progression in brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
    I agree it would be interesting but I would be shocked if anyone did a study on it.
    Why not, it could show that scoliosis is not just genetic. But I guess nobody's very interested in that result.

Comment

To Balletmom - This is my daughter's 4th brace in 3 yrs. I, too, check her brace every night and make sure it's tight enough. We also have to take it in periodically to have more padding put in. The padding seems to wear away on her hips really fast!

I've been researching and I have seen where girls who have had surgery have still been able to dance. I don't know about professionally though. I would just like to get my daughter through high school without having surgery (4 1/2 more years!!), so that she can continue to dance.

Thank you for your help!

Comment

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
        Why not, it could show that scoliosis is not just genetic. But I guess nobody's very interested in that result.
        It is accepted that AIS is genetic.
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
          It is accepted that AIS is genetic.
          It is accepted that there is a genetic influence...which I agree with.

Comment

Originally posted by scolio1964 View Post
            To Balletmom - This is my daughter's 4th brace in 3 yrs. I, too, check her brace every night and make sure it's tight enough. We also have to take it in periodically to have more padding put in. The padding seems to wear away on her hips really fast!

I've been researching and I have seen where girls who have had surgery have still been able to dance. I don't know about professionally though. I would just like to get my daughter through high school without having surgery (4 1/2 more years!!), so that she can continue to dance.

Thank you for your help!
            It looks like you're doing all you can possibly do. You might want to try sideshift exercises if you can get your daughter to do them while she's out of the brace. They were developed by Min Mehta who was the one who developed casting for babies which cures them of their scoliosis! I wouldn't use them to replace the brace, but it might help a little in stopping anymore progression if she used them while she's waiting around for ballet, etc.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...d-by-Min-Mehta

Also, here's a video that might make you feel better. I personally wouldn't let my daughter do that at four months unless her doctor specifically approved it! But good for Kendall.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOLWRif5STs

Comment

To Pooka1 -
              yes, I did ask her doctor about her not having started her period and growing, and he did agree with me. However, he believes that she is still growing, and I do, too. He says that when she has not grown or grown very little for 2 consecutive visits, he'll x-ray her hand to see. We're not at that point yet, unfortunately! He doesn't believe in the Scolioscore at all. He explained why, but I couldn't repeat it now! But, he said my daughter isn't a candidate for it anyway because her curve is more than 25 degrees. He also doesn't rely on the Risser sign either, but he told me he would guess that she is at Risser 0. He said the most reliable tool they have is to x-ray the hand. And, he said it should be the left hand.

It's funny - I've always wanted my kids to stop growing so fast because it means they're growing up, but I really wish she would hurry up and grow now so that we wouldn't have to go through all of this right now! UGH!!!

Comment

To the OP, like hdhugger I have a son with scoliosis not a daughter so I can't comment on the ballet thing but I do know that it is very possible for rapid progression to happen. We noticed our son's back was 'off' about fifteen months ago and now his curve is 110* and is on the urgent list for surgery. Not trying to scare you or anything b/c I do think his curve progressed at somewhat of an extreme rapid rate but obviously it can and does happen.

On a completely different note, I've always wondered why mothers enrolled their daughters in ballet in the first place b/c it seems so unnatural for their feet to be in that position. I too have a daughter but I have never encouraged nor wanted her to take up ballet b/c I didn't want her damage her feet. You moms who have your girls in ballet, aren't you concerned that their feet will end up sore and deformed? Just wondering. O_o
                Attached Files
                Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Oh, about the growing...

My daughter is past two years post menarchal...and she is still growing. And most of my daughters classmates are coming up on age 16 and all of them are still growing. Some still have not had their first period.

I have to believe at some point they're going to stop growing! :-)

Here's a thread on studies showing that kids continue to grow and progress after skeletal maturity as used by the common indicators. I like the way your doctor is going to determine if she's continuing to grow...I hope my daughter's doctor does that too.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...letal-Maturity

Comment

To Balletmom:
                    thanks for the side-shift information. I'll check that out for sure. Is that similar to the Schroth method? I was reading about that and I couldn't find anything negative about it, except that there aren't many places that practice it and it's very expensive, which I guess is pretty negative! I am very curious about it, though.

I had seen Kendall's video on you-tube and had my daughter watch it, too. I was shocked that she could dance that well only 4 months after surgery. That was amazing!! It gave my daughter some hope, though.

Comment

To Balletmom:
                      thanks for the side-shift information. I'll check that out for sure. Is that similar to the Schroth method? I was reading about that and I couldn't find anything negative about it, except that there aren't many places that practice it and it's very expensive, which I guess is pretty negative! I am very curious about it, though.
                      Ask your surgeon if there is any evidence whatsoever that PT changes the natural history of AIS.

I had seen Kendall's video on you-tube and had my daughter watch it, too. I was shocked that she could dance that well only 4 months after surgery. That was amazing!! It gave my daughter some hope, though.
                      Both my kids were back in school full time after surgery between 3 and 4 weeks with no problems. Many if not most kids are feeling pretty much back to normal by 4 months.

Also, our surgeon said 95% of kids need no physical restrictions whatsoever and they still get a solid fusion. He restricts everyone simply because he doesn't know who those 5% are who need restrictions to get a fusion. Some top surgeons don't restrict kids at least some kids at all. That's how good the instrumentation is now.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

To Elisa: Was your son wearing a brace when his curve progressed? If so, what kind of brace was he wearing? Did he go 15 months between x-rays? What were his measurements before the 110 degree progression? Sorry for all the questions!

As far as the "pretty" ballerina feet - I put my daughter in ballet when she was 5 because I thought she would like it. I actually wasn't thinking of her just doing ballet, but it just happened that way. I never, ever thought she would stick with it as long as she has. She just loves it and I know this because her feet hurt all the time, but she keeps going back for more!! Her feet don't look bad... yet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                          On a completely different note, I've always wondered why mothers enrolled their daughters in ballet in the first place b/c it seems so unnatural for their feet to be in that position. I too have a daughter but I have never encouraged nor wanted her to take up ballet b/c I didn't want her damage her feet. You moms who have your girls in ballet, aren't you concerned that their feet will end up sore and deformed? Just wondering. O_o
                          LOL! Those calluses on the big toes look just like my daughters!! Fortunately, calluses go away once they stop dancing. Nowadays, girls aren't put on point so early while the bones are so soft, so they don't tend to get the really damaged feet that they used to. (Russians can be a bit different, and many still put their kids up on pointe way too early!).

I also got my daughter spacers to put between her big toes to avoid that big toe pointing in like that, not sure if it would be classified as a bunion or not. So you can avoid permanent damage to your feet...but the feet are ugly while they are dancing, for sure!

I'm glad your son looks like he's going to get treated at this point! I do know that curves can progress extremely fast. I always thought the Canadian medical system was good!

Comment

To Pooka1: I did ask her doctor if there was any evidence that Pilates helped scoliosis and he said no. I wish I could remember exactly what he said about the pilates. I think that he said that while pilates is good for anyone, girls who are flexible and do pilates, their scoliosis sometimes does worsen. I'm not sure that's what he meant, but that's kind of how I took it. When I'm with the doctor, I think I understand everything he says, until I try to repeat it. I didn't ask about about the side-shift or the Schroth method. That is on my list to ask him at the next appt. though. I should bring a recorder next time so I won't have to try to repeat anything he says!!

Comment

To Balletmom:
                              No, the side-shift exercises are not part of Schroth as far as I know. They have been incorporated into the SEAS program which is in Italy. In fact, these were exercises that apparently used to be done with the Milwaukee brace, I believe, and then Min Mehta tested them as a substitute for bracing. She was quite successful, but I personally would never use exercises in lieu of a brace because as she noted herself, after about six months, some kids would lose interest and not do them.

Comment

I should bring a recorder next time so I won't have to try to repeat anything he says!!
                                LOL I know what you mean! I am sure I understand him on one visit and while I can repeat what he says it has become clear that I interpreted differently than what he meant. This is not my field so I try not to beat myself up over it but I sure wish I understood more of what he says when he says it and not when I later research it and bring it back up with him and he edifies me.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X