Surgery Postponed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Postponed

Well, I have decided to postpone my surgery from April 5 to sometime in the new year, probably Mid February. Circumstances have made me rethink being out of commission and healing at a time when I need to be ready for action. I am a teacher in New York, and as some of you may know there are cuts being made to education like you wouldn't believe... I have no concrete information, but I COULD in theory be told at the end of May that I would be teaching a new grade level at a new school come September - I know that would have been nearly 5 months from surgery, but I CANNOT ever do things halfway, I would be stressed out beyond belief getting ready for a new curriculum, setting up a new classroom, etc. I would not let myself heal properly. From some of the posts I read on this forum, letting yourself heal is SO IMPORTANT!!!!! Also, my son is in his Junior year, he has a BUNCH of things he needs to do in early May through September to get ready for the college process, my other son is making his confirmation, just so many things that make my shoulders climb up to my ears and my muscles to tighten up!! January/February is relatively clear for us - plus I will by then have over 90 sick days so I could take off the rest of the year if necessary..... UGH.

SO... my plan is to get in real good shape in the next ten months so I can recover even better than now. MORE Hot YOGA and cardio, pilates.... any other suggestions? I also want to keep my curves from progressing too much while I wait. I am not in horrible pain - some days I don't even take a regular Tylenol, some days it's prescription Motrin 800mg. Hubby's massage is the most helpful. OH and I am totally buying a new bed Thermopedic with soft top! Anybody have one? I don't know which model is best for a scoli - firm bottom with soft top, all soft, all firm - HELP!!

Thanks for letting me vent.
    Cathy
    2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
    54 years old March 5
    AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
    Surgery April 8 2015
    Presurgical curves T77 L66
    Post surgical T27 L22
    Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

hello

wow I hear ya. Im not a teacher but I live in NY and cant believe whats going on. My daughter is graduating from college in May and my other daughter is graduating in June. My surgery is March 15. I will be flying to Albany and then driving to Oneonta for the ceremony. Come hell or high water I will drag myself there. Im not as concerned with the other one its right here in Oceanside. I agree with you that you should wait. Especially if your not in that much pain. I cant believe with those curves your not, but thats what finally drove me over the edge. I cant even work out any more and Im taking vicodin every four hours, so for me its a no brainer. Healing is so important so if you are so stressed (which you are) its not going to be good. Good luck with your decision..keep us posted.
    Sarahcant
    Surgery March 15
    Dr. Errico NYU
    Fused T-3 to S-1
    an inch and change taller
    nice and straight
    49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Sarah I am on Long Island too.... my mother actually grew up in Oceanside =)

What are your curve degrees? I never said I wasn't in pain (it's a daily thing lol) but it's manageable.

Thanks for backing me up - I still wonder if I made the right decision, I pray nothing goes wrong in the next few months. Oh well, I'll have to leave it in God's hands I guess...
      Cathy
      2 sons, one Syracuse University graduate (working for the Mets now), one college sophomore, one great husband and two fabulous cats
      54 years old March 5
      AIS 45 degrees Thoracic at 14, Milwaukee brace for one year in 1977 then in 2012 I found Dr. Baron Lonner ❤️
      Surgery April 8 2015
      Post surgical T27 L22
      Fused T3-S1 pelvic fixation, osteotomies and all the other stuff but you know what? It's done...

Comment

Hi Cathy!

I put mine off twice. I didn't have a concrete surgery date, but had plans in the making. I had too much going on in my life-personal and financial. If you are able to, it makes sense to be in a good place mentally, physically, and financially. All three played into my decision. And if your pain is manageable, then hold off. Just continue to moniter your curves. I still can't believe I shrunk those 3" from January to August... If you don't see your doc often, keep measuring your height!
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Originally posted by sarahcant View Post
          wow I hear ya. Im not a teacher but I live in NY and cant believe whats going on. My daughter is graduating from college in May and my other daughter is graduating in June. My surgery is March 15. I will be flying to Albany and then driving to Oneonta for the ceremony. Come hell or high water I will drag myself there. Im not as concerned with the other one its right here in Oceanside. I agree with you that you should wait. Especially if your not in that much pain. I cant believe with those curves your not, but thats what finally drove me over the edge. I cant even work out any more and Im taking vicodin every four hours, so for me its a no brainer. Healing is so important so if you are so stressed (which you are) its not going to be good. Good luck with your decision..keep us posted.
          Where do you live in Oceanside? That is where I grew up
          Melissa

Comment

Cathy--
            After teaching for 35 years, I understand the dilemma. Having gone through each one of your scenarios from new schools, new preps, new grade level, etc., each and everyone of those is stressful and very time consuming. You're right you need to heal and this would not be helpful. I think you made a very wise decision. Good luck with school and all those changes that seem to be everywhere lately. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Tempurpedic

Cathy,
              I have a Tempurpedic for the past eight years or so. When I came home from the hospital, that was one of the things I was looking forward to - my bed! It forms to my body and I sleep very well. I have the firm top, I think. For me it works. Lynn
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Cathy,
                I don't think you'll regret waiting. As a former teacher, I understand the stress involved in a new curriculum, especially when you are a dedicated teacher and want to do it right!
                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                Rib Hump-GONE!
                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                Now 66
                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi again

sorry Cathy needed to re-read your post about the pain...Im very fuzzy due to my Vicodin issues! My curves are 40 T and 70 L I have so much pain in my right hip and a "pulling feeling" in both legs. I've tried everything but the progression has just gotten so bad since I hit my late 40's. I think its definitely peri-menopause related. I just moved to Oceanside 6 years ago from Brooklyn, and I am originally from Queens. Melissa I live right by Wrights field and the middle school on Lorrie Drive. Thank God for this forum you girls (and guys) are so great! Where are you on the Island Cathy?

Sarah
                  Sarahcant
                  Surgery March 15
                  Dr. Errico NYU
                  Fused T-3 to S-1
                  an inch and change taller
                  nice and straight
                  49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Originally posted by jeneemohler View Post
                    Hi Cathy!

I put mine off twice. I didn't have a concrete surgery date, but had plans in the making. I had too much going on in my life-personal and financial. If you are able to, it makes sense to be in a good place mentally, physically, and financially. All three played into my decision. And if your pain is manageable, then hold off. Just continue to moniter your curves. I still can't believe I shrunk those 3" from January to August... If you don't see your doc often, keep measuring your height!
                    Thanks Jenee' you actually helped me decide to wait...I need to strengthen before I weaken lol .

Thank you everybody for the agreement... I feel relieved but I'm scared of progression. I think I had more pain than ever today but I also think cuz I made the decision to wait that I was paying more attention to it, you know? I'm going to try to not think about my back as much as possible during the day, maybe that'll help.

Didn't Ed always say soft top foam beds? I need a new bed and chair if I'm gonna get thru the next ten months!
                    Cathy
                    54 years old March 5
                    Surgery April 8 2015
                    Post surgical T27 L22

Comment

Originally posted by sarahcant View Post
                      Where are you on the Island Cathy?

Sarah
                      Oakdale... Down by the bay (where the watermelons grow lol)
                      Cathy
                      54 years old March 5
                      Surgery April 8 2015
                      Post surgical T27 L22

Comment

I have a Sleep Number bed and love it. However, I took Ed's suggestion and put a foam topper on it. I've had the bed for several years but just put the foam on after surgery. I'm glad I did. It gave it just a little more comfort. I believe the newer Sleep Number beds have thicker toppers.

I wrote down all my aches and pains before surgery and posted them on the bulletin board in the kitchen. Now, when I can take a walk without pain and stand while preparing something at the counter without pain, I read the note on the board and know I made the right decision. Those pains would never have gone away. The current surgical aches and pains I have should heal with time.

Good luck with your surgery! It is better to wait until the time is right to do it.

Comment

I also have the sleep number bed and love it. The best part of it-I love being able to change the settings. It gives me firm support to keep my spine in alignment, but is still soft without any pressure points. The air fills in the spaces around my waist and shoulders, etc. When my sciatica was giving me an especially bad night, I could firm it up and actually relieve some of the pinching. I was able to fine tune it over the years to adjust for my back. I even changed it when I came home for surgery. I believe both the tempurpedic and sleep number beds are great beds, and I think they both have money back guarantees. Try them out! Eveyone likes something different. I may be a little strange, (a whole 'nother subject...) but l personally didn't care for the tempurpedic. I didn't feel like it gave my spine enough support. I even bought a topper just before surgery, and ended up taking it off. It defeated the purpose of changing my settings on the bed. Dang. I thought I had the perfect combination! Either way, it is nice to have all these alternatives. Whatever you pick, it sure beats the old mattress springs!!!
                          Jenee'-52
                          Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                          Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                          I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                          9 hours
                          T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                          Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                          Non-fusion
                          Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Working...
                          X