Tips for easy home recovery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for easy home recovery

Reading through some of the older posts, I'm finding tidbits here and there - like keeping regularly used pots and pans on the countertop, etc.

Can we create a sticky to hold all of the things you found helpful post-op to make your new routine a little easier? I'm talking shower chair, or one of those shower brushes with a long handle, liquid soap versus bar soap, computer set-up, etc.

Any tips are appreciated. I've stepped back from the ledge and am still on schedule for Feb 23, and this makes me feel like I have some sort of control to plan ahead.

Thanks!
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Great idea for a thread! In the near future (hopefully) we could have a similar thread for tips in dealing with our kid(s) who have recently had surgery and are now at home.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

I have a bunch of ideas on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

My very best electronic "friend" during my recovery has been the iPad. We also have wireless high speed Internet and subscribe to Netflix.

This has allowed me to check email, surf the web (aka read the NSF forum!), and watch movies on demand anywhere! So, if you're like me and still like to lie down and rest even though you no longer nap, lie down and watch a movie. If the snow and ice have you walking on a treadmill, stick the iPad in the book holder and watch a movie while you walk! Of course, you can also listen to music. I'm telling you, I love this thing! (No, I don't own Apple stock....but maybe I should...)
        Kathy
        46 yrs at surgery, now 50
        71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
        8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
        http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Originally posted by KathK View Post
          My very best electronic "friend" during my recovery has been the iPad. We also have wireless high speed Internet and subscribe to Netflix.

This has allowed me to check email, surf the web (aka read the NSF forum!), and watch movies on demand anywhere! So, if you're like me and still like to lie down and rest even though you no longer nap, lie down and watch a movie. If the snow and ice have you walking on a treadmill, stick the iPad in the book holder and watch a movie while you walk! Of course, you can also listen to music. I'm telling you, I love this thing! (No, I don't own Apple stock....but maybe I should...)
          Hi Kathy....

I don't have an iPad, but totally agree. I had planned to buy one for myself until my iPhone 4 was stolen about a month ago, and I had to replace it. (In hindsight, wish I would have bought a much cheaper phone and used the rest of the funds for the iPad.) I just had a hint that I might be getting an iPad as a gift.

--Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Ok, so being on the "other side" now I think I can add a few things to the list.
            • a mattress caddy with pockets - easy to reach the remote, etc and keeps nightstand decluttered
            • Rent a Center - we ended up renting an electric recliner for $110 total for a month.
            • Colgate Wisp were a godsend at the hospital. My husband was brushing my teeth as I came to in the ICU. When you're pre-ice-chips, fresh breath is a lifesaver.
            Female, age 38
            now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Those seem like really good ideas Lily. I'm for sure going to pick up some of those teeth wipes b/c my son is quite fanatical about his teeth which is probably why he doesn't have a single cavity. =D
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                Those seem like really good ideas Lily. I'm for sure going to pick up some of those teeth wipes b/c my son is quite fanatical about his teeth which is probably why he doesn't have a single cavity. =D

^5 your son for me - I'm almost 39 and am cavity-free too!
                Female, age 38
                now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Another tip...

I highly recommend this laptop table that I used for my meals, drinks, medicine (similar to what you use in the hospital). It was really great to have especially when you first come home. When laying down, the table tilts so you can use your laptop with no discomfort at all. My husband got it from Staples and it was on sale for $15.00. It was really great to have and I still use it for my laptop.

http://www.staples.com/Altra-Adjusta...product_729375
                  1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                  2000 Partial Rod Removal
                  2001 Right Scapular Resection
                  12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                  06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                  X