2 month post op xrays and pics...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 month post op xrays and pics...

Well, here they are! I am very happy with my outcome. It doesn't even look like I have scoliosis, even with two, 35 degree curves left in there! Hard to believe I had 70 degree curves. Because my bones are so dense, (lots of weight lifting over the years) she was able to use smaller pelvic fixation screws. Because of the smaller size, they don't extend across my SI joint. Apparently, that joint can still move after fixation, and can cause pain and issues. I have been so fortunate throughout this whole ordeal! All my outcomes have been better than expected, or I have been able to take the lesser of two evils. I sure feel for you guys with complications. It is hard enough to deal with scoliosis, surgery and recovery without them...
    I am so glad to be driving. There is something about being confined to the house without transportation-it's a trapped feeling. Even if I don't go anywhere, just the fact that I CAN is so liberating. I get to start therapy soon- about 4 more weeks, and I plan on swimming, too. I will also be out of my brace at that time. I wasn't very thrilled about wearing a brace, but have actually been thankful for the reminder to NOT do some things I may have done without it. A couple nights ago, I had taken it off to go to bed, and was brushing my teeth. I bent over to rinse out my mouth and get water from the faucet. It was definitely an "oh crap" moment-what did I just do??? What was most amazing is the fact that I was actually doing it. The brace has also helped support my back when I have been tired and had to be out for long hours to go to town.
    For those of you worrying about flexibility afterwards, it is nothing like I imagined. It is so much less confining than I thought it would be. I am not lifting or twisting, and even so early, I haven't found anything I can't do. Sometimes slower, or sometimes with a little body adjustment, but I am still amazed at how much better I am than I truly feared I would be. We tend to dwell on our worries and they get blown out of proportion. Mine was all for nothing... I can't wait to see how it is when my fusion is complete and I won't have to worry about accidently twisting or bending.

Here are some before and after xrays and pics. They were just papers that were run off for me, and I took pics of those to post, so they are a little fuzzy...

post op anterior.jpg
    post op side view.jpg
    lumbar curve.jpg
    Before surgery.jpg
    After surgery.jpg
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Congratulations!

What an amazing recovery you have had, thus far! You give me great hope. My fusion is set for the same levels that you had done, and I am very worried about flexibility. Thank you for your post, it helped a lot. I hope you continue with an uneventful recovery! Regards, Lori
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Those pictures are soooooo gorgeous, I am happy for you and kinda jealous too...you know? I wish I was where you are. I really think your positive outlook has a LOT to do with your great success and fantastic recovery...keep it up and you'll be 100% before you know it!! Congratulations and God bless Jenee'..... Xoxoxo
      Cathy
      2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
      54 years old March 5
      AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
      Surgery April 8 2015
      Presurgical curves T77 L66
      Post surgical T27 L22
      Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Lori and Cathy- our curves are almost the same, similar/same fusion levels, our ages almost the same, worries the same!!! So I have no doubt that your outcomes will also be the same. I believe 100% that attitude and thankfulness for what I DO have is more than half the battle. I could be jealous of the younger set with their huge corrections, and wish I had more than 50% correction, but why?? I am ecstatic for what WAS accomplished. Especially for my age. I feel so much better than I have in years. Perfect? No. But darn near. I will never be 20 years old with a healthy back, so why would I expect that? I am a realist. It never pans out to be greedy or ungrateful. Karma, baby!!! It was the coolest feeling in the world yesterday when my doc and I hugged, I thanked her for fixing me, and she had tears in her eyes. Pretty powerful stuff... She has been wanting to send people to me to help them and give them some insight. I wholeheartedly agreed, so now she is helping me set up a support group through the hospital. I am so dang excited to get it started.
        Lori, I really did fret over flexibility for years. Try not to worry too much. I know-easier said than done! People told me the same thing, and I still worried. It is human nature. It is what it is, and you will be surprised at what a huge improvement you will have. Sometimes the road to recovery is longer for some than others, but most of us make it to a good place, eventually. Cathy, you will be here before you know it. It's a bummer you had to put it off, but things happen for a reason. Tackle that new school, and kick some butt!! You are so much like me in attitude and spunk-you will do great!!
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Jenee, your new back is beautiful!!!
          I'm glad that your recovery has gone well, and that you can drive again. Little by little, you'll have your life back, only better!!
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Jenee

You have done well! And have you noticed that cell phone reception has improved? Another full fusion benefit! LOL

Now if there was some way we could suck on a USB and get free Wi-fi, that would be great!
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jenee - Great that your doing so well and your back looks great!
              Age 56
              Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
              Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
              Thoracic 68
              Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
              Dr Bridwell St Louis
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Originally posted by mgs View Post
                Jenee, your new back is beautiful!!!
                I'm glad that your recovery has gone well, and that you can drive again. Little by little, you'll have your life back, only better!!
                More importantly, how are YOU doing? You aren't very far along... I sure hope this go 'round has solved the problem!
                Jenee'-52
                Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                9 hours
                Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                  Jenee

You have done well! And have you noticed that cell phone reception has improved? Another full fusion benefit! LOL

Now if there was some way we could suck on a USB and get free Wi-fi, that would be great!
                  Ed
                  I didn't think to ask...
                  You would think with all this modern technology and a quarter million dollars in doctor and hospital bills, I could have had one implanted, dontcha think???
                  Jenee'-52
                  Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                  9 hours
                  Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Hi Jenee`, it's great to hear you doing so well. Your back looks amazing. Your fusion is the same as mine yet there's always that shock to see such a long incision, especially early after surgery, but what a difference it has made to your back. You'd think you were totally straight inside. You must be so happy!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
                      More importantly, how are YOU doing? You aren't very far along... I sure hope this go 'round has solved the problem!
                      I'm not so sure about "More importantly. . ." . . .but I'm moving right along with this recovery thing. Tues will be 2 weeks since my revision surgery, and I am still smiling about how wonderful it feels to stand up straight and no longer have bone pain. Who would think that a little phrase like "sagittal imbalance" could wreak such havoc with a person's life (and mine was mild). . .and if/whenever I hear that someone is experiencing bone pain, my heart will go out to them and I will understand what they are going through in a way I could not have 4 mos ago. The post-op pain is still well controlled by oxycodone, Flexaril and Tylenol, and I've been able to stretch out the intervals between doses, and I sometimes take 2 or 3 oxycodones rather than 4. I would like to start walking more - I don't feel like my around-the-house walking is enough, but it's too cold and wet outside, and the healthclub I belong to would require a drive (so that's not an option for a few more weeks).
                      Jenee - your doc could not have found a better person to set up a support group - what a great idea!
                      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Jenee',
                        Your postop pictures look great. You will be a fantastic leader for a support group as you have had a wonderful, positive attitude before and after surgery. As you know, we are only a week apart and have the same vertebrae fused. I, too, am excited about having a straight back and have been complimented so much by people who see me for the first time. I have been fortunate to have had a smooth recovery so far . . . no pain meds after 4 weeks, driving at 6 weeks, and only mild aches that come and go. I don't see Dr. Lenke until my 10 week point (March 16) and hope to get a good report. Well, enough about me. I just want to let those waiting for surgery know that for many of us, it's not half as rough as I feared. Having a lot of faith in your surgeon sure helps with a positive attitude for a good outcome.
                        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                        Rib Hump-GONE!
                        Age-60 at the time of surgery
                        Now 66
                        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Everything looks great Jenee' and it's good to hear your recovery is going well too. You too Karen. This makes me feel more confident with my son's recovery b/c he's only fourteen.
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

the pics and xrays look fantastic! Your back photo before looked much like mine did before surgery. I still find myself amazed that we get such great results from this surgery!

Congratulations!!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

wow

Hi Jenee'
                              you look great! thanks for the info that seems to be what everyone is saying is that whats in your head is worse than the reality. I too will be fused top to bottom. I do have a question. How do you wash your hair in the shower? You're not allowed to raise your arms, right? Thanks for all of the encouraging words.

Sarah Cantore
                              T 40 L 70
                              Surgery March 15
                              Dr. Errico/NYU
                              T3-S1
                              Sarahcant
                              Surgery March 15
                              Dr. Errico NYU
                              Fused T-3 to S-1
                              an inch and change taller
                              nice and straight
                              49 years old (yikes)