Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for the ladies

Hello,

I have found this site very helpful. Thank you eveyone!
    I have a question for the ladies...moms, maybe you can help me figure this out.
    Surgery is very stressful on the body, and I have heard that female patients have been known to get their period right after surgery, even though it is not scheduled at that time. It is such a shame to have a young girl deal with having her period in the hospital, while coping post op. They have been thru enough!
    I have had friends suggest that I ask about putting my daughter on Depo shot or low dose BCP so she doesnt have to deal with this while in the hospital.
    I guess that is a good question to ask the surgeon, as the injection and pills also have side effects. Having your period at the time of surgery also increases bleeding during surgery.
    What are your experiences and thoughts.

Hi Bossic,

I am one of the many who got my period the day after my surgery, and believe me, I simply did not care. It was the least of my worries at that point. The nurses helped me get cleaned up.. I had brought some of my own pads and panties so I wouldn't have to wear those gigantic maternity hospital pads.

You mention surgery is not scheduled, but if it is scheduled later, I would definitely ask her surgeon about the BCP question. I think most patients are told they have to quit BCP for at least a month pre-op for fear of clotting problems. And the true amount of menstrual blood lost is usually considered minimal (though I know it can look like a lot!).

Good luck,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Thank you for your reply

Thank you for your reply.
      My daughter is very modest, and I guess I am trying to protect her in every way.
      That is what parents do.

I didnt explain it properly..sorry. Bleeding can be increased at the opertive site, when a female has her period. (sorry, I didnt explain it well enough) Medications have their side effects also.

Thank you for your reply!
      I will ask the doctor the question, and see what he has to say.

We go for our second opinion at CHOP, with Dr. Flynn on Jan. 18th.

Comment

My daugher started her period within three days after her surgery, and trust me, she could have cared less about who knew and who took care of her needs! How old is your daughter? Regardless of her age, I wouldn't suggest putting her on any form of birth control just to avoid her period after surgery.

You and your daughter will learn that once they've had surgery, their modesty goes out the window (at least for a few days). They will need you or a nurse to take them to the bathroom, help them at times with their bathroom needs, getting a shower, etc. so don't worry too much about modesty issues or her period. I know we moms tend to worry alot about things, but please don't sweat the small stuff like this. Like Gayle said, though, it is important to take your own pads.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Same experience with my dd. She started the day after surgery and it was very heavy and prolonged. She was in the hospital 8 days and was still menstruating when we came home. Sheena is also very modest but like Mary Lou said, that goes out the window. I helped her in the hospital with her hygiene and bathroom duties so that when we came home, I knew exactly what to do. With the fusion down to L4, it took about a week at home before she could get herself up and down from the commode.

Don't worry about this aspect, they're on heavy meds in the hospital and will hardly remember anyways. The hospital provided heavy duty pads so you shouldn't have to worry about bringing any extra.

Comment

I would have to agree with everyone. I started the day before my surgery, and that worried me a lot. But I was on so much medicine that I had no idea. As for modesty, I feel uncomfortable in a one-piece bathing suit. But during my recovery, I had no clue what was going on half the time, and when I did, I didn't care (which is unlike me). I have a blog that I posted a page specifically dealing with that issue (called no boys allowed). If she hasn't had the surgery yet, you might want to read it. I hope the surgery went/goes well!

http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/

Katie
            Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
            My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
            Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
            52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
            Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Mom of Brooke (15) who had Fusion on July 11, 2011

So funny that all the moms are saying the same thing. Before surgery my daughter would not let me in her room when she was changing, AT ALL...
              She started her period 2 days after we got home from the hospital and I was right in there helping her clean up, wipe, etc. She did not care. Even now, one month post op, I come into put lotion on her back, etc. and the modesty went right out the window. Good luck!!! She will be fine..

Comment

One of the lucky ones

I was one of the lucky girls, I guess and didn't get my period the day after my surgery. The nurses even told me to prepare for it but it didn't come. While I didn't get it in the hospital, I got it a couple of weeks into my recovery. Either way, you'll be fine

Comment

Working...
                X