Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it Crazy to travel to New York for an Opinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when i read that someone thinks that having minimally invasive is for cosmetic reasons, i know that person has no idea what is involved in any scoliosis surgery....
    going thru all the pain and trauma and risks of surgery for cosmetic reasons, in the case of what is needed for spinal surgery, makes no sense!
    i knew someone who had full, open surgery on a bad knee years ago...he was in agony!! now, with arthroscopic knee surgery, people can avoid much of that pain...it is the same kind of idea with MI for scoli...avoid trauma to muscles and other tissue as much as is possible!
    i usually avoid responding to talk of cosmetic reasons, but just don't like to see misinformation on MI for scoli perpetuated!

jess

Comment

I am new to this forum. I just read your thread and it makes so much sense. I have been dodging this big big surgery for over 15 years, living in pain, taking heavy meds. I have decided to give up and go for it!! I booked surgery a few weeks ago with Boachie at HSS in NY on August 17th. I am a nervous wreck, but this is what I need to do. Im 53 and need my life back! I spent so much time seeing every top dr, looking for the mini invasive surgery, and here i am, needing the very invasive one, for at least 9 hours, and then some. I am going to be getting 3 Osteotomies, fusions, removal of old hardware, new cages, rods, screws.
      I am letting go and putting my life in Dr. Boachie's hands.
      I always feel better when I read about other's and what they too went through.
      Take care
      Cindi B

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
      Lisa, YES get other opinions. Everyone has to do their own research and in the end go with their gut. Just be informed. The key is lots of research, talking to doctors and finding the one you feel most comfortable with and TRUST. That is half the battle, and helps with anxiety of the surgery. I wish you the best of luck!!!

I agree totally with Jamie. I am going to stick my neck out here-remember that this is just MY opinion. I mean absolutely no disrespect for minimally invasive surgery; there is definitely a place for it. But we are having surgery for medical reasons, not cosmetic. And muscles do heal.
      Usually by the time we finally relent and agree to surgery, we are in so much pain that a scar is the last thing we worry about. My goal was for long term correction and pain relief. Period. I could care less about a scar. (And this is not because I'm frumpy, or I am going to hide it. I wear bikinis and sundresses, and I am in very good physical shape.) But a scar does not define me or make me feel unattractive in any way. If anything, it enhances my "beauty" with a nice straight back. It will also give me an opportunity to discuss the wonders of modern medicine with people who may have or know someone else with scoliosis.
      If I was having a small fusion, I may have considered it, but for complex surgeries-I would want everything in full view if I were the doc. Over and over I hear patients say that the doc found more than they thought while they were in there. I wonder if they would see everything, or if they could possibly miss something, if the surgery is done with the minimally invasive technique... Just my mind wondering, but that is not a risk I would want to take. The goal is just ONE surgery, not a revision later.
      Just remember why we have the surgery. And be open minded. The beauty of it is that we are all in control of our own destiny and can choose what is best for US, not someone else. Thank goodness for choices, no matter what we choose!!

Comment

Cindi,
        Congratulations on making your decision. I doubt that there is anyone who made this decision without stressing and second guessing. I am 60 and felt that I shouldn't wait much longer for the surgery even with very little pain. Fortunately, I have had a smooth recovery and no regrets what so ever. Yesterday was my 6 month anniversary! I would be happy to talk to you any time by phone or email. Pottoff@htc.net
        By the way, I looked into minimally invasive surgery as well. I can't imagine six osteotomies, 2 cages, and 14 vertebrae fused with that method and I didn't want to wait years for it to be perfected.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Cindi,
          I just had my surgery done 4 weeks ago, by Dr Boachie, so if you have any questions, or I can help in any way, please let me know. I am not very far along in the recovery process, obviously, but I can answer questions about the hospital, etc. Best of Luck to you. Dr. B. is one of the best!
          Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
          T54/L72
          Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
          Gained 2 inches!
          Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
          12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
          Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Originally posted by CindiBarna View Post
            I am new to this forum. I just read your thread and it makes so much sense. I have been dodging this big big surgery for over 15 years, living in pain, taking heavy meds. I have decided to give up and go for it!! I booked surgery a few weeks ago with Boachie at HSS in NY on August 17th. I am a nervous wreck, but this is what I need to do. Im 53 and need my life back! I spent so much time seeing every top dr, looking for the mini invasive surgery, and here i am, needing the very invasive one, for at least 9 hours, and then some. I am going to be getting 3 Osteotomies, fusions, removal of old hardware, new cages, rods, screws.
            I am letting go and putting my life in Dr. Boachie's hands.
            I always feel better when I read about other's and what they too went through.
            Take care
            Cindi B
            Cindi,

Having Scoliosis Surgery is no easy decision that's for certain but I believe in the end you will be happy you did it. While I have new issues to deal with I do not ever regret my decision to have surgery. I was at a point where I really didn't have a choice anymore. As for minimally invasive surgery.....if it had been an option I would have certainly choose that rather than being opened nearly top to bottom. From what I hear Dr. Boachie is one of the best, if not the best, and you'll be in good hands! Remember to take one day at a time and do not expect too much of yourself post surgery as everyone heals differently. Good luck!
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X