Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revision Surgery/ Doc info NYC area/ Anyone fused to sacrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jowilly, I'm thinking of you and hope your surgery goes great on Wednesday! If you get Amanda as your nurse in the SICU, you're a lucky duck - she's fantastic.

I have a follow-up with Grauer tomorrow morning so I'll be sure to tell him to get a great night's sleep before coming in Wednesday. I only had posterior first-time surgery but am 8 weeks out tomorrow and doing really well. I know you will have a great result too.

If someone can report in and let us know how you're doing, that would be great.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Packing

Thanks Lil. Any advice anyone want to share about what to pack//not to pack? Think I'll feel well enough for my iPad? What else to bring or not bring?

Comment

Get thee some Colgate Wisp no-water toothbrushes. I instructed my husband to clean my teeth with a wisp and administer Burts Bees lip balm immediately post-op. Highly recommend the Wisps.

I brought jammies but never changed out of a gown until I left for home. Bring a lot of socks with no-slip bottoms. Dry shampoo is critical - if you have Ulta or Sephora nearby, I really like the Oscar Blandi brand. The nurses in SICU helped me with that. Otherwise, I had my kindle and phone but was too wiped to call anyone or read anything. Mostly I slept. I don't even think I ever turned on the TV.

They have excellent double barrier lotion there. The massage things they put on your legs to keep your circulation going felt really good to me almost always, but I did have hallucinations at one point when I was in a lot of pain that I had worms in my legs. Gag! However they felt so good that I thought people were actually massaging my calves, and was surprised to find out that it was just those pads. So enjoy those. When everything else hurts at least your calves will feel good.

For home, I would suggest you get the # for your local Rent a Center. We rented an electric recliner a few days after I got home, and still have it. It has been home base for me and helps you stand up in those early weeks. I slept in it for 3 hrs at night, then moved to my bed, then back to the recliner and so on for the first 2 weeks at home before I could sleep all night in my bed. For $25 a week it's a steal in my opinion.

Oh -moist face wipes for washing your face also. They'll give you a hot wash cloth but I used these as well. That's really about it.

I'll be thinking of you and rooting for you! I told Grauer to get a good night's sleep and he said you'd been through the ringer, but he was sure he'd be able to improve your situation immensely. I said he better or I'd be in big trouble for recommending him! He's a very nice man and I really like his staff.

Please keep us updated! A/P is a major surgery but you are in great hands.
        Female, age 38
        now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Jowilly, how are you doing? Hope all is well and that recovery is going smoothly.
          Female, age 38
          now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Dear Jody
            Im having surgery on August 17 with Boachie. Its a 9 hr revision surgery. He "works" with insurance and this may surprise you and not cost much at all! Cammisa does not take insurance either, but they all seem to "work" with your insurance companies. It may be well worth the consultation to see him and to try. I was very impressed with his knowledge and he is the only one impressing me right now. He is doing a posterior approach only and that I like!!!
            I need 3 osteotomies, further fusions, and laminectomies. 53 years old.
            scared to death!!!!
            Best of luck
            Cindi

Originally posted by jowilly View Post
            Hi everyone. Need some advice... I am fused with a Harrington Rod from T-6 to L-4 (1985, Dr. Keim). I've had pain for the last 20 years or so but lately it's gotten worse. I'm now 39 and have an 8 month old baby who is growing like a weed which doesn't help the situation. I saw a Dr. in Westchester today who I was not so fond of. I know I need revision surgery but I can't accept it yet. I also know that I will need an osteotomy and need to be fused to the sacrum which scares the cr*p out of me. Wondering if anyone can recommend a few good docs in the NYC area. (I saw a few a while back: Cammissa, Neuwirth and others.) Never saw Boachie b/c he doesn't work w/ insurance companies. If you know any others, please let me know. Also, if anyone has had experience with an osteotomy and being fused to the sacrum, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks so much,
            Jody

Comment

Hi Jody, I had revision surgery May 9 and June 21, at Johns Hopkins, Dr. Kahaled Kebaish, I live in NJ, he did a POS, and fused to sacrum, I could not stand upright without support, and leaning to the right, now I am stright as an arrow, and he got me 2 1/2 to 3 inches taller,you are not to far from Hopkins, check him out. good luck, LU

Comment

Working...
              X