progression in brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ballet Mom View Post
    She went on birth control pills last year for almost eight months in order to take a powerful medicine which can cause birth defects. She had her period for those eight months. As soon as she stopped taking them, she went back to amenorrhea. She is still growing also and will be sixteen in a few months. She was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was twelve.
    Is that the same period during which you thought some part of her curve improved? We'd talked about that in terms of the other medicine, but I wonder now if it might be related to starting her period again?

[double caution to anyone reading - pure speculation on my part with zero evidence]

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger View Post
      Is that the same period during which you thought some part of her curve improved? We'd talked about that in terms of the other medicine, but I wonder now if it might be related to starting her period again?

[double caution to anyone reading - pure speculation on my part with zero evidence]
      That's an interesting thought. The birth control pills were started a couple of months prior to taking the isotretinoin and lasted until about one month prior to the discontinuation of the drug because she had gained so much weight and water weight she could no longer tolerate taking them. So yes, they coincided with the reduction in her curve.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
        Okay, I went back and scrolled through my original thread where I posted the x-ray pics and this is what I came up with.

First set of x-rays: Oct. 29/09 = 47*

Second set of x-rays: about six months later (Apr. 2010?) chiro guess = 75* you guys say 85*

Third set of x-rays: January 20th. 2011 = 110*
        That's really a lot of progression. Poor kid - I imagine it hurts to have your spine grow quickly in an odd direction. He's really been a trooper about this stuff.

I hope the MRI shows something of value. My son got one at his last doctor visit. His doctor said that, because scoliosis was so rare in boys, they liked to do MRIs to see if there was something else underlying it. In our case, that was a dead end. But, if they can find something with your son, that will help them to fine-tune his treatment.

Comment

That's an interesting thought. The birth control pills were started a couple of months prior to taking the isotretinoin and lasted until about one month prior to the discontinuation of the drug because she had gained so much weight and water weight she could no longer tolerate taking them. So yes, they coincided with the reduction in her curve.
          I think that is interesting too. I don't really understand all the studies and research, but I just think there is something about ballet and scoliosis. It may not make a difference in my daughter because I know that it is inherited, but it sure makes me think that maybe her back won't get worse if she starts her period. And, I find it really interesting that she fractured her wrist and it was like a fracture of a much younger child. That makes me think that her bones aren't as strong as they should be for her age. And is that because her body isn't producing the hormones she needs to start her period?

How much of a reduction did your daughter have while she took the birth control pills? My daughter only has 1 friend in her class who hasn't had her period either, and she's really small (5 ft. and weighs 80 lbs) - a little smaller than my daughter. They are the 2 smallest in their class. And, interestingly enough - this girl just went for a checkup with her pediatrician who noticed a small curve in her back and has recommended she see a orthopedist for scoliosis. This girl has an older sister in ballet as well, who started her period when she was 12. My daughter and her friend are both 14. I'm going to make an appt. with the pediatrician and I'll let you all know what she says. I hope that she will have an open mind!!

Comment

My daughters have very different cycles. One started earlier than the other and is on the pill to control heavy bleeding. The other had one period and then nothing still at 16+ y.o..

They are identical twins. They both had surgical scoliosis and neither does ballet.

This is more complex than any of us can imagine and more complex than all of us together can imagine, us being bunnies.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
              Well, taking only the 47* and 110* as likely to be close to correct, that is a sustained (15 months!) average progression rate of ~4.2* per month. I have not read of a similar case on this group or anywhere. It seems unusual as the surgeon was mentioning to you.

Damn.
              The next time I talk to him or his assistant I will ask for the measurement and date of each set of x-rays. We noticed something off with his back around fifteen months ago but obviously the curve started earlier than that so he's had scoliosis for probably closer to two years I'd think, it just wasn't visible.
              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

The next time I talk to him or his assistant I will ask for the measurement and date of each set of x-rays. We noticed something off with his back around fifteen months ago but obviously the curve started earlier than that so he's had scoliosis for probably closer to two years I'd think, it just wasn't visible.
                Yes he had scoliosis after his curve became >10*. But there are no radiographs from then to determine the progression rate.

I am guessing the surgeon re-measured the older radiographs in addition to measuring the new ones. The progression rate is an important thing to know.

If he went from 10* to 110* in 24 months then that is an average rate of about 4* a month for two years. That seems whacking high even for short duration progressions and his lasted at least 24 months. I think that is one reason they needed the MRI.

When will you hear about the results of the MRI?

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

The MRI tech said the radiologist will probably look at the pics over the weekend and Dr. K. will probably look at them today but I don't know when I'll get the information, hopefully soon; got my cell phone on. He said he wanted an MRI done to rule out any other cause for his scoliosis other than AIS. As soon as I hear anything I will let you know.
                  Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                  Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                  Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                  http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Originally posted by scolio1964 View Post
                    I think that is interesting too. I don't really understand all the studies and research, but I just think there is something about ballet and scoliosis. It may not make a difference in my daughter because I know that it is inherited, but it sure makes me think that maybe her back won't get worse if she starts her period. And, I find it really interesting that she fractured her wrist and it was like a fracture of a much younger child. That makes me think that her bones aren't as strong as they should be for her age. And is that because her body isn't producing the hormones she needs to start her period?

How much of a reduction did your daughter have while she took the birth control pills? My daughter only has 1 friend in her class who hasn't had her period either, and she's really small (5 ft. and weighs 80 lbs) - a little smaller than my daughter. They are the 2 smallest in their class. And, interestingly enough - this girl just went for a checkup with her pediatrician who noticed a small curve in her back and has recommended she see a orthopedist for scoliosis. This girl has an older sister in ballet as well, who started her period when she was 12. My daughter and her friend are both 14. I'm going to make an appt. with the pediatrician and I'll let you all know what she says. I hope that she will have an open mind!!
                    It could be that your daughter may not end up that tall and her curve won't have that much time to progress. I know another ballet student that was 5 ft and was diagnosed with a curve, but she ended up having a very little growth spurt and so her curve remained relatively small. She didn't end up much taller than 5 ft or so.

My daughter's structural curve didn't decrease...just her lower compensatory curve. There was no effect on the structural curve at all, which is what matters. I actually think it was the isotretinoin that had the effect not the birth control anyway, because she actually had started taking the BCPs at least a month prior to the x-ray that didn't show any curve reduction, which was prior to her starting the isotretinoin. And she had the same effect taking another powerful anti-inflammatory drug.

Talk to your daughter's pediatrician though, I don't really know how they use the BCPs in the case of pre-menarchal status. The BCP's labels explicitly states they're for girls who have already started their cycles and yet I know girls who have used them to start them....so I don't know. It will be interesting to see what her doctor says.

Comment

The MRI tech said the radiologist will probably look at the pics over the weekend and Dr. K. will probably look at them today but I don't know when I'll get the information, hopefully soon; got my cell phone on. He said he wanted an MRI done to rule out any other cause for his scoliosis other than AIS. As soon as I hear anything I will let you know.
                      My daughter's first orthopedic surgeon told us of a story of a girl who had a curve that needed surgery, but she wanted to go play her state championship water polo game series and by the time she came back ready for the surgery, her curve was either 112 or 120 degrees. Can't remember. So it is not necessarily something wrong with him other than scoliosis, some curves just progress terribly fast. That's why they have appointments every six months, to make sure something wacky hasn't gone on with the curve. It does happen, apparently. (In fact, he told us that story because he was warning us to come back in because my daughter's curve was progressing so fast.)
                      Last edited by Ballet Mom; 01-25-2011, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        My daughters have very different cycles. One started earlier than the other and is on the pill to control heavy bleeding. The other had one period and then nothing still at 16+ y.o..

They are identical twins. They both had surgical scoliosis and neither does ballet.

This is more complex than any of us can imagine and more complex than all of us together can imagine, us being bunnies.
                        Does your one daughter do other sports or exercise? Secondary amenorrhea is apparently very common in female athletes.

Comment

Does your one daughter do other sports or exercise? Secondary amenorrhea is apparently very common in female athletes.
                          She is sedentary.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                          X