Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Three mo. out of second surgery.(not doing good!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three mo. out of second surgery.(not doing good!)

Hi all, I have been on here before. But not for a while. I will give you a short review of my situation. I had a surgery in 2006 to fuse L3/4&L4/5. Anyway, fast forward to 2010-I developed scoliosis from the 2006 surgery. And went in for surgery July1st 2010. They fused me from pelvic to T8.(with rods and screws) And Three months later I had saggital imbalance-flatback. So Oct.20 2010 I went back into surgery and they extended rods up to T2. Now I felt great coming out and recovery wasn't to bad. And I was straight. But little by little I started to have some problems with a bit of a pitch forward . I am now three and a half mo. out of surgery . But the surgeon didn't seem concerned and sent me to physical therapy.(gait training) I had problems with muscle spasms right from the beginning. But they are suppose to know what theyare doing. So I did start having more strength-but I woke up yesterday in a lot of pain and can't walk very well. Bent forward and pain everywhere. I have been to therapy only seven times, and don't know what to do. What if they are working on my back too hard with massage and excersises and all. Its a pretty big work out for me. I am 58 and havn't done any excesise in yrs. I was feeling pretty good for a couple days and then went down hill. I couldn't hardly do the routine last time I was there. Very depressed and in pain. Also, have any of you had screws that accually push your skin out. The ones way down in the lower back area are doing that. Even after the first surgery in July. I think they are worse sense P.T. I can't stand to sit against anything, and they are painful. The surgeons said perhaps they could take them out someday. I'm not suppose to see my surgeon for three more months. Also the P.A. said he had never worked on anyone like me with so much metal and all!! I am really hurting in the middle and lower back and left shoulder area. Just wondering if I am just over reacting or is it something to worry about? I need to hear from some of you to know what you think. Thanks so much for listening. You are a great bunch. boomer
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Hi boomer. Nice to see you here again but wish it was under better circumstances. I really don't know what to offer but since there have been no replies yet, I can only say that I feel that you have been overdoing it and I think that maybe you need to do absolutely nothing for a few days and give your back muscles time to settle. If there's no improvement though, I would most definitely phone your surgeon because perhaps you're far out from surgery enough to have some anti-inflammatories, which might help a lot. I don't think you should take them without his permission though. I hope that's all it is - inflammation from overdoing the pt/massage/exercise. As you say, you're 58 and you haven't done much exercise in a long time. I wonder if the pt took that into consideration. Your back has taken a hell of a beating and maybe it needs to be treated with a little more respect for a little while. Best of luck and let us know how you go.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'd be tempted to stop the pt. My surgeon doesn't have his patients go to PT at all. I went for a few sessions (through a sports med doc, when I was 8 mos post-op, because I wanted to start exercising again, and wanted a little guidance so I wouldn't hurt myself). The pt guy was very definite that I should not do anything that hurt, and if I had pain w/anything he asked me to do, tell him, and we'd cease it immediately. Also, he always asked, at the beginning of a session, if I had any pain after our previous session, so he could see if what we were doing was OK. Also, it seems to me that I remember reading on this forum of at least one person who was hurt by a pt who didn't have the correct experience. My husband, also, has met a woman who had this surgery and PT was a disaster for her (I don't recall the particulars).

Jennifer G's idea about asking if you can take an anti-inflammatory (ie, Advil) is a wonderful one. In my current state, narcotics help, but I definitely need the Advil in order to be reasonably comfortable.

The screws question. . .I've never had that, but could feel the upper portion of a rod (at T-3) when I felt there, but it didn't cause discomfort. Yes, hardware can be removed after you are fused, but that will be a while.
      I am so sorry that you are in pain. I am trying to do w/as little oxycodone as I can (another story). My sports med doc said that I shouldn't be too stoic, though, because staying in pain makes people depressed. I think a lot of us have found that to be true.
      Keep us posted, and I hope you feel better.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

I am considered a thin person and I can feel the hard areas bumpy where the screws are on my back. Especially on one side of the incision more than the other due to some rotation. I feel the rods all the time at 4 1/2 months post op of a t-2 to t-11 fusion. I tried physcial therapy but have cancelled my apts now due to severe new pain. I am told I am only 50% fused, some areas are and some arent. I feel the rods in every movement. Its awful..I feel the screws alot when laying down and no longer lay back on any chairs. I hope your pain gets better.

Comment

Hi Leanne,

I'm sorry you're feeling uncomfortable about the rods and screws. For me, I can feel them when I lean back against a hard chair-back and when I swing my arms when I'm walking, I can feel movement against my rods. I also have one screw up high that sticks out a little bit. But at 2 years post op, I no longer notice it. I hope this happens to you too. Perhaps it's just a matter of time.

Sometimes it takes much longer than 4.5 months to fuse so don't give up. I wonder if your PT understands scoli surgery patients. Sometimes I think PTs expect a little bit much, especially early out. I had no PT at all and I'm fine, so if you give up on it, it may do you more good than harm? Do you walk every day? The walking promotes healing and fitness, and being out in the fresh air lifts your spirits. I still walk 3 - 6 days a week.

Give yourself a little more time and good luck!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
          X