No announcement yet.

Airport security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well don't forget Ed & Sharon, there was also the stupid underwear bomber!!! From what I understand, they pat you EVERYWHERE. Blahhhh

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
      Well don't forget Ed & Sharon, there was also the stupid underwear bomber!!! From what I understand, they pat you EVERYWHERE. Blahhhh
      Oh yeah I forgot about that! You're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar_Farouk_Abdulmutallab

It's a crazy world out there.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I thought I'd update this thread--we flew from Philly to the Bahamas. I think I lucked out because there was no X-Ray machine where we went through security, and I didn't kick of the metal detector, so no problem! No pat down for me!

It was the same going back home, no body scanner in the bahamas!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

So, how soon after surgery can you start flying again?

Hi Everyone,

I travel a fair amount for my job (well, when I get the budget for projects), and I realize I won't be able to fly for a while, but how soon after surgery is it safe to fly?
          Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
          Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
          Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
          Dr. Charles Edwards, II
          The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
          Before and after xrays:
          http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I never set off the alarm when I flew, with a back full of hardware. . .just walked through the detector and proceeded, like everyone else.

My daughter flew home for a visit 2 weeks ago, out of Reagan National in DC. . .she had a scalpel in her CARRY-ON (she had forgotten it was in there) and it went unnoticed by the TSA folks (she found it in her bag, once here, when she was retrieving articles she had brought home to read). However, TSA did confiscate a baggie of toiletries from her CHECKED luggage, because it contained a disposable razor (they left a form letter in her luggage).

I don't think we can predict what TSA will do when we go to the airport. . .it's a new adventure every time.
            Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
            Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
            Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Yea when is it safe to fly?

Mgs...Im dumbfounded at the inconsistencies in the airport security system. It all depends on the day and the mood of the agents it seems. What the hell was she gonna do with a checked razor? so stupid...so my question is when is it ok to fly...not that I really have a choice my daughter is graduating from college the end of may and Im not sitting in the car for five hours Im flying to Albany and she will pick me up for the hour's ride to Oneonta. Then I just booked a trip to Florida for the first week of June so I guess I'm asking after the cow is out of the barn but I would like to hear any tips or comments...thanks guys!
              Sarahcant
              Surgery March 15
              Dr. Errico NYU
              Fused T-3 to S-1
              an inch and change taller
              nice and straight
              49 years old (yikes)

Comment

I believe 4- 6 weeks should be ok.....ask your surgeon. You have to worry about blood clots. Better to play it safe.

After surgery, you should lay low and take it easy.

It doesn’t happen often, but I could imagine hitting what the pilots call “light chop” a very unpleasant feeling. Light chop can turn into "roller coaster" quickly......

I’ve been on planes where the drinks hit the ceiling.
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

yikes

yea I forgot about turbulence....better a drink to hit the ceiling than my head! I have so much trouble laying low and relaxing..but I'm working on it. Im def loving online shopping..better get back to work soon! Thanks for your response Ed!
                  Sarahcant
                  Surgery March 15
                  Dr. Errico NYU
                  Fused T-3 to S-1
                  nice and straight
                  49 years old (yikes)

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    I believe 4- 6 weeks should be ok.....ask your surgeon. You have to worry about blood clots. Better to play it safe.

After surgery, you should lay low and take it easy.

It doesn’t happen often, but I could imagine hitting what the pilots call “light chop” a very unpleasant feeling. Light chop can turn into "roller coaster" quickly......

I’ve been on planes where the drinks hit the ceiling.
                    Ed
                    My doctor just told me to take an aspirin before I travel whether I ride in a car or an airplane. Actually, he said everyone should do this before they travel.

Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

So, your question is not so much about airport security as about what, in your situation, constitutes safe travel? I second the "ask your doctor". . .it never dawned on me that blood clots, a couple months out, would still be a concern. I hear you. . .missing an offspring's graduation is like missing their wedding. . .we're just not going to let that happen!! (Congrats to you, and to your graduate!) If the distance travelled would be 5 hours by car, I gather that your flight will be rather short (2 hours, maybe?) - which is a good thing. Make sure you have pain meds w/you to help with discomfort, should they be needed.
                      I almost totally agree w/the aspirin advice, BUT. . .will a single aspirin, taken before an air trip, really do any good? I've never heard of that. . .I've only heard of taking low-dose ASA as part of a daily regimen. . .But, if a physican is advocating an ASA before any car trip, that would, for most of us, be a dose of ASA/day. BUT, what if you are in a car accident, and you're bleeding? If a single dose of ASA (though, if you are taking ASA before all car trips, that amounts to a steady dosing) could be of value in preventing a clot, could it not also be an agent that prevents clotting, so that you could keep bleeding, as you might in a car accident, and lose an excessive amount of blood? (OK, I am off topic - my apology in advance. My husband, who has LOTS of MI risk factors, takes a low-dose ASA every day, and has for a few years. However, in July, 2006, he was not yet taking the daily ASA - that was when he fell down our large flight of stairs, had multiple fractures, a concussion, and lacerations all over the place. . .if it wasn't broken, it was bleeding. . .the paramedics who responded, kindly mopped up the large pool of blood with towels and pillowcases, and tossed them behind a chair - and they were soaked through! - so that my younger children wouldn't see - just before they put him on the backboard and we went off in the ambulance. I AM SO GRATEFUL THAT HE WASN'T TAKING THE ASA AT THAT TIME, or I probably would have been a widow that night (by the later comment of doctors, not of my own appraisal). Just saying, from this traumatic experience, the notion of prophylactic aspirin therapy cuts both ways.
                      Last edited by mgs; 05-03-2011, 11:37 AM.
                      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
                      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
                      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

You are absolutely correct that the notion of aspirin therapy could cut both ways. However, if you were taking aspirin, the maximum dose allowable for several days in a row, you would definitely be in trouble if you were in a serious accident. Low dose aspirin affects some of the platelets that your body makes on a daily basis, but not all, so it gives you the advantage for hopefully preventing a heart attack, but the platelets not affected by the aspirin will hopefully prevent you from bleeding out if you are in a serious accident. I say serious because if you only had minor cuts, you can stop the bleeding with pressure.
                        It takes about 12 days for all of the platelets affected by aspirin to be replaced with new platelets.
                        Also, when traveling, either by car or airplane, it is a good idea to stop the car and get out and walk for a few minutes, and on an airplane, walk the aisles it they allow you to do that now. Anyone can form clots, not just people who have had recent surgery.
                        Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahcant View Post
                          Mgs...Im dumbfounded at the inconsistencies in the airport security system. It all depends on the day and the mood of the agents it seems. What the hell was she gonna do with a checked razor? so stupid...so my question is when is it ok to fly...not that I really have a choice my daughter is graduating from college the end of may and Im not sitting in the car for five hours Im flying to Albany and she will pick me up for the hour's ride to Oneonta. Then I just booked a trip to Florida for the first week of June so I guess I'm asking after the cow is out of the barn but I would like to hear any tips or comments...thanks guys!
                          Sarahcant... I work in a spine center where we get a lot of patients from out of town, and even out of the country. These patients routinely travel by plane within a week or two of surgery, but I agree that it's best to check with one's physician.

--LInda
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

The friendly skies.

Hi all,
                            Just got back from a flight to see Dr. Rand. I was all prepared for the "pat down" and glad to say it didn't happen either at the New Bern airport or the Providence airport. No x-ray for me either. Whew! I hope it doesn't happen at Raleigh-Durham or Seattle also when we fly out in a week or so to help celebrate my hubby's Aunt's 100th birthday.
                            Sally

Comment

airport update

Hi everyone just got back from graduation. Should have just driven! The flight going to Albany was delayed for three hours due to weather and then coming back it was delayed due to mechanical problems for four hours...so sitting in the airport was just as annoying as a car. I did not however set off any security systems but did get a wheelchair everywhere which was great...I didnt even have to wait on line! I walked around alot and I was fine. I asked my doc the aspirin question and he said if I wanted to I could take a baby asprin but since I dont have any clotting problems I should be fine. Glad thats over with...now on to Florida next week!
                              Sarahcant
                              Surgery March 15
                              Dr. Errico NYU
                              Fused T-3 to S-1
                              nice and straight
                              49 years old (yikes)

Comment

So, can't we get some kind of medical document/card stating we have heavy metal?

Last time I flew through Dulles, some older gentleman, who must have had a hip replacement, showed a card to the TSA guy and pointed to his hip. Can't recall, but pretty sure he just had to go through the regular metal detector.

Can't we get "cards" that would explain the hardware?
                                Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                                Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                                Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                                Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                                The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                                Before and after xrays:
                                http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                                X