Thread: Another I&D

Unhappy Another I&D

Saw the surgeon and ID doc today. Going on Monday the 28th for another I&D. This one "pea size" area does not want to stay closed and heal. So frustrated I thought after the small rogue piece was removed everything woiuld get better but I feel worse now than I did at 3 months. This infection is kicking my butt.
    Finally got through to them about my need for pain med though. Took some tears and my husband getting a little angry.
    Thanks all for listening again . I'm gong to go have some percocet w/ my whine LOL
    51 yo
    dx 13 never braced
    DJD and osteoporosis ,Fx ribs 10/09(from osteo) downhill since,vertebral slippage w/ nerve damage and rotation
    Surgery 08/09/10 T1-S1 decomp,fusion w/ instrumentaion
    Sacral/pelvic fixation + 4 osteotomies and dura repair
    C 20 degrees to 4 degrees
    T 57 degrees to 15 degrees
    L 38 degrees to 5 degrees

Update

came home late yesterday. Removed 3 bolts and 3" of hardware from left side T1 down . they also opened up the incision quite a bit and cleaned out the rest. I have staples in and go back the 15th. I had a reaction ..metalurgis(sp?)Two differant metal reacting . Possibly the non stainless tools to my stainless hardware. The surgeon said the bolts were black..EEWWWWW!. He took pictures and was very curios about what happened.
    I feel like I'm back at 1 month post op except for the incision. I was too far out of it to know the pain for 2 weeks ;This sucker hurts . On oxyir 10 mgs every 4 hours . is helping but all I do is sleep. Time to lay down again
    Thanks for listening

Donna
    51 yo
    dx 13 never braced
    DJD and osteoporosis ,Fx ribs 10/09(from osteo) downhill since,vertebral slippage w/ nerve damage and rotation
    Surgery 08/09/10 T1-S1 decomp,fusion w/ instrumentaion
    Sacral/pelvic fixation + 4 osteotomies and dura repair
    C 20 degrees to 4 degrees
    T 57 degrees to 15 degrees
    L 38 degrees to 5 degrees

Ugh, I'm really sorry. That sounds yucky! Did they get all the infected areas out?

Hope you are feeling better soon! T1 to S1 must be close to a record--you deserve a break!

Evelyn
    age 44
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

That's what tears and husband are good for! I'm sorry you had to fight them on that issue. Good luck with everything, I hope it clears up asap!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees