Thread: Cardio suggestions?

Cardio suggestions?

The recent post about a punching bag reminded me of something I've been wanting to ask here. I've been doing yoga, some pilates, PT exercises, etc and though I think they've been helpful I know it's important that we all get some cardio-type activity as well. It may also be the winter, but I've been getting the urge to move about in a more energetic way. My PT suggested running, which surprised me because of the impact. It's also freezing out and I am in a city, so it's not the most jogging friendly environment.

I'm curious, what cardio activities are other members using?

Wii fit is a blast, burns cals, gives you lots of different ways to get in an aerobic workout, etc.

I bought it specifically for post-op use during recovery but we haven't been able to resist so far. Doesn't take up a lot of space and can be played regardless of the weather outside.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Thanks, both, for the good suggestions. I love to walk, and when it is warm out I do it quite a lot. I'm in cramped apartment, so that would be a possibly prohibiting factor a treadmill. I hadn't even considered a Wii!

If you have friends with Wii, you can even play "against" them remotely. Highly recommend, because it will encourage you to do more and get a higher score on the different games to beat them.
    Female, age 38
    now 32*upper/18* lower

This sounds fun. I have been thinking about getting a Wii for a long time now. I think this just sealed the deal! :-)

Just FYI - you buy a Wii for $125 or whatever it is, and then you buy a Wii Fit Plus which is around $99. The Wii Fit Plus is a balance board that you stand on. It tracks your progress on weight, balance, etc. - there are a LOT of balance games which I think will help me track my recovery, because right now when I am in pain, it's clear that my balance is really far off center. I expect that in 6-8 months I will be much more centered and my little Mii will jump up and down with glee.

I really like the balance games and think they will be very helpful for recovery. When you shift muscles 1-2" from where they've been for decades, compensation will be hard to achieve, so hopefully I can retrain my muscle memory by doing activities where I have to be cognizant of my center balancing.

Naturally this is in addition to regular Physical Therapy, by which I patently swear. My surgeon was "pretty impressed" with the correction he could get simply with traction for my pre-op x-rays. I maintain that is in part to 1) my age and 2) that I've had weekly traction stretching for a year in PT.

/end hijack
    Female, age 38
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lilysaidwhat View Post
    If you have friends with Wii, you can even play "against" them remotely. Highly recommend, because it will encourage you to do more and get a higher score on the different games to beat them.
    Hijack away! It's all useful information, so I (and I am sure others) appreciate it. When I was at PT, a saw a therapist suggest Wii fit to her patient, but for some reason I didn't consider it for myself at that point.

So, when do we start the scoliosis Wii league? Tennessee Thoracics vs London Lumbars?

Smile

Well, if those are the teams I'm afraid I'm a fence sitter.
    Female, age 38
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Me, too, actually- I was looking for alliteration over locations - but I am flexible.

I'm curious, has anyone else found other good cardio options?