Chest pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chest pain

I haven't gone through all the old posts yet, I was hoping someone could remember who it is on this forum who had pulmonary embolism post surgery. I just wanted to find out what the symptoms were. Nichole is having a little bit of chest pain, and has for about a week, but we don't know if it is just a cold coming on or what. No other symptoms except head ache. Her shoulder pain still happens, but maybe a little less frequently. She is a little over 2 months post op and has a dr. appointment on Dec. 22, but not sure if we should get ahold of him sooner.....I'm not trying to be a paranoid mom, but I don't want to miss anything important if I can help it.

Thanks for your help!
    Jaci

I found it! It is Spincon58...

Comment

thats me

Hi,

Yup that was me..I had a pulomary embolism ..I noticed it 5 weeks after surgery I started to feel my back getting better, but I wasn't feeling good in my chest , and my lung started hurting everytime I took a deep breath...I kept thinking that the muscles in the ribs were hurting from the surgery and the muscles in the chest and so forth, boy was I wrong..do not try to diagnoise yourself, if your hurting and something is not right go to the doctor. I was in the hospital for a week with the PE and was coumindin blood thinners for 5 months, but more than that I could have died...so anything that doesn't feel right ask your doctor..I hope your daughter is OK..
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism
      complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
      increasing pain at the T4/5
      point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi Connie,

Thanks for writing back. Nichole says her chest pain is gone now. I know there were colds going around the house and that is probably what the culprit was, but I am still going to talk to her dr. about it. This morning I had her breathe deeply, and I had her go up and down the stairs a couple times to try and get her "winded" to see if the chest pain came back, which it didn't. How long did you have your symptoms? Was it only when you breathed deep? I know it is nothing to mess around with. Her pain was mild but, as a mom, I always think of many things each thing "could" be.

Thanks again for writing back. I will still check into this...

Jaci

Comment

Hi,
          All I remember was my back was starting to feel better and my ribs and chest hurt,..it was an internal feeling that the lungs were not right..so if she feels better , she's out of harms way...I think I just felt really bad after surgery and it just continued 3 weeks to 5 when i went to the dr.It hurt every time i deep breath and my breathing was shortened.
          connie
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

I am so glad it turned out well for you though. It could have been devastating. My sister in law had a stroke (2 weeks after the wedding) due to going on the birth control pill. (24 years old!) Apparently there was some sort of clotting issue in the family that she was not aware of. She survived and had to learn to walk and write etc and the fact that she was a marathon runner and in great shape helped save her life. She is now back to normal, except for her peripheral vision is not back and by now probably never will be. She is also very lucky. She recently ran in a marathon in Chicago.

I did email Nichole's surgeon just to run it by him. She still says tonight that her chest pain is gone. I haven't heard back from the dr. yet, but if he even sounds a little hesitant, I will take her in. Thank you again for your input and I'm so glad you are doing well now.

Jaci

Comment

Just a quick update. Nichole's surgeon said he felt that if it was a one time thing that has resolved, he wouldn't be too concerned about it, but if the symptoms persist to bring her in. She still says the pain is gone, so this is a good thing. He did ask if she had any shortness of breath, which she did not. I even had her do some activity to provoke shortness of breath, but she was fine. (Just a worried mom, I guess!!)

Jaci

Comment

Working...
              X