Pain after 9 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain after 9 years?

I had my first spinal fusion in 2000 with stainless steel rods, and a revision surgery in 2002. I've always had some pain but recently it's become so bad that my GP prescribed percocet. Its mostly muscle pain, but I also have a few painful areas on my spine where my hooks are. Its sort of a sharp, stabbing pain. My surgeon keeps telling me that he didn't make a mistake, that all the pain is in my head. Does anyone else have any pain, or started taking pain killers after some time? I'm not sure if it's normal to be having pain at all, or if there might be something wrong.
    Last edited by NoahsMommy; 03-19-2011, 11:29 AM.

Originally posted by NoahsMommy View Post
    I had my first spinal fusion in 2000 with stainless steel rods, and a revision surgery in 2002. I've always had some pain but recently it's become so bad that my GP prescribed percocet. Its mostly muscle pain, but I also have a few painful areas on my spine where my hooks are. Its sort of a sharp, stabbing pain. My surgeon keeps telling me that he didn't make a mistake, that all the pain is in my head. Does anyone else have any pain, or started taking pain killers after some time? I'm not sure if it's normal to be having pain at all, or if there might be something wrong.
    If your surgeon truly told you that your pain is all in your head, you probably need to find a new doctor. Be careful, however.... There's a big difference between being told that there's no obvious physical reason for your pain, and being told your pain is in your head.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi noah's mom
      i have not had spinal fusion...
      but...i had doctors tell me things were all in my head...
      they did that for a year and a half!
      then they finally did the right test and found the cause of my pain and suffering....memory loss, headaches, joint pain, fatigue, etc...Lyme disease...
      by then i was in a wheelchair!
      up until then the idiot doctors told me i was imagining it, or did i just break up with my boyfriend, why was i working and going to grad school, of course i was tired from that, etc...
      they all implied i was quite the crazy hypochondriac...
      they were ALL wrong!

i don't know if i am making myself clear...
      what i am trying to say is "TRUST YOUR GUT!"
      i do not know if your pain is directly connected to your surgery 9 years ago, or a new spinal problem, or both...
      what i do know is...do not ever let a doctor/surgeon tell you that you are imagining what your body is telling you!
      you have lived in your body for ...40 years...30? ...50?
      you definitely know your body better than any doctor could!

you know that you're in pain...
      if this guy doesn't take you seriously, then i would recommend you do what Linda suggested..find another doctor!
      whether the pain is connected to the surgery or not...you deserve a doctor who respects you enough to take your complaints seriously!!
      that is the least you deserve from an MD!!!
      a doctor with any understanding would say "i don't know what your pain is from...yet...but we will figure it out"
      trust yourself...it is the surgeon you should have doubts about!

best of luck
      jess
      Last edited by jrnyc; 03-19-2011, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your replies I'm looking up surgeons right now, and hopefully I will find one that will listen to me. My current surgeon doesn't even look at me or ask questions about my pain. I tell him it hurts and he gets defensive. Thankfully, my GP listens to me and is willing to prescribe something for my pain, although she is unable to look into the cause of it since it's not her field. I knew when I was diagnosed with scoliosis that I would eventually need to be on medication and my body would start getting old before others would, but I never imagined it would happen when I'm 24. Hopefully I can get this resolved so I can feel better and be more active with my sweet 2 year old Thanks again for your replies, I truly appreciate it!

Comment

i didn't know you are so young!
          you are right about your surgeon's defensiveness! he is only thinking of himself, not his patient!
          you should feel your best in your twenties and thirties...the fact that you are in pain at such a young age is proof that something is off!
          i hope you find a surgeon who listens and is interested in solving the problem, rather than in defending himself!
          i bet you will...there are still a few good doctors out there!
          perhaps there is one on the SRS list on this website who is in your area...

best of luck...
          jess

Comment

Working...
          X