Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible neck fusion after scoliosis surgery......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooter950 View Post
    Hi Again! Listen, Susan, I believe Tricare will pay for chiropractors; we even have a few military chiropractors. BUT - ask your PCM for a referral to a DO Doctor fo Osteopathy; these guys ARE "doctors" just like an MD, but they know all about manipulation, better than a chiro! and you probably have a few active duty DO's on staff at Portsmouth.

I'm glad to hear that you don't regret your surgery; your curve was so bad, and unbalanced- I know there's no guarantee of freedom from pain, but I want to move forward - hoping for an increase in my exercise / activity tolerance. and I want to address any neck issues first. I think scoli affects the entire spine- it's ALL out of whack, just more obvious where the curve(s) is/ are. xxxx Jamie
    Jamie, Within the Spine Clinic over at Portsmouth they do have Chiropractors but they are only for the active duty guys. I will definitely look into your suggestion though as it couldn't hurt. With that said though, I LOVE my chiropractor and it took a long time for me to be comfortable with all the adjustments that I'm not sure I would want to go to someone else.....not having to pay out of pocket though is definitely an insentive. He would certainly need to have Scoliosis experience. You are correct in Scoliosis does in fact affect the entire spine. Having surgery to correct the curve doesn't make scoliosis go away. Some have suggested just having more surgery and go from there. I'm definitely considering it once my husband is off the boat. I can handle the back pain but what I will not deal with is all the migraines that I am starting to have again. At least with my pain all I have to do is lay down and then I feel better. While I had to rely on lying down to eleviate my pain, it works. Migraines on the other hand are debilitating and that I can't have with three boys! I'll keep you posted if I find anything out and thank you for the suggestion!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan, sorry about just responding. I had considerable neck pain in addition to the pain generated from my scoliosis. I had a 3 level fusion in my neck prior to my scoliosis surgery primarily to make my big surgery safer. I had significant stenosis, arthritis and spurs in my neck causing a great deal of pain. After the neck surgery I no longer have neck pain which is a great outcome.

Prior to my neck surgery, my pain management doc put me on a drug called Zipsor. It provided great relief. After the surgery, I have not needed any drugs to deal with my neck pain.

While my situation is still very different from yours, I just wanted to share the success I experienced with my neck surgery. I do have some flexibility issues with range of motion. I am doing exercises to gain more range.

I wish you much success in finding the solution that works for you.
      Chris, Austin, TX
      80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
      Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
      C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
      New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
      Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

Neck

[QUOTE=jChris;118232]
        I just wanted to share the success I experienced with my neck surgery. I do have some flexibility issues with range of motion. I am doing exercises to gain more range.

Chris,

Thank you for your response. I had my Epidural Steriod Shot yesterday and at this point it's hard to say if it's helping. I think I notice a tiny bit of a diffrence expect for the soreness of where the needles were placed. I still need to have my last follow up from my surgery and from there I will get their opinion on the new neck issues and I am going to request a referal to my original surgeon. I am hoping that should I need surgery at some point they can do just two or three level vs. C7-C1....that would stink. I'm encourage to hear that you had such a succesful outcome with your surgery. I have to say that at 2 years post op I think I can say I am healed. If it weren't for my neck I think I'd be doing pretty good! One day at a time :O)
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X