Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Revision for Pseudoarthrosis

Hi all,
    I have been browsing this forum for quite awhile (discovered it before my first spinal fusion surgery, which was in March 2008), but this is my first time posting.

I have a backward S-shaped curve, presumably with the thoracic being the primary curve and the lumbar being compensatory. In March 2008 I had fusion of about 7 thoracic vertebrae along with Harrington Rods and Pedicle Screws. I am a college student and found that I was having a lot of discomfort last year, so during spring break when I was home I went to the doctor and found out that I had a pseudoarthrosis, which is a failure of fusion at one of the levels of vertebrae. Because of the pseudoarthrosis, my spine was continuing to curve against the rods and the screws were beginning to back out of their position. I was informed that revision surgery would be necessary.

My revision is scheduled for Jan. 11 (1/11/11-- good omen?) and I'm looking for anyone with similar experiences or advice/tips or words of wisdom who might be willing to share their experience? I'm not sure whether to expect a similar experience to the first surgery or something entirely different. Have people experienced similar levels of pain and discomfort? Less? More?

Any information anybody could give me would be really greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

Hi Lulubelle...

First, if you have pedicle screws, you don't have Harrington rods. (However, some people apparently use the term Harrington rods in the generic sense, like Kleenix.)

Secondly, I work in a spine center, and occasionally see patients who have pseudarthroses. Assuming that the pseudarthrosis is the cause of your pain, and assuming you're typical, your recovery should be fairly easy. I think surgical pain usually lasts about 5-6 weeks. After that, this recovery should be a lot easier than your last one.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Right, thanks for the clarification and the info Linda!

Was also wondering if anyone knows any info or stats on the rate of correction of pseudoarthrosis in a surgery like this? I'm really hoping not to have to go through this again, but I was hoping that last time as well and... here I am.

Comment

Working...
      X