Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is autosomal dominant inheritance universally accepted in AIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
    However old the earth is, neither of us were there when it was formed...
    Actually we do know how old the earth is to a remarkable precision. If that's wrong then we don't have nuclear power... which we do... it's all of a piece and if one is wrong it is all wrong. It all holds together because it is correct. I think you know this.

Respecting someone and forcing a harmful act or idea on someone are two different things. You believe what you want, I believe what I want and we can still be good neighbors, others believe what they want, let's all get along.
    I have no beliefs. I accept facts and reject counterfacts that have no evidence until they pony up some evidence. I also reject things on scientific principle like perpetual motion machines and homeopathy.

Folks are invited to believe whatever they want. Nobody would give a hoot UNTIL their beliefs entail inflicting themselves on innocent people. A grey area is where folks post quacky things that clearly give them hope. But you want to dissuade innocent folks from getting the wrong idea about efficacy. It's sort of a fine line.

I think I crossed the line and made a mistake in questioning a doctor telling a patient to stop her homeopathic treatment before surgery. The surgeon knows that it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if she continued it or stopped it but told her to stop it probably to keep up the pretense and any placebo action I suppose. I probably skewed that and I regret it... placebo is real. I won't do that again.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      Actually we do know how old the earth is to a remarkable precision. If that's wrong then we don't have nuclear power... which we do... it's all of a piece and if one is wrong it is all wrong. It all holds together because it is correct. I think you know this.

I have no beliefs. I accept facts and reject counterfacts that have no evidence until they pony up some evidence. I also reject things on scientific principle like perpetual motion machines and homeopathy.

Folks are invited to believe whatever they want. Nobody would give a hoot UNTIL their beliefs entail inflicting themselves on innocent people. A grey area is where folks post quacky things that clearly give them hope. But you want to dissuade innocent folks from getting the wrong idea about efficacy. It's sort of a fine line.

I think I crossed the line and made a mistake in questioning a doctor telling a patient to stop her homeopathic treatment before surgery. The surgeon knows that it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference if she continued it or stopped it but told her to stop it probably to keep up the pretense and any placebo action I suppose. I probably skewed that and I regret it... placebo is real. I won't do that again.
      As an earth science person, I assume you are stating the age of the earth to the correct significant figures? :-)

We all cross the line at times. We are human.

However, athiesm IS viewed as a religion by many, even though many athiests view it as a lack of religion. The point is, none of us should really KNOW what a persons personal views on this matter are and shouldn't be criticized for believing in God just because you don't. You are very vocal about your athiesm and put others down at times. I don't know what skevmc, Dingo, or TiEd's views are and I don't want to know. I want to know stuff that pertains to scoliosis.

Sometimes "facts" as people understand them aren't really facts and they are accepted until proven otherwise. One very large example is that of the earth being flat and held up by a giant elephant standing on the back of a sea turtle. That was the "fact" of the day. So even facts can be subjective and what we might think are counterfacts really turn out to be fact. Look at the vaccine that came out in the early 1900's for the Spanish Influenza outbreak. It was totally bogus! People wore masks that didn't protect them from viruses while they let their kids play on the coffins of people that died from the epidemic. Science isn't as black and white as you paint it either, and I think you know that, too. That's why the sciences are progressive. That's why I like math. It never fails, at least on paper... :-)

Anyway, I think I got my point across. Take it for what it's worth. I know I speak for many and that is why I brought it up. It isn't meant to be personal because you do bring out a lot of good information and help many parents with kids going through the same thing your girls went through.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

Getting back to the subject of this thread......

"In adolescents, we refer to this type of scoliosis as AIS (adolescent idiopathic scoliosis). There is undoubtedly a genetic pre-disposition for some adolescents to develop AIS, but this probably does not explain all cases. "

http://www.sandiego-spine.com/subjec...-scoliosis-030

Dr. Akbarnia's very impressive bio...he's very distinguished in the spinal deformity field. Even an ex-President of the Scoliosis Research Society.

http://www.sandiego-spine.com/subject.php?pn=akbarnia

Comment

Working...
        X