Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: How many of you have more than 1 child with Scoliosis?

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    True to an extent, and I'm not dogmatic about it. However, the varicella virus is contagious and while not all people get shingles from it, a good number do. It is enough to trace it back to the virus.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here? 2-3% of adolescents in the US, most of whom would have been exposed to the varicella virus, end up with scoliosis.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Well, for arguments sake, let's say it is varicella that is the trigger for scoliosis. A controlled study would need to be done to see how many of the kids start curving AFTER exposure to varicella. Also, with the weakened, but live, varicella vaccine we would expect to see an increase in the incidence of scoliosis as we do shingles from the vaccine. I don't think we are seeing that, at least not yet. There would have to be a way to make the connection between the virus and the disease. Also, it would tend to be more regional, where the virus frequents more often. I don't have information on varicella to know if the incidence is the same worldwide as scoliosis is. Although it could be a different virus. But typically, these types of things, viruses and bacteria, tend to be endemic, at least for a time.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    Well, for arguments sake, let's say it is varicella that is the trigger for scoliosis. A controlled study would need to be done to see how many of the kids start curving AFTER exposure to varicella. Also, with the weakened, but live, varicella vaccine we would expect to see an increase in the incidence of scoliosis as we do shingles from the vaccine. I don't think we are seeing that, at least not yet. There would have to be a way to make the connection between the virus and the disease. Also, it would tend to be more regional, where the virus frequents more often. I don't have information on varicella to know if the incidence is the same worldwide as scoliosis is. Although it could be a different virus. But typically, these types of things, viruses and bacteria, tend to be endemic, at least for a time.
    Actually, I would expect to see the rate of scoliosis go down due to the exposure with a weakened virus...which it is.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    I would expect it to go up. I know of several kids that have repeatedly "caught" chicken-pox after being vaccinated. I know someone who worked with the CDC when the vaccine was being researched and he saw the incidence of shingles rise from the vaccine. I'm not saying people shouldn't get their kids vaccinated, my grandson is, but sometimes there are unexpected negative results with the best intentions. I would like to know where you get your information about the scoliosis rate declining since the institution of the varicella vaccine. That would be VERY important information and the researchers should be all over it.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    I would expect it to go up. I know of several kids that have repeatedly "caught" chicken-pox after being vaccinated. I know someone who worked with the CDC when the vaccine was being researched and he saw the incidence of shingles rise from the vaccine. I'm not saying people shouldn't get their kids vaccinated, my grandson is, but sometimes there are unexpected negative results with the best intentions. I would like to know where you get your information about the scoliosis rate declining since the institution of the varicella vaccine. That would be VERY important information and the researchers should be all over it.
    That scoliosis decline information was from Dingo's interview with Dr. Douglas Kiester of UC Irvine. Dr. Kiester is an orthopedic surgeon and scoliosis researcher. Dingo's interview with him is somewhere in the research section of this site if you look. I have no idea if the decline in scoliosis cases coincides with the introduction of the vaccine.

    My daughter was the first group of kids vaccinated with the varicella vaccine and she did end up getting a very weird case of chickenpox which coincided with a weird case of CNS dysfunction where her leg would be up in Grand Battement when everyone elses was down and vice versa for a few days. When I talked to her about it she thought everyone else must be wrong and she was doing it right. It was completely bizarre because it never happened before and never happened again. And then later on she was diagnosed with scoliosis...connected? Maybe.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2QHvSV05w

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,901
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    I would like to know where you get your information about the scoliosis rate declining since the institution of the varicella vaccine. That would be VERY important information and the researchers should be all over it.
    I want to see a reference. I especially want to see their methods.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Ballet Mom View Post
    That scoliosis decline information was from Dingo's interview with Dr. Douglas Kiester of UC Irvine. Dr. Kiester is an orthopedic surgeon and scoliosis researcher. Dingo's interview with him is somewhere in the research section of this site if you look. I have no idea if the decline in scoliosis cases coincides with the introduction of the vaccine.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w2QHvSV05w
    Is this what you were talking about?

    "Dr. Kiester) The more active the better. The natural incidence of scoliosis is falling. I believe it is a function of increased girl participation in sports, and increased obesity (which reduces scoliosis to a degree in some cases by moving the center of gravity forward away from the spine)."

    Dr. Kiester gave no indication that he even knew for sure why the incidence was going down. Varicella was never even mentioned in the conversation, unless I missed it somewhere.
    Last edited by rohrer01; 03-21-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: wording

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,901
    Can anyone find any reference whatsoever to falling IS rates? I can't.

    One pub won't do it on this one. You would need some type of consensus among these epidemiology types that IS is likely declining. I suggest that isn't the case based on the apparent vacuum of pubs.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,901
    I think what we have here is Kiester got a "vibe" about declining IS rates. No evidence, just a vibe.

    Also, I haven't come across anyone in this field talking about any germ as being involved with IS. There is no mention of anything like that in Cheng's talk for example as relates to what these guys are actually spending their time studying. Germs in general, and specific germs, are limited to bunny discussions.

    Folks pulling for the germ theory better hope it doesn't turn out of be a retrovirus for which no vaccine can be developed. Careful what you wish for...
    Last edited by Pooka1; 03-22-2011 at 10:45 AM.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by rohrer01 View Post
    Is this what you were talking about?

    "Dr. Kiester) The more active the better. The natural incidence of scoliosis is falling. I believe it is a function of increased girl participation in sports, and increased obesity (which reduces scoliosis to a degree in some cases by moving the center of gravity forward away from the spine)."

    Dr. Kiester gave no indication that he even knew for sure why the incidence was going down. Varicella was never even mentioned in the conversation, unless I missed it somewhere.
    That's it. Of course the interview had nothing to do with varicella. These are things that I have observed with my daughter and sharing it for any researchers out there who think it might have some potential. I doubt any doctors would make any connection to varicella because infection could happen at anytime prior to the major growth spurt and show up years later when the major growth spurt occurs.

    I'm simply pointing out a possibility from experience with a daughter who has a highly reactive inflammatory response system and has had fairly unique experiences and a mom who has watched her over her life very closely due to her unusual longterm interest in ballet. I only thought about it possibly being related because Dingo's comments got me thinking of the possibility of a theory of scoliosis by organism.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •