Thread: Revision Surgery/ Doc info NYC area/ Anyone fused to sacrum?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Revision Surgery/ Doc info NYC area/ Anyone fused to sacrum?

Hi everyone. Need some advice... I am fused with a Harrington Rod from T-6 to L-4 (1985, Dr. Keim). I've had pain for the last 20 years or so but lately it's gotten worse. I'm now 39 and have an 8 month old baby who is growing like a weed which doesn't help the situation. I saw a Dr. in Westchester today who I was not so fond of. I know I need revision surgery but I can't accept it yet. I also know that I will need an osteotomy and need to be fused to the sacrum which scares the cr*p out of me. Wondering if anyone can recommend a few good docs in the NYC area. (I saw a few a while back: Cammissa, Neuwirth and others.) Never saw Boachie b/c he doesn't work w/ insurance companies. If you know any others, please let me know. Also, if anyone has had experience with an osteotomy and being fused to the sacrum, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks so much,
    Jody

recommend Dr Lonner, and Dr Neuwirth, both in Manhattan...
    i see that you already went to Neuwirth...
    so also recommend Dr Errico

sending you a private message...
    best of luck
    jess

Jody, I'm having surgery a month from today with Dr Grauer at Yale. I don't know if New Haven is too far from you, but we have researched him fifteen ways from Sunday, spoken with other patients of his, etc. and he has been described as "incredibly anal retentive" and "meticulous". I like his bedside manner which says A LOT about a surgeon.

Just adding another option. Best of luck and I'm really sorry you're going through this. That is a frightening prospect, to the sacrum - I'm hoping to avoid that by going through my surgery now. Hugs to you.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

I used Boachie

I sent a private message. Dr. Boachie does take out-of-network benefits. It depends on your insurance.
    Neuwirth is getting up there in age. I've hear excellent things about Lonner and Errico.
    Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
    Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Jody - I just had revision surgery on December 7, 2010 with Dr. Boachie from L3 to sacrum. My original surgery was in 1981 with Dr. Keim and I too have the Harrington Rod from T4 to L3. I am ten weeks post-surgery and feel great. I was crippled with pain prior and have been in Dr. Boachie's care since 2002. I was scared as well and when he said in 2008 I needed the revision, I couldn't commit until last summer. I could not take the pain anymore. I feel like a different person. Life is so much better. Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Dr. Errico is also a highly recommended revision surgeon in NYC. Good luck, LYNN
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

I am fused to the sacrum, and also had osteotomies. Granted, I am probably the last person that you would want to have reply to your thread with their experience. But, if I can help with any questions I'd be happy to
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Ocker View Post
    I sent a private message. Dr. Boachie does take out-of-network benefits. It depends on your insurance.
    Neuwirth is getting up there in age. I've hear excellent things about Lonner and Errico.
    Dr's Neuwirth and Boachie are the same age.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by jowilly View Post
    Hi everyone. Need some advice... I am fused with a Harrington Rod from T-6 to L-4 (1985, Dr. Keim). I've had pain for the last 20 years or so but lately it's gotten worse. I'm now 39 and have an 8 month old baby who is growing like a weed which doesn't help the situation. I saw a Dr. in Westchester today who I was not so fond of. I know I need revision surgery but I can't accept it yet. I also know that I will need an osteotomy and need to be fused to the sacrum which scares the cr*p out of me. Wondering if anyone can recommend a few good docs in the NYC area. (I saw a few a while back: Cammissa, Neuwirth and others.) Never saw Boachie b/c he doesn't work w/ insurance companies. If you know any others, please let me know. Also, if anyone has had experience with an osteotomy and being fused to the sacrum, I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks so much,
    Jody

I am fused to the sacrum. What can I help you with?
    Melissa

i find it very interesting that Boachie and Neuwirth are the same age!

i didn't think either was too old for surgeries...
    but i do hope there are young surgeons starting practices in the field...
    none of these surgeons will be operating forever, after all...not even the great ones!

jess

Dear Jody
    Im having surgery on August 17 with Boachie. Its a 9 hr revision surgery. He "works" with insurance and this may surprise you and not cost much at all! Cammisa does not take insurance either, but they all seem to "work" with your insurance companies. It may be well worth the consultation to see him and to try. I was very impressed with his knowledge and he is the only one impressing me right now. He is doing a posterior approach only and that I like!!!
    I need 3 osteotomies, further fusions, and laminectomies. 53 years old.
    scared to death!!!!
    Best of luck
    Cindi

Quote Originally Posted by jowilly View Post
    Jody