Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can the curve progress after growth stops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the curve progress after growth stops?

Can scoliosis progress after growth stops? My daughter's curve progressed rapidly after puberty.... she had been monitored for several years and her lumbar curve never progressed beyond 19 degrees. She was cleared to annual checkups and admittedly I waited 2 years to take her back. Today we went back for a final Xray (she's 16.5) - we went expecting good news... but not. Her curve has progressed to 32 degrees! Even though her risser measurement is showing her growth is 99.9% done, doc said curve could still progress. Is that right? I thought once growth stopped then the curve stopped?

On another note, my younger daughter (age 14) was just diagnosed with a double curve 6 months ago - 24 degrees on top and 22 degrees on bottom curve.... I have to admit, I am feeling a little scared and worried b/c her scoliosis seems to be much worse at a much earlier age than that of my older DD.

On your older daughter - too early to worry. She is done growing and she is near the magic 30* where further progression would be unusual. There is every chance she is out of the woods.

On your younger daughter - too early to worry. The curves are small and she might be through most of the growth spurt.

Hang tight and hope for the best.

What does the surgeon say about any of this by the way? That will be the best answer.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Thanks for the response. Spine doc is taking a wait and see approach for both. Oldest DD has good functionality, which is the most important to me. Younger DD, although 14, has a delayed bone age (per doc she's about a year from onset of menses). I am taking her for a second opinion next month. But you are right, it is much too early to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanaliy View Post
        Can scoliosis progress after growth stops? My daughter's curve progressed rapidly after puberty.... she had been monitored for several years and her lumbar curve never progressed beyond 19 degrees. She was cleared to annual checkups and admittedly I waited 2 years to take her back. Today we went back for a final Xray (she's 16.5) - we went expecting good news... but not. Her curve has progressed to 32 degrees! Even though her risser measurement is showing her growth is 99.9% done, doc said curve could still progress. Is that right? I thought once growth stopped then the curve stopped?

On another note, my younger daughter (age 14) was just diagnosed with a double curve 6 months ago - 24 degrees on top and 22 degrees on bottom curve.... I have to admit, I am feeling a little scared and worried b/c her scoliosis seems to be much worse at a much earlier age than that of my older DD.
        Hi...

In general, curves below 40 degrees don't progress after skeletal maturity. With that said, some curves below 40 degrees do progress.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X