ask them if its ok for me to? I would like to discuss their issues they had as they sound like they maybe could help.

Comment

jeneemohler

Thanks for sharing with me anyway, because it helps!

Comment

sending a private message, leanne

jess

Comment

Working...
                                X