Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Girls - growing & scoliosis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    63

    Girls - growing & scoliosis

    Hello,
    I have a question for anyone who has a daughter with scoliosis who isn't growing anymore. Did they stop growing approximately 2 years after they started menstruating? My daughter's pediatrician says that she thinks my daughter will start by this summer. She will be almost 15 by then. So, we are looking at about 17 years old when she stops growing? She will have worn her brace (if we make it that long) for 6 years! Today is her 3 year anniversary of when she got her brace and she is not happy about it!! I'm just hoping that she will stop growing before that. So, if anyone can please tell me how long it was after their daughters started menstruating that they finished growing, I would appreciate it!!

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,901
    As far as I know, a hand/wrist radiograph will tell you if growth is complete irrespective of when she starts menstruating but I would ask the surgeon about that.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    Posts
    271
    Definitely pay more attention to the risser sign, the triradiate cartilage and/or the hand/wrist epiphyses (all x-rays) rather than the beginning of menstruation. The "2 years after menarche" thing is mostly just a general rule of thumb because it's 'generally' the way it happens. And while bone and sexual maturity have a lot of similar signals there are also a lot of separate signals and reactions to various hormones.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    86
    I know they say that once girls stop growing their curves should stabalize and not get worse...well they told me that too and my continued to worsen. I was never braced though as my curves were already in the low 50's when they were discovered. From age 13 to 29 my curves increased to 68/80. According to the theory, my curves should have stabalized between age 15 & 16 but they didn't. So, while theories can be good, it really depends on the individual.
    Laurie Anne
    Age 30
    Pre-Op Curves T68, L80, Kyphosis 48 degrees
    Post-Op Curves both around 10 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke & Dr. Kelly 12/13/10
    Gained 2.5 inches now 5'9
    PRE-OP Photos: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...urieScoliosis/
    5 Mos Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...s%20Post%20Op/
    1-Year Post Op: http://s1080.photobucket.com/albums/...r%20Post%20Op/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by skevimc View Post
    Definitely pay more attention to the risser sign, the triradiate cartilage and/or the hand/wrist epiphyses (all x-rays) rather than the beginning of menstruation. The "2 years after menarche" thing is mostly just a general rule of thumb because it's 'generally' the way it happens. And while bone and sexual maturity have a lot of similar signals there are also a lot of separate signals and reactions to various hormones.
    My friend wore a brace years ago and was told she was not growing anymore after her doctor x-rayed her hand. However, she did continue to grow and her curve progressed until she needed surgery. How does anyone really know when someone isn't growing anymore? Is there a truly accurate way to know?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    8,901
    Quote Originally Posted by scolio1964 View Post
    My friend wore a brace years ago and was told she was not growing anymore after her doctor x-rayed her hand. However, she did continue to grow and her curve progressed until she needed surgery. How does anyone really know when someone isn't growing anymore? Is there a truly accurate way to know?
    How did they know she continued to grow after the growth determined upon hand radiograph indicated it was complete? I am not sure that is possible.

    Continued progression after growth is unfortunately prossible.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

    No island of sanity.

    Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine


    "We are all African."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by scolio1964 View Post
    My friend wore a brace years ago and was told she was not growing anymore after her doctor x-rayed her hand. However, she did continue to grow and her curve progressed until she needed surgery. How does anyone really know when someone isn't growing anymore? Is there a truly accurate way to know?
    I think they have to rely on a confluence of factors including vertical height measurements, Risser sign and the hand x-ray also. Even that wouldn't be completely accurate though, just a preponderance of the evidence.

    They are doing a study in Europe right now using the new low-radiation x-ray devices to determine key growth markers associated with scoliosis, and hopefully maybe they can come up with something definitive.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,090
    Quote Originally Posted by Pooka1 View Post
    How did they know she continued to grow after the growth determined upon hand radiograph indicated it was complete? I am not sure that is possible.

    Continued progression after growth is unfortunately prossible.
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...letal-Maturity

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •