Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advanced Maternal Age Associated with AIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
    That's interesting. My son has a muscular imbalance, from a very early age, probably also brought on by something in the birth process. He had years of occupational therapy to try to get him back in balance.
    That is also very interesting!

Comment

hey Maria
      sounds good...
      i've been known to stop in to a pub or two...especially while waiting in Penn Station for chronically late Amtrak....

maybe we could get together in the spring...
      'cause are due to get 7 more inches tonite/tomorrow...then ice on Wednesday...
      i saw that NYC is due to get one inch of snow, then some"mixed precipitation"....

i bet the Ground Hog is too freaked to come out of his cave on Wednesday....
      and that is part of Sparky's birthday celebration!
      (can't believe he'll be an old man of 4)

jess

Comment

I can tell from the quotes that Pooka1 made the claim that the rate of Scoliosis is the same throughout the world and the incidence doesn't fluctuate over time? 8-)

I'm still waiting for somebody to produce the study that supports that contention.

I've got a feeling that Pooka1 is still making things up at random which is one reason she's still on my ignore list.
        Last edited by Dingo; 01-31-2011, 06:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post
          I can tell from the quotes that Pooka1 made the claim that the rate of Scoliosis is the same throughout the world and the incidence doesn't fluctuate over time? 8-)

I'm still waiting for somebody to produce the study that supports that contention.

I've got a feeling that Pooka1 is still making things up at random which is one reason she's still on my ignore list.
          Speaking of quotes, here's some interesting quotes from you...(emphasis added)

Originally posted by Dingo
          Ogilvie is suggesting that Scoliosis is caused by heredity. Unfortunately for his hypothesis no childhood genetic disease hits 2%+/- of children around the world.
          Ogilvie is going to be wrong, and when he's proven wrong remember that you heard it here first.
          Could you send me a link to the book or article that explains the genetic cause of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliois? It would help me a ton. I'll forward it to Dr. Ogilvie. It will advance his research by at least 20 years and allow him to avoid a lot of pesky experiments and papers.
          BTW I try to keep my posts simple but I do know quite a bit about genetics.
          I'd love to interview the scientist who wrote that. I'm confident I could bring him back to earth.
          Do you see any issue with these?
          Last edited by Pooka1; 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM.
          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

seriously low blow!

Sharon, i have never known you to "make up" anything...
            and i trust your intelligence...
            i also believe in your integrity....

i do not see the need to attack anyone's character on this forum...

just plain nasty!

who's next to be attacked...?

jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
              seriously low blow!

Sharon, i have never known you to "make up" anything...
              and i trust your intelligence...
              i also believe in your integrity....

i do not see the need to attack anyone's character on this forum...

just plain nasty!

who's next to be attacked...?

jess
              Thanks Jess but it really is neither here nor there.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo View Post

I thought it was just a too quick scan of the sentence - reading (my memory - too lazy to check ) "worldwide rate of 4% (indicating a steady rate worldwide which had been systematically measured)" instead of "worldwide rate of up to 4% (indicating a fluctuating rate which may reach as high as 4% and which there was (maybe) incomplete data for).

I don't believe any of us have been able to find a reference which shows whether there's a stable or changing rate of scoliosis over time/space. That's sort of epidemiology 101, so I'm not sure why that information isn't more readily available.

Comment

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1265794-overview

(Emphasis added)

Scoliosis has been suggested to develop more frequently in children born to mothers who are aged 27 years or older.29 One might hypothesize that gene fragility might be involved (eg, higher rate of infants with Down syndrome born to older mothers). The precise explanation as to why this might be the case has not been elucidated. In addition to this, no other authors have duplicated these results.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

(post deleted)

DOH! Nevermind. I did copy/paste all those numbers and the prevalence was all 0.03 because these are calculated not actual.
                    Last edited by Pooka1; 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...netic-diseases

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

http://journals.lww.com/spinejournal...iosis_.12.aspx

The Natural History of Idiopathic Scoliosis: Incidence of Treatment in 15 Cohorts of Children Born Between 1963 and 1977

Montgomery, Fredrik MD; Willner, Stig MD
                        Collapse Box
                        Abstract

Study Design. This study analyzed the incidence of treatment of scoliosis using a cross-sectional and a longitudinal technique.

Objectives. To follow the incidence of treated scoliosis in Malmö, Sweden, in children born between 1970 and 1977 and compare observations with those of a study from 1988, in which the incidence of this disorder was followed in children born between 1963 to 1969.

Summary of Background Data. During the late 1970s and early 1980s, the incidence of treated scoliosis decreased yearly in Malmö. This trend was supported by other reports. However, introduction of worldwide screening for scoliosis was a confounding factor. When cohorts of children born between 1963 and 1969 were analyzed, no change was found. In a study in Malmö in 1988, this was shown to be an effect of using a longitudinal instead of a cross-sectional technique of analyzing the data.

Methods. In a cross-sectional study, the authors registered all new treatments for idiopathic scoliosis, brace treatments, or direct surgery, for each year between 1984 and 1993. In a longitudinal study, all new treatments in each cohort of children born between 1970 and 1977 were followed. The results were compared with figures from the 1988 study.

Results. After the introduction of school screening in 1976, a peak in the incidence of treated scoliosis was seen in 1977. After a continuous decrease in the incidence until 1983, a steady state developed. In cohorts born between 1963 and 1977, the incidence is neither increasing nor decreasing.

Conclusions. In cohorts of children followed in a longitudinal study over a 15-year period (born between 1963 and 1977), there is no support for a change in the natural history of idiopathic scoliosis.
                        I'll try to find the highlighted ref.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/11/2/101.full.pdf

Table 1 but note caveats.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

And a last thought on this topic (before it literally bores me to tears).

Undoubtedly I'm missing something in genetics, but why would a genetic trait necessarily have a constant value worldwide? Blond hair has a clear genetic basis and yet varies wildly between countries (even not counting artificial blonds). I suspect (but don't know) that the US and Europe have a higher rate of Down's Syndrome, because of the larger numbers of older mothers. And there are definitely genetic diseases which are linked to certain races.

Increases and decreases over time in the same place seem like clear red flags that something environmental is going on, but it wasn't my understanding that differences in rates in the same time but different places raised the same kind of red flag.

Comment

http://www.spineuniverse.com/conditi...mplex-disorder

In fact, the worldwide prevalence of scoliosis, including all forms of the disease, is only 1%.
                              But no reference is listed.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
                                And a last thought on this topic (before it literally bores me to tears).

Undoubtedly I'm missing something in genetics, but why would a genetic trait necessarily have a constant value worldwide?
                                Maybe for the same reason monozygotic twinning is constant throughout the world (but not dizygotic twinning). I think it might be a "deep" trait.

I am no geneticist (which I need to add to my sig file) but humans, as a species are extremely well mixed. It is my understanding that the visible traits like skin color are controlled by a relative few genes. This is one of elebenty bazillion reasons why racism is so galling and so abjectly ignorant. There is as much variation within "groups" as between groups. That is why it is true to say we are all African, Africa being where humans evolved.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X