No announcement yet.

5 days to go-bag is packed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved your lyrics! I know that you will do great! Before you know it, you'll be headed home (and I'll be praying for snow free roads for you then, too).

I don't think you could be any better prepared! All that's left is to put yourself in the hands of Dr. L and his team!

Big hugs!
    Kathy
    46 yrs at surgery, now 50
    71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
    8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
    http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Karen,

I remember in the last few days before my surgery I got incredibly sad about "missing" my husband and our home, friends, etc, while I was recovering. I felt like I was leaving and wouldn't be back to normal for so long. Yes I left for 6 days but the time went fast and now 3 months later, I really feel quite normal again (with minor limitations of course). The surgery will only be a matter of hours but your life will be there waiting for you when you come home, and it is only a short time before you can really enjoy being you again.

Like Junosand said, you being so prepared really will make a difference. For me, all of the things I worried about never really bothered me - it was the unexpected things that made the whole experience interesting!

Best of luck - we'll all be anxious to hear how you're doing!

-Jamie

Comment

Thanks, everyone.
        JamieAnn-You nailed my feelings exactly. Thanks for making me feel better. I don't want to be some drugged up person trying to regulate body functions, but I know it goes with the territory.
        I am reasonably calm today . . . staying busy taking down Christmas decorations. John and I are going to see Little Fockers and go to dinner Mon. evening. Tues. a.m. is the central line and final tests and then back home. We'll leave home at 5:30 a.m. on Wed.
        Thanks, again, for your positive comments and support for months.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Karen,
          I am definitely old enough to remember that song! Good luck with your surgery and may it give you the relief you deserve ;-)
          I remember my last days prior to surgery, I would think "this is my last weekend with a crooked back, my last breakfast with a crooked back, last work day...you know what I mean). I couldn't help myself counting down. As you go into the hospital, you may have butterflies but also a sense of excitement. Your surgeon is the best! I look forward to hearing how things go ;-)))
          May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Good Luck Karen! You'll do great! Just give yourself plenty of time to recover. I just got back from the Colts game! See, there is life after scoliosis surgery! I'll be thinking of you on the 5th and wishing you the best.
            Age 56
            Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
            Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
            Thoracic 68
            Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
            Dr Bridwell St Louis
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Kristy-I was beginning to wonder if I was the only one old enough to remember Peter, Paul, and Mary!
              LisaB-I know I will have a fun life again eventually. Didn't you travel to Florida with your husband a few months after your surgery? I remember being amazed at the time.

Thanks, again.

Jenee'-You're right behind me and I know you'll do well. We'll compare notes over the phone when we're both up to it.
              Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
              Now 66
              Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
              Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

For the record it was one of my favorite songs as a freshman in college--just a couple years ago, I believe. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Karen, Wishing you the very, very best. I know how intimidated I was about going to NYC and being in a strange hospital and too far away for anyone from home to visit. My poor husband was on his own but he did great dealing with the subways and life in NY. (And the bonus is we have since really fallen in love with NYC and I want to run up there for weekends and see shows and be a complete tourist!) Anyway, I am walking right there with you--this is when it all came together for me about a year ago. And I love my hardware (other than the literal pain-in-the butt screw in my hip) because it has taken away all my pain. You have a fantastic surgeon and you will be in the best of hands. Will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers all week.

Anne in PA
                  Age 58
                  Diagnosed at age 14, untreated, no problem until age 50
                  T4 to sacrum fusion
                  63 thoracic now 35, 92 lumbar now 53
                  Dr. Baron Lonner, 2/2/10
                  Am pain-free, balanced, happy & an inch taller !

Comment

Golf Nut - I was a big Peter, Paul & Mary fan and yes I am definitely old enough to remember the song. And I did go to FL 7 weeks after my surgery and did fine. I just couldn't pull my bag or carry much of a carry on since I had to be under 10 pounds between the carryon and my purse. You will do great,too. Just go in with a positive frame of mind and keep thinking of the positive benefits you will be getting from the surgery! The nurse anesthesist told me that when I woke up after surgery the first thing I said was "am I taller?" So you know what I was dreaming about during surgery.
                    Age 56
                    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
                    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
                    Thoracic 68
                    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
                    Dr Bridwell St Louis
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Good Luck

Hi Karen, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow. My surgery is on January 11th, 1 week from today. I know exactly how you're feeling!! I know you'll do great.

Best wishes, Paget
                      Lumbar Curve pre-op: 72
                      Thoracic Curve pre-op: 43
                      Thoracic Curve post op: 0
                      Lumbar Curve post op: 2

Surgery date: January 11, 2011
                      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist, Boston

Comment

Good luck Karen

Dear Karen,

This last day before surgery can seem very surreal and nerve-wracking, but you are very well prepared and in the very best of hands with your surgical team.

We will all be thinking positive thoughts for you here, and will look forward to hearing updates if someone can post them for you. The days in the hospital can pass in a haze, then before you know it you will be home again with your fur-kids.

Please do let us know how you're doing when you are up to it. Good luck!

Gayle
                        Gayle, age 50
                        Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
                        Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
                        Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
                        2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
                        2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Paget,
                          Good luck with your surgery. I got the central line in this a.m. so I guess there's no turning back now.
                          Thanks,again, to all of your prayers and well wishes. My husband's sister, Jane, is going to post when the surgery is over.
                          Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
                          Now 66
                          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Best wishes tomorrow! I'm excited for you! It's hard but worth it. Many blessings! Rebecca
                            Rebecca
                            Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                            wore night bending brace as teenager
                            Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                            herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                            fusion L2-3 November 2008
                            Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                            Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                            Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                            gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                            Before and After X-rays
                            My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've been looking for this thread because it's the 5th here so I guess your surgery is tonight, our time.

Wanted to wish you all the very best Karen. I am sure you are going to do very well. You are very well prepared, you have a great surgeon, you are fit and healthy. I believe this will ensure a fantastic outcome. I don't think it will be long before you are home and telling us all about it yourself.

I'll be thinking of you tonight before I go to bed.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thinking of you, Karen. Will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way in the morning. Soon we will be welcoming you to the other side (smiles)...

Hugs
                                Kathy
                                46 yrs at surgery, now 50
                                71 degree thoracolumbar curve corrected to 34 degrees
                                8/2/2010 surgery with Dr. Lenke

posterior T9 to sacrum with pelvic fixation

4 osteotomies and 1 cage
                                http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/...athK_08022010/

Comment

Working...
                                X