No announcement yet.

2 month post op xrays and pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was never told not to raise my arms (Gee, I hope I didn't miss that instruction) and had no pain at all when washing my hair or putting on a turtle neck. I thought I'd have to wear only tops that button in front, but that wasn't the case.
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations on such a successful surgery! As Jennifer said though, seeing a scar post op never stops shocking me either. It's amazing what our bodies have actually fone through. My husband was speechless yet teary eyed when he saw mine for the first time. You sound like your on the road to recovry at full speed. I wish you smooth sailing along your journey! Take care
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Long Scxar

I had told my husband how long my incision would be, but he was still queasy when he saw it the first time. He went to the pharmacy a couple of days ago to get Vitamin E oil to put on my scar. It was about 1 oz. for $8 and the pharmacist said that it would last a long time. Then he said, "Is her scar a couple of inches?" John said, "No, closer to 26 inches." I wore a swimming suit last week for the first time and decided the scar is my "badge of courage."
        Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
          I had told my husband how long my incision would be, but he was still queasy when he saw it the first time. He went to the pharmacy a couple of days ago to get Vitamin E oil to put on my scar. It was about 1 oz. for $8 and the pharmacist said that it would last a long time. Then he said, "Is her scar a couple of inches?" John said, "No, closer to 26 inches." I wore a swimming suit last week for the first time and decided the scar is my "badge of courage."
          Did you come home from the hospital with the tape on? My doc tore it off the day after my surgery, he claimed it would heal better. My scar did heal perfectly and nice and straight :O) I feel that it is my badge of honor as well. I was asked by a few family members if I wouldn't wear certain articles of cothing if it would show the scar. What a silly question to ask. As far as I am concerned there are not many people who can withstand what we have gone threw and I wear it proudly. My massage therapist asked if I would consider putting a tatu over it to hind it and I just laughed at him and said "NEVER". I think when people realize that you have literally been sliced wide open with almost your entire spine exposed for 15 hours in my case, they have a new found respect for what we have gone through. I have to say, and think most of you would agree, that my surgery did not just effect me but my entire family and I think we grew closer as a result.

My boys learned that it's not always about them and they learned to step up and take care of things without being asked. My 17 year old is like a second dad now to his two younger brothers and loves to cook when his dad is underway (I love this one!) My 11 year old still hasn't stopped asking if I'm ok and can he get me anything. And my husband, well there are not enough words to describe how well he cared for me during my recovery and still does to this day. When I am feeling down, my 11 year old never fails to remind me of the things I can now do BECAUSE of my surgery vs. the things I wouldn't be doing had I not had the surgery. All good things :O)
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

What nice comments about your family! Yes, I think family members do step to the plate when needed. I also found out who my really good friends are who didn't just say, "Let me know if there is anything I can do" but did sweet things for us without asking.
            Karen
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

I was sent home with the steri-strips on my incision. Most fell off on their own. When I was allowed to shower at 2 weeks, a nurse friend of mine gently pulled off the rest of them.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Jenee--
                What wonderful pictures. You must be thrilled with the outcome. Congrats on your new back! Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I think everyone's different, but I had no concerns raising my arms. I washed my own hair in hospital, though which day it was, is blurry now - Day 4? They uncovered my incision a few days post-op, to the horror of my family. But it gave me no problems. I didn't have stitches, I had glue.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks for all the positive comments, friends! I am just so thrilled with the outcome...

I was sent home with a glued incision and steri-strips, also. I showered in the hospital, and also was never told that I couldn't raise my arms. Maybe our fusions weren't as high up in the thoracic/cervical area as some others... That being said, I did use a shower chair and a hand held shower for a little while- just to play it safe. Especially when my hubby went back to work, and I showered alone.

We stayed overnight in a motel Saturday night, and I couldn't wait to get to the pool and hot tub. It felt sooo good. I wore a bikini, and am not ashamed to say that I am proud of my scar. Sure beats a crooked back!! It is completely healed and looks great. We do go through a lot, and it truly is a badge of courage. (So why don't I feel quite as content with my stretch marks??? LOL)
                    Jenee'-52
                    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                    9 hours
                    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                    Non-fusion
                    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Your photos look awesome! Something to aspire to...

On another note, I saw a woman at King's Island (amusement park) last summer in a short tank top with a scar going from the top of her back down into her shorts. I just thought -- "good for you!" She was out and about, tan, having fun, and not worrying about that scar!

Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                      X