Shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shingles

Happy New Year all. Just before Thanksgiving I got shingles in my back. My surgeon took me back off work for December. Prior to shingles I was really starting to feel pretty darn good. My surgery was 8 1/2 months ago. With the shingles I felt like I was back to about 2 or 3 months out from surgery. I had bad pain and it was hard to get up after sitting or laying for any length of time. A lot of back discomfort. Finally now about 6 weeks later I am really feeling pretty good again.
    My question is has anyone else experienced shingles in the back area after surgery? If you have, did it clear up and not return? I am hoping another week or two and it will be dormant and I can get the shingles vaccine. I certainly don't want to have recurring shingles.
    Still fascinating how these little set backs pop up even almost 9 months after surgery.
    Shari - 55 years old
    Pre-Surgery 62 degree thorasic curve with shifting.
    Post op 13 degree curve.
    Successful surgery 4/15/10, T3-L2 fused.
    2nd surgery to reopen incision 10" to diagnose infection, 5/18/10
    Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI - the late Dr. Harry Herkowitz
    www.scoliosisthejourney.com

Hi Shari,

I developed shingles 2 months post op. I had them on my upper leg so my back was not directly involved.

The shingles did drag my entire system down and I am still dealing with the scars.

I just got out of the hospital after spending six days battling colitis.

I will be getting the shingles vaccine as well to help prevent a reoccurrence.

I hope you feel better soon.
    Chris, Austin, TX
    80 degree thoracic/36 degree lumbar curves
    Surgery 8/2/10, Anterior Cervical Decompression/Fusion
    C4/5, C5/6, C6/7
    New Surgery date 10/25/2010, T-2 to Pelvis, posterior
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine and Scoliosis Center

Comment

I'm so sorry to hear about your shingles Shari. Does your doctor think it has anything to do with your surgery, for example does he think it was a weak spot? I don't know much about shingles except how painful it is. I hope it passes quickly and you can get back on track with your recovery. Best of luck!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hi Chris, thanks for sharing on this. That's how I felt, like it dragged me down big time. Good to hear that may be normal. (whatever normal is for all of us) I am so sorry you have had to deal with so much. I hope you are feeling better. 6 days in the hospital is tough. Please take care.
        Shari - 55 years old
        Post op 13 degree curve.

Comment

Hope you start feeling better soon

Melissa

Comment

I am a "scoli mom" and I thought this thread was interesting because in the summer of 2009, when my daughter was diagnosed, I developed shingles on my upper legs. I am also outside all the time and could not for the life of me figure out what this was (poison ivy?). But it finally occured to me - shingles! Duh!

It is terribly uncomfortable (sometimes downright painful) and I think I came down with shingles because I was so completely stressed out. I can really feel for you, Shari MSU, for having to deal with this so soon after your surgery.
            Jill, mom to 14-year-old daughter who had spinal fusion surgery (T3 to L1) June 21, 2010. (Pre-op curves 52T and 30L.)

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement. My on-line scoli friends are so supportive. I am doing really good now. In fact I resigned from my job today and am going to start my own sales coaching and training business. I have to start controlling my work, how, where, and when. I feel this will bring less stress to my life.
              An exciting new chapter....since I am so excited I'll share with you my new web site,
              www.hospitalitysellingsolutions.com. Thanks for letting me share as I know this has nothing to do with our backs, but I am hoping this will bring me the flexibility I am looking for in my life.
              You are all the best, thanks!
              Shari
              Shari - 55 years old
              Post op 13 degree curve.

Comment

Hi Shari!!!
                1) Congratulations on your new adventure! The website looks good!
                2) Let's be DONE w/ the shingles!! Sounds like you found it to be stress related - is it also an immune system issue?
                Just giving notice at work is probably a huge relief...
                Hope you can take it easy!
                Cheers,
                Nancy
                Age 58
                Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

I had the shingles as well about 3 months before my surgery.I had it on my back and stomach.I was in alot of pain before surgery right hip and right leg pain.I wonder if pain can cause it.I also had what I thought was a spider bite that ended up to be Mrsa staph infection a few months before I had shingles.
                  Aug.17,09 Anterior
                  Aug.20,09 Posterior
                  Fused T-10 to Sacral Pelvis
                  Cedars-Sinai
                  Dr.Pashman

Sheri 47 years young
                  Husband married 30 years
                  3 kids 29,28,25
                  4 grandkids 10,8,5,3

Comment

What is shingles? How does it feel? What cause it?
                    62/75 (T4-T9 68 degree & T11 - L4 80 degree) 10/19/2010
                    45/50 year 2000
                    36 yrs old
                    Considering, researching surgery for the first time
                    S. California
                    http://s1210.photobucket.com/albums/...ashionista889/

Comment

Working...
                    X