Care package ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Care package ideas

Friends are asking me what to send in care packages once I've returned home. I truly don't know what to tell them - any suggestions beyond puzzle books?

Thanks.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

My first thought is gift cards to local restaurants that deliver!
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi there, that's great to give them ideas because I have a lifetime supply of puzzle books so some guidance for your friends is great! I recommend the following items for the care packages: Lotion (Vasoline Sheer Indulgence is very good), chapstick (I like Berts Bees), Vitamin E oil to put on your incision once it's closed, movies, inspirational short stories or encouraging books (Joel Osteen's 'Your Best Life Now' journal is great! It's really helped me stay positive during this difficult recovery), gripper socks or slippers, non-slip mats for inside the shower.

Also, I recommend purchasing a spine kit which will give you many tools such as a grabber and other things to help you with dressing, bathing, etc. I also purchased a raised toilet seat which is really helpful (of course you will probably get this yourself).
      Laurie Anne
      Age 30
      Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
      Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
      Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
      PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
      5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
      1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

Comment

The thing I valued above all else was the delivery of cooked dinners. My husband can sort-of cook in a pinch, but a few friends kept us in meals for a couple of weeks and it was heavenly.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Definitely pre-made meals such as casseroles, soups, stews etc. that you could pop in your freezer. Also it would be very nice if someone came by and tidied up the house and did a bit of laundry. Those would be tops on my list if I were having surgery. I also really like the idea of gift card for takeout/delivery.
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I've moved my maid service from bi-weekly to weekly, and my husband will likely do/torture the laundry.

We don't have a lot of local friends (as in I have exactly 1 who lives within an hour of me) so bringing food over is not going to happen.
            Female, age 38
            4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
            currently 64*upper/40*lower
            Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
            now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

If you have a Let's Dish or similar make it-take it franchise near you, friends (or you) can order meals on line based on the monthly menu and have them delivered to pop in your freezer. I have used Let's Dish on occasion (the in-store make your meal, take it home, and freeze it way) and it was very good overall. The delivery costs extra of course but would be worth it for you...
              mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
              Providence night brace, increased to 35*
              Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
              14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
              11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
              Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
              latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
              currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

It was easy to cook casseroles before surgery, eat 1/2 and freeze the other 1/2 of it so that I built up dinners. Inexpensive and home made. I also hit up Costco and Trader Joes. Now all my hubby has to do is pop it in the oven. But he has actually cooked every day since I was released. He is such a sweetheart! He goes back to work Monday, so dinners will be handy then.

If you read, short stories are best at first. Lots of books out there with compilations. Barnes and Noble has lots of them in their bargain aisle. It is hard to stay focused on anything too involved at first. Magazines, etc work well.

New music is great- itunes gift certificate or cd's... I have listened to music a LOT. When you are laying down resting, but not necessarily sleepy, it helps make the time go by. Especially if you are a little spacey from pain meds!

How about a pedicure or foot massage gift certificate? It feels so heavenly and is such a treat.

See if your friends can start a movie exchange for you. Each bring a couple movies and exchange them when you've watched them.

Wet wipes for our poor bottoms are much nicer than dry toilet paper. If reaching, due to not being able to bend or twist, is an issue, I have the perfect solution... I won't get into the gory details...ask me if you are needing suggestions.

Those little "Cushie" pillows made of microbeads have been wonderful for propping. Sometimes pillows are just too big and don't squish enough. I use them under my knees, under my thighs to raise my legs a little bit, I let them support my knees so that I can let them splay out a little, under my head to read, I have found so many uses for them. And they are easy to move around with just your foot. Sometimes the pillows are hard to move around without having to actually get up...You will find yourself becoming an expert at finding how to prop to get comfortable!

That's my short list for care packages for now.... Nap time!
                Last edited by jeneemohler; 01-29-2011, 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling
                Jenee'-52
                Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                9 hours
                T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                Non-fusion
                Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Hi Jeanee...

Thanks for the pillow idea. I forgot that I have one, and have been moving from pillow to pillow trying to find the best multipurpose one. The bead pillows are exactly the right choice.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I think it'd be nice to have someone do the ironing. My partner happily did the laundry, and kept it up to date, but nothing was ironed. I looked like nobody loved me for weeks.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Linda-

SWEET!!! I count myself worthy of this wonderful world and my place in it when I can help others. Glad I could help. My mom bought me several of the pillows, and I love the little buggers!! I hope you are doing well.... Take care.
                      Jenee'-52
                      Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                      Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                      I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                      9 hours
                      T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                      Non-fusion
                      Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

I found having ice packs-the kind that are called bag of peas (CVS has them). and heat packs to put in microwave scented with lavender helped alot. Tha ice helped w/ swelling and the heat helped w/ aches (and just felt good even laying it in your lap) My mom and husband got these for me.
                        I also had afrind lend me their e-reader that was loaded w/books,I found they are very easy to handle when you are resting laying down.
                        Good luck
                        Donna
                        51 yo
                        dx 13 never braced
                        DJD and osteoporosis ,Fx ribs 10/09(from osteo) downhill since,vertebral slippage w/ nerve damage and rotation
                        Surgery 08/09/10 T1-S1 decomp,fusion w/ instrumentaion
                        Sacral/pelvic fixation + 4 osteotomies and dura repair
                        C 20 degrees to 4 degrees
                        T 57 degrees to 15 degrees
                        L 38 degrees to 5 degrees

Comment

Working...
                        X