Back to golfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to golfing

Hi all, I was fused from T10 to my pelvis almost exactly 1 year ago and one of my biggest concerns was if I was going to be able to golf again. My surgeon always said I'd be able to play again, but I still had some doubts. I researched over and over and couldn't find much in the way of people that had lumbar fusion with pelvic fixation that golfed after surgery. There is that one pro golfer that had scoliosis surgery but her's was up high, not lumber. Well, I saw my surgeon this past Wednesday and he said I was free to do just about anything I wanted, including golfing! He suggested I take it slow...just some chipping first, then some short irons, etc...but said I can't hurt myself so I could do whatever I felt like I could handle.

As luck would have it it was a beautiful weekend and my daughter and I hit the links on Saturday. I hit some at the driving range...I was VERY hesitant at first, and I've realized my clubs are now too short and I have to grip them very high and my left hand is partially off the club...no big deal, that can be fixed and gives me an excuse to buy new clubs! Anyway, my daughter wanted to go play a few holes so I figured I'd give it a shot. I played from the red tee's with her, and I didn't hit anything bigger than a hybrid 3....but man it felt GREAT!!! We only played 5 holes as I forced myself to stop as I didn't want to overdo it, but I can't tell you how much fun it was. :-)

Anyway, I thought I'd share the news as I know golfnut is probably dying to get back on the links. Be patient and your time will come and it will feel GREAT when it does!!

Nitram
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar 65 degrees
    A/P Fusion T10-Pelvis by Dr. Christopher Good
    Virginia Spine Institute, Reston, VA 3/17/10, 3/18/10
    Post-Surgery Lumbar 19 degrees, and 2" in height

Hi Nitram,

So glad to hear of your day on the course! I don't golf, but I do like to hike and such. I haven't done much hiking at all since surgery due mostly to winter weather, but plan to do more this spring.

I've been wondering, has your pelvic discomfort improved over the last few months? I am now 5 months post-op T8-pelvis and still have varying degrees of pain at the left pelvic fixation area.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi, Rich,
      Congratulations on getting back on the links! I think you were smart to not overdo it. You deserve new clubs! I have already planned to see my golf teacher next Jan. to order new clubs. I figure the latest technology would help make up for the lack of distance while getting a new swing and building back muscles. Did you feel like you could make a normal pivot? I figured I'd have to try to turn my shoulders and hips in one piece and turn my left foot more than normal on the back swing or else shorten the back swing. I guess I'll figure it out when the time comes. Dr. Lenke has told me that I can chip and putt this summer, but I won't be 6 months post-op until July. If I remember correctly, I think your surgeon just allowed putting when you were 6 months. I would rather error on the side of cautiousness because I sure don't want to do anything that will interfere with the fusion. Thanks for posting! Have fun on the course! I'll be walking the courses and putting which will be more fun than walking around town.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Gayle, I still have discomfort in my lower back but it has gotten less as the months have gone by. I can still press in certain spots on either side and it hurts a bit...really the only discomfort I still have is in that area. I spoke to my surgeon again about it and he said its really common, but in most people continues to decline. He said he'd remove the pelvic screws if it was too painful, but its not even close for me, just a minor anoyance so I'll leave well enough alone.

Has yours got any better?

Rich

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
        Hi Nitram,

So glad to hear of your day on the course! I don't golf, but I do like to hike and such. I haven't done much hiking at all since surgery due mostly to winter weather, but plan to do more this spring.

I've been wondering, has your pelvic discomfort improved over the last few months? I am now 5 months post-op T8-pelvis and still have varying degrees of pain at the left pelvic fixation area.

Comment

Hi Karen, I have probably been more cautious with doing anything than I needed to be. Your right that my surgeon told me just putting at 6 months, but even if he told me to do more I wouldn't have done it, like you said I decided to error on the side of caution just in case....I do not want to have to do this again!!

Anyway, as for my pivot, it's strange feeling...I feel much more connected if that makes any sense...like you said my shoulders and hips all move together...I'm fused a bit less than you so I can still get some torque up high, but not that much. I've never been a big hitter anyway and have always swung smooth and easy, and it really felt similar, just more together in one piece, and more "solid" feeling with less moving parts. To be honest, at least that day, I hit the ball REALLY well. That may just be since I haven't played in a long time and I always hit better when I'm not overthinking it..but I hit the ball really solid, and the more I hit the looser I felt.

I really expected to loose distance which would have hurt as I don't hit long, but at least on that day I didn't loose anything...I didn't even try to hit my driver (too scared), but my 3 hybrid was still about 190, my 7 about 140, and my pitching wedge about 115....same as it was pre surgery. Nice!!

Anyway, once I play a few more times I'll share more....But I was pleasantly surprised how "normal" it felt!!

Rich

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          Hi, Rich,
          Congratulations on getting back on the links! I think you were smart to not overdo it. You deserve new clubs! I have already planned to see my golf teacher next Jan. to order new clubs. I figure the latest technology would help make up for the lack of distance while getting a new swing and building back muscles. Did you feel like you could make a normal pivot? I figured I'd have to try to turn my shoulders and hips in one piece and turn my left foot more than normal on the back swing or else shorten the back swing. I guess I'll figure it out when the time comes. Dr. Lenke has told me that I can chip and putt this summer, but I won't be 6 months post-op until July. If I remember correctly, I think your surgeon just allowed putting when you were 6 months. I would rather error on the side of cautiousness because I sure don't want to do anything that will interfere with the fusion. Thanks for posting! Have fun on the course! I'll be walking the courses and putting which will be more fun than walking around town.

Comment

Rich,
            Boy, was that encouraging for me to read! My longer fusion might make a difference, but, hey, I'm not a professional and I just want to get out (in a year) and enjoy playing with my friends and husband. What you said makes sense and goes along with what Dr. Lenke told me about his golfers who have had fusion surgery. He said that eventually most of them felt their game was better because they were more connected and not loosey-goosey when swinging. I may not want to compete in tournaments, but I will enjoy playing, again, and probably not be so hard on myself. I'll look forward to your posts. Let me know how soon you think you can play 18 holes. My husband wants to go to Florida next Feb., but I will only be 13 months post op. I guess we could start out at executive courses.
            Hit it long and straight.
            Karen
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Hey Rich, Good for you. It's a great feeling when you can get back to the things you love to do.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

5 rounds in the books...

Hey all..I've been trying to ease my way back into the groove of golfing so I've been taking it kinda slow the last couple of months. Playing mostly 9 holes at a time, but I played 18 a week ago, and then played 27 holes today. I can honestly say that I'm not even thinking about my back anyone on the course. I'm still working on my swing as its definitely different, but honestly the only real difficulty I'm having is hitting my drives very far. I've never been a big hitter but I'm regularly about 30 yards shorter than I used to with my driver (other clubs are about the same). With that said I've never been more consistent with ANY club. All my shots are going straighter and I now have a small draw nearly all the time. My short irons have been deadly and I'm sticking approach shots WAY better than I ever have. The guys I play with have been giving me crap saying I got the surgery just to improve my golf game!! Hahaha...yea right....

Overall I can't complain....at this point I'm averaging about 6 strokes more per 18 holes that I was prior to surgery. I have no doubt I'll get those 6 back and with the way I'm hitting the ball now I expect I'll be BETTER than I was prior to surgery (which isn't saying much mind you, I'm a very average golfer, but I'll take any improvement I can get).

Ohhh...last thing...I have no pain, no discomfort, no issues at all with my back during or after playing. The 27 holes today felt great and my back feels absolutely fine.

Rich

Comment

Rich,
                  Thanks so much for posting about your golf game. I am getting x-rays at 5 1/2 months post op on June 22nd and hope to start putting and eventually chipping this summer. I am glad to hear your game is good! I expect to lose yardage when I start hitting drives after 1 year, but hope that my putting and chipping will compensate in my scores for the lack of distance. I would think that one could not even judge the loss of distance until you've had at least a couple of years of regaining back muscles and learning a new swing. I'm not going to hesitate to buy new woods if that will help. My husband wants to go on our annual trip to Florida in February, but I'm trying to prepare him that I doubt that I can play more than 9 holes at first. I don't even know if we can get a 9 hole rates, but I sure don't want to do too much too soon and have major regrets.
                  Let me know how you do this summer. Keep beating your buddies.
                  Karen
                  I'm missing my tournaments, but I'm walking with my friends on the courses which is incentive to walk as well as maintaining friendships.
                  Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

27 holes and no pain is awesome!
                    Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

that is remarkable

Comment

Congratulations!! I have not golfed but wanted to take it up. I'll have to wait until December to really try it (some place warm). My husband and many of my friends golf. I couldn't before because of pain in my back. Now, I'm ready when the time comes.
                        Thank you for sharing. I know how great this is for Karen.

Enjoy!!

Comment

Karen, I know how hard it is to be patient, but it will be worth it! It sounds like your really active already and I'll bet you'll be able to play 18 holes sooner than you think. I've been surprised and how quickly my stamina has come back and I'm not nearly as active as you are. January will be here before you know it and we can compare notes! :-)

Rich

Comment

Thanks backissues....I'm sure you will love it come December, its such a great sport (IMHO) that can be shared with people of all ages. I just love that I can play with my father and son and we can all have a great time. There aren't many sports that we can play from 5 to 85 (or even longer!).....my grandfather played until he was in his late 80's....i can only hope to enjoy the game that long!

Rich

Originally posted by backissues View Post
                            Congratulations!! I have not golfed but wanted to take it up. I'll have to wait until December to really try it (some place warm). My husband and many of my friends golf. I couldn't before because of pain in my back. Now, I'm ready when the time comes.
                            Thank you for sharing. I know how great this is for Karen.

Enjoy!!

Comment

Golfing at 90

Like Rich said, there aren't many sports you can play your whole life. My 90 year old dad plays at least twice a week with a group of guys in their 70's and 80's and with my mom (84) other days. When he was younger, dad always won the money (I think they still play for quarters) They finally let dad move to the senior tees two year ago.
                              Irene-You are still young! Get some lessons next summer and you won't regret it.

Karen
                              P.S. Dad just bought a new three wood!
                              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                              Now 66
                              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
                              X