Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Turn

Hi...

I haven't made a big deal about this, but thought it was finally time to let y'all know that I'm headed in for more surgery. (My original fusion was almost 19 years ago.) My date is 1/20. Drs. Berven and Hu, along with a vascular surgeon, will be performing anterior surgery (ALIFs at L4-L5 and L5-S1), to restore lordosis, and posterior surgery L2-S1 with pelvic fixation. They'll be cutting off the bottom of my rods at L2 to attach the new implants to the old ones. If everything goes OK, I should be out of the hospital in 4-5 days.

Since I have Jess' email address, I'll add her to my notification list, and she can post updates here. I don't plan on beating John's record of posting from the recovery room, but can hopefully post an update on Friday or Saturday.

I hope everyone will behave themselves while I'm out of commission. If not, Joe O'Brien will hopefully be watching out for issues.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Good Luck Linda!

Good luck Linda! You'll be a star.

I'll look forward to when you are back with us on the group.

Thanks in advance to Jess for relaying news.

Best regards,
    Sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Linda, thanks so much for all the first-hand info you share with us. You know you are in good hands.
      1966 fusion in Buffalo of 11 thoracic vertebrae, with Harrington rod

Comment

Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Linda.

Comment

Best wishes for a successful surgery and smooth recovery. Thinking of you on the 20th!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Linda--
            Best wishes to you. I don't normally come on this one but glad I did. We will certainly be thinking of you and praying for a great result! We will miss your expertise until you are back in form. Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Linda,
              You will be in my thoughts and prayers (can I say prayers here or am I misbehaving?) Haha! I hope you have a successful surgery and a speedy and almost painless recovery.
              Why don't the little emoticoms on the side work anymore? The little smiley face, etc.?
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Dear Linda,

Wishing you the best of the best for your upcoming surgery. We need you back soon, Linda, our fearless leader. Take good care of yourself.

Will be looking forward to hearing from you via Jess!
                Amy
                58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                Exercising to correct

Comment

hey Linda
                  wishing you a smooth procedure, uneventful and rapid recovery...
                  leading to a life free of pain, full of activity, and many more years of everything you love to do!

Sharon...am not sure which "jess" will know about Linda's surgery...i do not and will not be aware, sad to say...
                  i will be in Manhattan Wed-Friday next week, but will be saying positive thoughts and prayers for her successful outcome and recovery!

jess...and Sparky
                  Last edited by jrnyc; 01-16-2011, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Hi Linda,

I just want to add my well wishes to you. I know you will be in great hands. We will all be waiting to hear from you after surgery.

Good luck,

Gayle
                    Gayle, age 50
                    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

May you have a steady heart, and your surgeons, steady hands. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts for a fast and healthy recovery.
                      Female, age 38
                      4 years of bracing, concluded at 42*upper/38*lower
                      currently 64*upper/40*lower
                      Fused T3-L4 on Feb 23 2011
                      now 32*upper/18* lower

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                        hey Linda
                        wishing you a smooth procedure, uneventful and rapid recovery...
                        leading to a life free of pain, full of activity, and many more years of everything you love to do!

Sharon...am not sure which "jess" will know about Linda's surgery...i do not and will not be aware, sad to say...
                        i will be in Manhattan Wed-Friday next week, but will be saying positive thoughts and prayers for her successful outcome and recovery!

jess...and Sparky
                        What? You're not staying home awaiting word? ;-)

Sharon, send me your email address and I'll put you on the update list.
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          Linda,
                          You will be in my thoughts and prayers (can I say prayers here or am I misbehaving?) Haha! I hope you have a successful surgery and a speedy and almost painless recovery.
                          Why don't the little emoticoms on the side work anymore? The little smiley face, etc.?
                          Sally
                          Hi Sally... Thanks. When I post, the emoticons are available below the box I'm typing in. --Linda

Comment

Linda

After coming down to UCSF and meeting everyone last August I really had a good feeling and a great vibe....I don’t think that you could have picked a better place to have this work done. We will be looking forward to your updates and your progress reports...

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

oh, Linda....i'd love to be on the "update list"...
                              i just didn't presume i would be...

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X