My 2nd anniversary went by without a thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jennifer
    Lucky!! Great news and an inspiration to others!
    XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
    Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
    Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
    Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
    53 yrs old

Comment

Hi Karena,

Thank you. I do feel very lucky.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Jennifer. . .I FINALLY can now begin to appreciate the beautiful significance of having the anniversary date pass by, and be a date on the calendar that is now - pretty much -just as that date was "before".
        This Aug 25 will be my 2nd anniv since my first surgery. . .and I already know how I'm going to "celebrate" it.
        Aug 25 is my late grandmother's birthday - she died in 1976, at the age of 86. She was this tiny little lady, who immigrated from Croatia in 1920, and never learned much English (almost right after she got off the boat, she married the man who her brother had set her up with - a man who had arrived from Croatia 8 years earlier, and they settled in an ethnic neighborhood, so most of the housewives of that time and place never had the need nor the opportunity to cultivate their English). Since I didn't understand Croatian, most of our communication was through food - that's how she showed her love.
        Every Aug 25, for the last many years, I made sarma (stuffed cabbage). . .like I remember her making. . . to mark her birthday. When Dr. Tribus' office person and I picked my surgery date, the 1st thing I thought was, "I won't be able to make sarma". Last Aug 25 (1st surgery anniv), I wasn't up to such a long cooking project. NOW, I'm feeling more and more like my old self, and I think that I can swing it.
        SOOOO, I'll celebrate my 2nd anniv by giving the date back to "celebrating Grandma's [122nd] birthday".
        Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
        Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
        Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Mgs, that's a lovely story. I am so happy to read that you are finally getting the recovery you deserved from the start. By August 25 you will be even fitter. You will enjoy making sarma and spending the day feeling happy, pain-free and grateful. My first anniversary was like that, quite emotional with the feelings of gratitude and unbelievable luck. I hope you'll keep giving us updates Mgs because yours has been one of the difficult journeys and it's so nice to read of good outcomes in these cases. I'm hoping Melissa (and others who've walked your road) will have plenty to celebrate on her anniversary next year too.
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X