Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hello, rant, & some questions

Hi everyone,

My name's michelle, I'm 18 & from Australia. I am in a wheelchair due to Spina Bifida, & have had scoliosis since a very young age. For some odd reason I had a brace but was never really pushed into actually wearing it. Had first surgery when I was 12 (1999), to fuse/rod most of my back. This was a bit of a disaster, first with being given water to drink soon after surgery (only meant to be Gatorade apparently), which could have made my spinal cord swell & get damaged, or even my brain (which could have killed me); the epidural was in a wrong spot, so was giving me no pain relief, although did kindly leave part of my back & chest numb; they also stuffed up with rolling me, kicking me out of ICU against my doctors wishes, & discharging me to go home 350km away when in reality I wasn't even meant to be out of hospital for another week, let alone travelling!! For the next couple of months I was on high doses of liquid morphine, with ondanzatron (a really strong drug for stopping vomiting/nausea in chemotherapy patients), neither of which worked particularly well.

In 2001 had to have them extended into my pelvis. This was not such a bad experience as the last surgery because the epidural gave me a little relief, although it was still very painful.

Now, just yesterday my orthopaedic surgeon who has operated on my legs & feet performed a moving x-ray. He tells me that I am one of the "rare lucky ones" who continued to experience spinal growth, & as a result I need to have the whole dang lot replaced - soon. 3rd major surgery in 5 yrs. NOT a happy camper He is writing to my spinal orthopaedic surgeon, & I will soon have an appointment with him (hopefully).

So....I am wondering if anybody has experienced this growth after their surgery, & had successful correction of it? Is it very rare? My leg/foot orthopod said something about there having been advances in rods since I had the harringtons put in - can anybody tell me anything about these & how successful they are?? Also (slightly off-topic), someone I met in hospital a few years back had been in to get rods right up into her neck. The idea freaked me right out & I had never heard of it before, but is this common? I suffer from a lot of neck pain - someone please tell me scoliosis doesn't affect the neck please?!

I'm so completely scared to be going through this again, & have had it with being in hospitals, with having major surgery (not just scoliosis related), & with all the risks that come along with it - frightened every time I go into the theatre that I will die on the table or even worse, come out in even worse shape than I already am. And that this time will be as horrible or worse than the first time.

Anyways, thanks a million for reading this very long, boring & jumbled post, I hope it is understandable. Sorry for whinging, I'm just so glad I have found some people who might understand & be able to give me some answers. Goodluck to everybody else here having surgery.

michelle.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 12-01-2004, 01:49 AM.

That is quite a story :-/. No need to apologise about ranting, it can be a very helpful thing. And even though people can only "read" and offer advice, it is nice to kno that people are "listening" and care.

I did have one question, are you sure that they're Harrington Rods??, I thought that Harrington Rods stopped being used in the late 80's / early 90's. My fusion surgery as in 1999 also and in Australia and I kno that they didn't use Harrington Rods.

I think you can get scoliosis in the neck, I'm not sure if its actually called scoliosis, torticoliosis comes to mind, but once again I'm not 100 percent sure :-)

Best luck and feel free to rant, there's lots of people here to listen and give advice and support

Alison

Comment

Hi Alison, thanks for replying so fast.

Yes, I'm about 99% sure they are harrington rods, although I'm not sure why he would have used them if they're not very good...

Anyways my brain's kinda gone numb & blank so I don't remember what else I was going to write lol.

Thanks again,
      michelle.

Comment

Working...
      X