Hello everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum. I have been signed up and reading posts for 2 or 3 weeks now but it's taken time for me to be upgraded to being post-worthy. The wait is over!
    My name is Billy and I'm a 23 year old male from London, UK. Was diagnosed with scoliosis at around 15 after noticing the lumps and bumps that we are all so familiar with and being whisked off to the Doctor. I was already at about a 40 degree Thoracic curve and a 30ish degree correctional Lumbar jobby which weren't giving me any grief. The doc said surgery wasn't necessary because it shouldn't progress but that I should come back every year or so to get it checked out. It was all good up until a couple of years ago when it started getting rather bad rather quick, and I'm now at 60deg T and 40ish L. I'm studying in my last year at music college at the moment, and have work booked over the summer so will probably be getting it sorted in September, giving me ample time to do my research!

I'm in some discomfort most days now which is affecting my work and mood. It's not really pain, just clicking and constantly not feeling straight (as obvious as that sounds), but I'm pulling it together with the thought that after September I'll be that little bit closer to becoming the Six Million Dollar Man - Which we all know is the reason we bent our spines out of shape in the first place.

Very much looking forward to meeting you all and thank you to Shari for helping me gain posting privileges!

Billy
    Billy
    32 year old male from UK
    Fused at 25yrs
    62 degree thoratic curve
    45 degree lumbar curve
    Fused T3-L1 on 3rd Jan 2012

Hello and welcome to the forum Billy. Your username is so cute and I can already tell that you have a wonderful sense of humour, lol.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Billy,
      Welcome to the forum. You'll get lots of good info from those who have been there! Let the ?'s fly when you've got 'em. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Ask as many questions as you like. Someone will answer them

Melissa

Comment

welcome to the forum billy feel free to ask any qeustions. by the way cute username
          Kara
          Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
          Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
          T4-L2
          Before 50T
          After 20T

Comment

Thanks for all the hellos! Having trawled my way through the forum for the past couple of weeks, most of my questions have been answered already, but one does spring to mind. I have seen TiEd's wonderful video of him skiing but I'm a rather keen on snowboarding and surfing which I think involve a little more twisting. Is this doable? Does it depend on the person? If someone could reply with an inspirational post-op surfing story, that would be a great relief! If you don't have one, I'm open to something fictional
            Billy
            32 year old male from UK
            Fused at 25yrs
            62 degree thoratic curve
            45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

welcome Bill
              i do not have any stories for you...

but i do know that my surgeon told me exercise post healing depends on where one is fused...to a large degree...
              fusion of complete lumbar region results in different restrictions...

although some of us just think TiEd may be a freak of nature...in a good way...as he seems to continue to defy all odds!
              i wouldnt be able to keep up with his activity level on my best day, when i was in my 20's, and before my scoli, herniated discs, spinal stenosis, hypokyphosis, etc etc got so bad! not on my VERY best day!!

jess

Comment

Hi Jess! Thanks for the response. My surgeon said the fusion will be going down to L3. He told me that after I heal properly and all fusion has done it's business etc.. I SHOULD be able to do anything I did before (apart from contact sports/bungee jumping/et al). Is this a realistic statement?

Also, looking more and more through the forum material, it seems as if scoliosis surgery without any hitches and/or post-op problems is quite rare... is this the case? Or is it just the nature of the forum, i.e people more regularly post about issues they have as opposed to the odd 'I'm doing great' thread?

Ordered the Wolpert book on scoliosis surgery and it arrived today! Looking forward to reading it and underlining the plethora of words I don't understand!! Any reviews from any of you guys?

Thanks for all help, again.

B
                Billy
                32 year old male from UK
                Fused at 25yrs
                62 degree thoratic curve
                45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

In general the younger you are, the fewer issues. I rarely see teenagers come back and post about problems after surgery. You're still young enough that I'd expect your after surgery experience to be more like the teenagers then like the older patients. So, I would say that you could reasonably expect a pretty uncomplicated recovery.

As far as activities, the only things I routinely hear being prohibited are things that pull your spine in two directions at once, like bungee jumping. Beyond that, I've seen young people do all kinds of crazy things after surgery.

The only long term complication I see on this forum is that scoliosis in your lumbar spine (whether you have surgery or not) may make you more prone to lower back problems as you age. Research on that is pretty hazy, and lower back problems are really common even in "normal" spines, but it might be worth asking your surgeon if he thinks that surgery will change that risk in either direction.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Your user name is clever. I plan to get back into golf after a year which involves twisting, however, unless I do as well as Ti-Ed, I think I'll have to have a changed swing. You're young and that helps!
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

hi Bill
                      i would write to people on forum who had their surgery to L 3 or 4...you should do great!!
                      you have youth...and a fusion that doesn't go to the pelvis...on your side!

jess

Comment

Hi Bill
                        Glad you like the ski vid.... I used to surf years ago, and on my many trips to Hawaii, I just never had the guts. You just don’t go hop on pipeline and write home to mom, you will be in for a very big surprise. I didn’t feel like I could handle the “wash cycle” any more. LOL

Snowboarding is fine, there should be no reason why you couldn’t do it, many do. The one thing about it is the fact that snowboarders seem to be crashing all the time, which is something that you want to avoid. You can crash, it’s the hard crashes that can be scary. Been there, done that.

Welcome to the forum.

Jess
                        I sometimes feel like I have been blessed, and I have. There are times I feel bad here when people don’t do as well with their recoveries, and its hard for me to reply sometimes. I think that since I did pay my dues, the many years of brutal pain, that someone truly was watching over me. I was prepared for the absolute worst. Dr Menmuir is a genius, he truly is. I also have high praise for Dr Rembetski,(vascular) and Dr Halki,(scoli) they were the senior level surgical team. There was an army of Doctors there for me, I cannot list them all, its quite a few....
                        Ed
                        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Golfnut - Let us know how your swing progresses in the future!

Jess - Thank you for your words of encouragement. I've come to the conclusion that you are the Mother Goose of the forum. How does that sit with you?

Ed - Don't get me wrong, I'm pretty sure I won't be dropping any 15 footers and time soon but, at the same time, resigning myself to a surfing life of ankle snappers is something I don't like the sound of. I'm hoping I'll find a middle ground.
                          Also, Is there somewhere I can read your whole story? Having only been here a short while, I've only read the wonderful happy ending and would be very interested in hearing about the rest!

B
                          Billy
                          32 year old male from UK
                          Fused at 25yrs
                          62 degree thoratic curve
                          45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Welcome BendyBill! The forum is a GREAT source of information and made all the difference in helping me get the information I needed to make an informed decision regarding surgery. You will get lots of help and support here with such a caring group of people. We've all been where you are so lets the questions roll! Take care.
                            Laurie Anne
                            Age 30
                            Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
                            Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
                            Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
                            PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
                            5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
                            1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

Aha! A proper question!
                              I have a muscle on my back that has been tense and protruding for years now. It's the one that runs next to, and parallel to the spine, from the top of the lumbar section into the thoracic (probably on the convex section of my lower curve). It has never given me any pain at all but I was just wondering, is this normal? Would this be my back trying to support the scoliosis or could it even have been something that caused it?

B
                              Billy
                              32 year old male from UK
                              Fused at 25yrs
                              62 degree thoratic curve
                              45 degree lumbar curve

Comment

Working...
                              X