Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rod removed after 20 years

Hello,
    I had scoliosis surgery in 1980 using a harrington rod. I remember my dr. saying that one problem I might have is if I ever got pregnant. Well, when I got pregnant with my twins and gained a lot of weight, one of the screws came loose and I was told I needed to have the rod removed. That was 20 years later. The dr. who removed the rod said that I should be okay because the fusion was still in place. It's now been 11 years since the rod was taken out. I don't have a lot of pain, just sometimes. I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar story. My daughter has scoliosis now and once when I took her to her doctor, he seemed surprised that I haven't had much trouble. I'm hoping that I won't have much trouble, but I still worry. I haven't had an x-ray since the rod was removed. So, just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? Thanks!

Wow, that's quite a story. A good news story. Hope it's always a good news story for you, something we all hope for.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi there, scoli1964!!
      There are several people here who have had hardware (rod) removals, years after their fusion surgery, after their spines have fused. Once the spine has fused, the hardware is no longer serving any purpose, but it usually is left in your back because it's not worth a surgery to take it out. The hardware just sits there, not bothering you. If/When it does bother a person, out it comes. It's done its job, and the section of your spine that is fused is fine.

I hope all goes well with your daughter.
      Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
      Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
      Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Working...
      X