Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Revision Surgery/ Doc info NYC area/ Anyone fused to sacrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when i saw Boachie 5 years ago, he was still taking the "top of the line" insurance companies...the ones that paid top dollar...i guess he stopped doing that...
    but he does take insurance assignment...so if your insurance company pays you, the patient, you sign the payment over to Boachie...
    i used to have a rheumatologist in NYC who had a daughter who had surgery with Boachie...i suspect it was a "doctor to doctor" favor, but i am not sure...

jess

Comment

I have good insurance - and secondary insurance. I was quoted $49,700 from Boachie's office, and understood that I would need to pay that up front to HSS, and then work with my insurance on getting reimbursement. I don't have that kind of cash laying around for starters, and secondly I find it to be a bit... diva.

Sorry, I know I am in the vast minority here but I really didn't care for HSS, the back of Boachie's head (which is what I primarily saw of him - he barely made eye contact with me), or that I spent the majority of my $450 consultation NOT with Boachie but with a fellow who seemed to know little about adult scoli.
      Female, age 38
      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
      currently 64*upper/40*lower
      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

i am so sorry to hear that it has gone downhill at Boachie's office!
        it was so different when i saw him for my consult!

i think few people can put that kind of money up front!
        perhaps the good doctor is under the mistaken impression that all Americans have money....
        i am sorry to say that it sounds more to me as if he just doesn't care...
        and that is a good reason NOT to want him for one's surgeon...
        especially when i honestly believe that there are other scoli surgeons who are just as good...if not better...and theyb take insurance! that is just my opinion...
        other surgeons travel to poor countries and operate on children and adults for free...i don't know all of the ones who do that...but i do know that Dr Lonner does...

i think it stinks that hard working people can be treated in such a way!
        of course, i guess money has always bought the best medical care in this country...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
          especially when i honestly believe that there are other scoli surgeons who are just as good...if not better...and theyb take insurance! that is just my opinion...
          other surgeons travel to poor countries and operate on children and adults for free...i don't know all of the ones who do that...but i do know that Dr Lonner does...

i think it stinks that hard working people can be treated in such a way!
          of course, i guess money has always bought the best medical care in this country...

jess
          I agree, Jess, that you CAN find a top-notch surgeon who won't bankrupt you - and also that guys like Dr. Lonner also do plenty of charitable work.

I also agree with you that money has always bought the best medical care in this country and that is absolutely true - with one exception - Shriners Hospitals (of course they only treat kids). But the one thing I have always said - and one of the things I love about Shriners - is that they have some of the best docs money can buy - and since they don't charge the patient's family for their services, a child from a poor family can get the same level of care as the child of a rich family...which is the way healthcare should be IMHO, but usually isn't.
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

that is so true, Maria...

i think that hospital Danny Thomas started has the same policy of treating all kids equally, too...

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              that is so true, Maria...

i think that hospital Danny Thomas started has the same policy of treating all kids equally, too...

jess
              St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index...001e0215acRCRD
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

http://www.stjude.org/stjude/v/index...000e2015acRCRD

Financial Responsibility
                All patients accepted for treatment at St. Jude are treated without regard to the family's ability to pay. St. Jude covers all costs of treatment at St. Jude beyond those reimbursed by third-party insurers, and total costs at St. Jude when no insurance is available. St. Jude also provides assistance with transportation costs and local living expenses during treatments (see Travel and Where to Stay in Related Topics).
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

yes...that one...

it is good that there are some places in America that are...and remain...charitable!

jess

Comment

Totally agree with your comments up thread here, folks!! Janet
                    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Yes, St. Jude's operates the same way that Shriners does. The work that they do is wonderful and selfless as well.

The only difference is that up until recently Shriners did not accept reimbursement from the patient's insurance if they were fortunate enough to have it. They paid for everything themselves through donations from corporations and individuals and through their endowment fund. This way, they did not have to answer to anyone for their decisions and could base them solely on what was in the patient's best interest.

However, with the downturn in the economy these past years, they were forced to reconsider - and then last summer a few of the Shriners hospitals (I believe it was 3, including Philly) became part of a pilot program to start recouping some of the cost of care from insurance companies. I've spoken to several folks at Shriners including one high-ranking member who was at the meeting where they voted on this measure - and I have been assured that the level of care will not be compomised IN ANY WAY.

IMHO, overall it was a good move - why shouldn't insurance companies pay their fair share? I know that my husband and I, like most folks, are charged by our employers for a portion of our insurance premiums. Nobody knows how much insurance companies will pay for various procedures and treatments (we know how they love to reject and deny claims!), but whatever it is, it's better than nothing.
                      Last edited by mariaf; 02-18-2011, 08:28 AM.
                      mariaf305@yahoo.com
                      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

And what a wonderful testimony to the power of prayer is the story behind St. Jude’s. Without Danny Thomas and his strong faith in the intercessory power of St. Jude, the patron saint of impossible causes, this great research center would be non-existent. Every life has a mission.

Comment

Originally posted by Karen Ocker View Post
                          I sent a private message. Dr. Boachie does take out-of-network benefits. It depends on your insurance.
                          Neuwirth is getting up there in age. I've hear excellent things about Lonner and Errico.
                          Dr's Neuwirth and Boachie are the same age.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by jowilly View Post
                            Hi everyone. Need some advice... I am fused with a Harrington Rod from T-6 to L-4 (1985, Dr. Keim). I've had pain for the last 20 years or so but lately it's gotten worse. I'm now 39 and have an 8 month old baby who is growing like a weed which doesn't help the situation. I saw a Dr. in Westchester today who I was not so fond of. I know I need revision surgery but I can't accept it yet. I also know that I will need an osteotomy and need to be fused to the sacrum which scares the cr*p out of me. Wondering if anyone can recommend a few good docs in the NYC area. (I saw a few a while back: Cammissa, Neuwirth and others.) Never saw Boachie b/c he doesn't work w/ insurance companies. If you know any others, please let me know. Also, if anyone has had experience with an osteotomy and being fused to the sacrum, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks so much,
                            Jody

I am fused to the sacrum. What can I help you with?
                            Melissa

Comment

i find it very interesting that Boachie and Neuwirth are the same age!

i didn't think either was too old for surgeries...
                              but i do hope there are young surgeons starting practices in the field...
                              none of these surgeons will be operating forever, after all...not even the great ones!

jess

Comment

Out of pocket? No Way!!! Listen to this!

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                                Now I have to ask. If Dr. Boachie doesn't take 'any' medical insurance plans does that mean that he takes cash only and if so does that mean that people are paying $150K out their pockets to him!? O_o
                                If you are thinking$150K coming out of the pocket would be hard, hear this. My first surgery and second(revision) surgery were both over $300,000 dollars! But ofcourse, my surgeon accepted my insurance. I just thought $150,000 dollars sounds cheap for scoli surgery. Mine was done in Sioux Falls So. Dak.
                                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                                This started adult onset scoliosis
                                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                                May 30th 2013 revision
                                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X