Congenital sciliosis question -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congenital sciliosis question -

My daughter who is 12 years old has congenital heart defect and scoliosis and heart defect was fixed thru surgery 4 years ago. Now her scoliosis due to hemi vertebrae is progressing and she is having a 45 degree curve on her lumber spine and the doctor in boston children's is planning to do surgery this summer. My questions are

1. After the surgery will she be able to grow more or she will be in the same height as now? Please share your experiences with congenital scoliosis.

2. Is it possible to correct congenital scoliosis thru minimally invasive method? If so please provide the doctors name in USA if any

3. Is it possible to bring down the curve thru chiropractic massages until she turns 18 ?

4.who is the best orthopedic surgeon in Boston children's. Currently we are going to doctor Hresko timothy.

Please answer ASAP. Thanks.

Hi,

I will answer your questions as best I can.

1. I assume the surgery you refer to is fusion surgery. That part of the spine which is fused will not be able to grow any further. The rest of her spine, her legs, etc. will of course grow normally. I'm not sure how much growth your daughter has left or what her Risser is, but girls usually finish growing sooner than boys so that's a good thing, as she may have done a good portion of her growing already. My daughter and I were both completely done growing by about age 14 - we were the same height at 14 as we are today (I'm 50, she's almost 20).

2. Sorry, I have no knowledge on this.

3. Whether we are talking congential or other scoliosis, chiropractic treatment has NEVER been proven to reduce curves.

4. My son was first diagnosed about a decade ago so I've been in the 'scoli world' for a while. By all accounts, Dr. Hresko is regarded as top notch by both his colleagues and the parents of his patients. I don't believe your daughter could be in better hands.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.
    mariaf305@yahoo.com
    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
      Hi,

I will answer your questions as best I can.

1. I assume the surgery you refer to is fusion surgery. That part of the spine which is fused will not be able to grow any further. The rest of her spine, her legs, etc. will of course grow normally. I'm not sure how much growth your daughter has left or what her Risser is, but girls usually finish growing sooner than boys so that's a good thing, as she may have done a good portion of her growing already. My daughter and I were both completely done growing by about age 14 - we were the same height at 14 as we are today (I'm 50, she's almost 20).

2. Sorry, I have no knowledge on this.

3. Whether we are talking congential or other scoliosis, chiropractic treatment has NEVER been proven to reduce curves.

4. My son was first diagnosed about a decade ago so I've been in the 'scoli world' for a while. By all accounts, Dr. Hresko is regarded as top notch by both his colleagues and the parents of his patients. I don't believe your daughter could be in better hands.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

Thanks for the reply. Yes It is going to be a fusion surgery. I have another question, After surgery, Is there any restriction in physical activity after the recovery period(9 months) like dancing, swimming, going on rollacoaster ride, running, walking or standing for more than 2 hours. Will she still be able to do all this like she is doing now?

Comment

I'm not sure how to answer this because it varies from surgeon to surgeon and may also be based on other, individual factors.

"In general" though, most patients can resume the majority of activities within about a year (such as sports, etc.).

There may be a few activities that some doctors prefer the patient not to participate in, in certain cases - (very bumpy roller coasters, horseback riding, trampoines) but again I'm really not sure - you would have to ask your doctor.

Hope this helps.
        mariaf305@yahoo.com
        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by mariaf View Post
          I'm not sure how to answer this because it varies from surgeon to surgeon and may also be based on other, individual factors.

"In general" though, most patients can resume the majority of activities within about a year (such as sports, etc.).

There may be a few activities that some doctors prefer the patient not to participate in, in certain cases - (very bumpy roller coasters, horseback riding, trampoines) but again I'm really not sure - you would have to ask your doctor.

Hope this helps.
          Thank you very much for answering my questions. I appreciate it.
          Gita.

Comment

Working...
          X