Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision Surgery scheduled for March 11, 2011

Hello,

I have my revision surgery scheduled for March 11. My original scoliosis surgery was done by Dr. Erwin in 1985 and included a harrington rod. My doctor is going to do several things
    -Remove the original rod. It was discovered broken over ten years ago, and causing pain at the location of the break
    -Fuse the remainder of my back using titanium bands
    -Replace some of my disc segments
    -help with a sciatic problem by making the opening larger where the nerve that is being pinched is located.

My doctor told me that he will be making incisions both anterior (front) and posterior (back) and that the surgery will take around seven hours. I am currently having pain from my lower back (from spinal stenosis and disc degeneration) and my right hip (from sciatic). I have noticed that the longer I sit, the more difficult it is to stand up without pain. And according to the instructions I received when I pre-registered from the hospital they do not want me to take any NSAID's, so I have not been taking any meds except for my blood pressure and lipitor.

As the surgery date gets closer, I am getting more nervous. But the pain that I am having is also making me want this to be over with soon, so that I can be on the road to a better quality of life.

I keep telling myself that a week from now it will all be over with

Jerry

Well it is three days and counting. I am getting more nervous each day and will be glad when the surgery is done.

Comment

Good luck! Those last few days are pretty surreal. I'm 2 months post op, and doing very well. Soon you will be on your way, too!! Keep us posted.
      Jenee'-52
      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
      9 hours
      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
      Non-fusion
      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by bthumble View Post
        Well it is three days and counting. I am getting more nervous each day and will be glad when the surgery is done.
        The waiting is the worst. Just wanted to wish you well on 11th and hope your recovery goes smoothly. Let us know how you go, won't you?
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thank you for the great posts. I am getting mor nervous by the day, but will be glad when I am on the other side.

Will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Jerry

Comment

The waiting is so hard. Soon, you'll be on the other side, getting closer and closer to a full recovery, and a happy and (hopefully) pain-free life. The next weeks will be hard, but I found this forum so helpful in getting me through these last several months and the 3 surgeries. . . it's a 24/7 support system of people who understand.

We all will be thinking of you on Fri, and wishing you well, and watching for your 1st post from the other side.
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Well, now I am finally on the other side . My surgery was last Friday (March 11th) and I returned home yesterday (March 16th). The surgery did not take quite as long as they first excepted and the doctor said everything looks great now. It is amazing how my hip and leg pain are gone, and the only pain I am having is the lower back where the new instrumentation was installed. They also saved the Harrington rod that was removed for me. Been looking at it and amazed how much surgical techniques have changed. Now I am working on taking my meds, eating well and walking but not over doing it. Hope everyone is doing well.

Comment

Glad everything went well for you and you sound good!
                Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

5 days in hospital - wow! Glad to hear you're going so well. Take it easy and let the days go by eating, walking, sleeping and relaxing and you will do great! Congrats on being on *this* side!
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Its been three weeks since my surgery. I am still in some pain, and still walking slow, but walking when I can. The only problem I am having now is that I am sort of depressed. My progress has seemed to slow down, and it still takes me a while to go up/down stairs, walk and do other things. I sleep some during the day, but try to stay active walking, sitting up to watch tv or to read and have started to sit outside when the weather is nice. Has anyone else felt this way. I guess I was to crazy to think that I would be much further along than I am now. I go to the doctor next week for my first post surgery doctor visit.

Thanks for listening to me vent.

Jerry

Comment

Jerry,
                      I had similar surgery on 12/7/10. The narcotics you are on can make you depressed and it's quite normal but will go away. Only three weeks out, I would expect you would still be in pain. It was hard for me to go up and down the steps as well. It's major surgery and it takes a while to heal. You are doing well. It will become easier in a few weeks but it takes time. Take care, LYNN
                      1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                      2000 Partial Rod Removal
                      2001 Right Scapular Resection
                      12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                      06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                      X