Thread: Tips for easy home recovery

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tips for easy home recovery

Reading through some of the older posts, I'm finding tidbits here and there - like keeping regularly used pots and pans on the countertop, etc.

Can we create a sticky to hold all of the things you found helpful post-op to make your new routine a little easier? I'm talking shower chair, or one of those shower brushes with a long handle, liquid soap versus bar soap, computer set-up, etc.

Any tips are appreciated. I've stepped back from the ledge and am still on schedule for Feb 23, and this makes me feel like I have some sort of control to plan ahead.

Thanks!
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower

Great idea for a thread! In the near future (hopefully) we could have a similar thread for tips in dealing with our kid(s) who have recently had surgery and are now at home.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

I have a bunch of ideas on my website:

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/PreparingforSurgery.htm
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

My very best electronic "friend" during my recovery has been the iPad. We also have wireless high speed Internet and subscribe to Netflix.

This has allowed me to check email, surf the web (aka read the NSF forum!), and watch movies on demand anywhere! So, if you're like me and still like to lie down and rest even though you no longer nap, lie down and watch a movie. If the snow and ice have you walking on a treadmill, stick the iPad in the book holder and watch a movie while you walk! Of course, you can also listen to music. I'm telling you, I love this thing! (No, I don't own Apple stock....but maybe I should...)
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Quote Originally Posted by KathK View Post
    My very best electronic "friend" during my recovery has been the iPad. We also have wireless high speed Internet and subscribe to Netflix.

This has allowed me to check email, surf the web (aka read the NSF forum!), and watch movies on demand anywhere! So, if you're like me and still like to lie down and rest even though you no longer nap, lie down and watch a movie. If the snow and ice have you walking on a treadmill, stick the iPad in the book holder and watch a movie while you walk! Of course, you can also listen to music. I'm telling you, I love this thing! (No, I don't own Apple stock....but maybe I should...)
    Hi Kathy....

I don't have an iPad, but totally agree. I had planned to buy one for myself until my iPhone 4 was stolen about a month ago, and I had to replace it. (In hindsight, wish I would have bought a much cheaper phone and used the rest of the funds for the iPad.) I just had a hint that I might be getting an iPad as a gift.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Ok, so being on the "other side" now I think I can add a few things to the list.

• a mattress caddy with pockets - easy to reach the remote, etc and keeps nightstand decluttered
    • Rent a Center - we ended up renting an electric recliner for $110 total for a month.
    • Colgate Wisp were a godsend at the hospital. My husband was brushing my teeth as I came to in the ICU. When you're pre-ice-chips, fresh breath is a lifesaver.
    Female, age 38
    4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
    currently 64*upper/40*lower
    Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
    now 32*upper/18* lower