LA Brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LA Brace

Is anyone familiar with the LA brace? Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with it?

Thank you!

I have not read very much about this but it seems to be a great idea. Also I think that the risk should to be high if it is used with the spine not deroted and straightened

Comment

The La Brace is one of few braces that actually works to derotate.
      1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
      2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
        The La Brace is one of few braces that actually works to derotate.
        It really derotates? I have only heard about good outcomes with the Spinecor, Gypsum brace (EDF) and Cheneau.

Comment

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but if I don't ask I will remain ignorant. What is an LA brace? Can it reach very high thoracic curves? Can it be used on adults? Thanks in advance!
          Be happy!
          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
          but we are alive today!

Comment

Never mind my last question. I looked it up. It looks like the Milwaukee brace is the only one that could reach where I need it to reach. I don't think they use it on adults and compliance is very low for obvious reasons... :-(
            Be happy!
            but we are alive today!

Comment

Roher, I don't know how works Milwaukee, but why do you think that EDF brace could not reach where you need?
              It's a simple and obvious concept, in fact I imagined it before reading about EDF technique. Why are you so sure that it can not work with you? I really don't understand.
              Last edited by flerc; 03-05-2011, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Yeah, same deal with my son who has a high thoracic curve.

Comment

It really derotates? I have only heard about good outcomes with the Spinecor, Gypsum brace (EDF) and Cheneau.
                  Yes, it's very similar to the Cheneau. It applies pressure to the convexities and allows space to expand into the concavities.

I don't mean to sound ignorant, but if I don't ask I will remain ignorant. What is an LA brace? Can it reach very high thoracic curves? Can it be used on adults? Thanks in advance!
                  It can be used on adults -- it is always custom made for the curve, but then additional alterations are made for the needs of the adult. I don't think it works for high thoracic curves -- it is a Cheneau-style underarm TLSO.
                  1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
                  2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by flerc View Post
                    Roher, I don't know how works Milwaukee, but why do you think that EDF brace could not reach where you need?
                    It's a simple and obvious concept, in fact I imagined it before reading about EDF technique. Why are you so sure that it can not work with you? I really don't understand.
                    I'm not quite sure I ever understood what EDF is. A Milwaukee brace stabilizes the entire spine and has a chin rest. It's not something that can be hidden under clothing.
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...or-my-daughter
                      I have never heard it could not works in some kind of curve. I suppose that when the curve is decreases and derotated, the gypsum brace not allowed it to increase again.

Comment

Oh, yes. I remember now. I looked it up. It's plaster casting. I can't imagine any practitioner that would put me in a plaster cast. I still don't think that would work unless there was some way to keep the stretch on the cervical and upper thoracic spine. I'm getting older and don't think I'm flexible enough to consider that. If I were 12 years old, then yes.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                          Oh, yes. I remember now. I looked it up. It's plaster casting. I can't imagine any practitioner that would put me in a plaster cast. I still don't think that would work unless there was some way to keep the stretch on the cervical and upper thoracic spine. I'm getting older and don't think I'm flexible enough to consider that. If I were 12 years old, then yes.
                          If the lack of flexibility is so irreversible, how can surgery reduce degrees?

Comment

In especially stiff spines, I have seen procedures where they actually remove the discs to create flexibility. They insert cages along with rods and screws to get the correction that they want.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

They also do wedge osteotomies.

At some point, the properties of the screws and rods simply overcome the spine and force it straighter. Some braces on some kids can do this but only temporarily. No brace is claimed to work on a mature spine for permanent straightening or even halting progression.
                              Last edited by Pooka1; 03-06-2011, 08:50 AM.
                              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X