Magnesium??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnesium??

Have any of you guys (a real person with scioliosis) experimented taking magnesium supplements on a regular basis?

See...

http://www.ctds.info/scoliosis_causes.html
    http://drkevinlau.blogspot.com/2006/...scoliosis.html
    (I bought this book, but haven't been able to read it yet..)
    http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/sco...questions.html
    there are alot more..

I guess the theory is that over time, constant muscle tightness and/or contractions contort the spine over. I know that magnesium has aleviated hip pain that I have occasionally, but I have not tried taking it regularly.

Any input?

I recently started taking magnesium and would also would like to hear anyone's experience with it.
    1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
    2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

magnesium

It acted like milk of magnesia. My doctor said I get enough in my diet.
      Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
      Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Milk of Magnesia

What does milk of magnesia do? I have been taking 250 mg in the a.m. and p.m. I will continue doing this for a few months along with my strengthing while stretching routine to see what happens (see my posts in the "bar hanging" thread..). I believe so far it is actually helping me relax and fall asleep faster - but, it may be completely unrelated... Overall, compared to one year ago, I feel GREAT!

Comment

Strenghtening while Stretching

Here is a link to the aforementioned thread.

Personally, I feel that my muscles played a big part in the creation of my curves - they either failed to keep my spine straight or over time contorted it. I don't think my spine could do so on its own. Perhaps with childhood scoliosis, it can grow that way? I have always been a bit hyperflexible which I also believe has something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by djean1 View Post
            I believe so far it is actually helping me relax and fall asleep faster - but, it may be completely unrelated... Overall, compared to one year ago, I feel GREAT!
            I'm also feeling better than I have in years. But it's really hard to say what combination of things is helping me the most. I'm taking magnesium, but along with a multi vitamin, calcium, D3, glucosamine, and fish oil. I've also altered my diet slightly. And I've been stretching on the inversion table and doing some Schroth exercises. Oh and I changed my sleeping position, and a bunch of other postural work. I don't see any practical way to determine what is actually making a difference so I figure it's worth the price of the vitamins. Even if its just a placebo affect I'll take it.
            2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

Comment

I have been taking Magnesium for at least 6 years. . .along with a cabinet shelf of other supplements. . .and I can say that my curve had worsened - definitely! - during that time period (until the time of my fusion just over a year ago).

It never even dawned on me that my scoliosis could be affected by nutrition (though I could easily be persuaded that nutrition could make a differece in the formative years). Then again, maybe I should take more Magnesium, or should have started earlier.

The top and bottom links didn't work. . .but the middle one did, and I found it very interesting. Thanks!
              Last edited by mgs; 01-03-2011, 11:26 AM.
              Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
              Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
              Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Well I wouldn't expect supplements would halt a curve. Some of them can relieve muscle and joint aches. And MAYBE you could argue that improved bone and muscle strength could slow the natural progression, but that's about it. No miracle cures here.

Comment

readthat

I heard and read articles about it. I haven't tried it yet, but I think I'm going to start back on a regiment of vitamins. I was taking c, d, glucosomine condrotin *sp*, multi everyday. Not sure they were helping. BUT i want to add B12, this time and the mag. I read and heard good things in relation to scoliosis! Hey if it helps ya, its worth it. Even if it just slows progression or helps with pain!

Comment

We take magnesium, calcium, vitamin D, and fish oil or flax oil.

Scoliosis pt are prone to osteoporosis, so adding ca supplements can help ESP if diet is lacking. muscles need ca++ too, to function properly. Google muscles physiology
                    age 15
                    Daughter diagnosed at age 13
                    T20 l23 10-09
                    T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
                    T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
                    T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
                    Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
                    Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

vitamin shopping

Just went out and bought magnesium today I take melatonin every night for sleep so it wouldn't surprise me if i was deficient in that before. I also got B-12. I read there are some great things related to your bones and that. So we shall see if any of these help my pain. I would be great if they did!

Comment

Kidbusiness2,

Magnesium is helpful if you have leg cramps as it enables the muscles to relax. However, I would advise you to read the following thread:

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...B12-Deficiency

Andrea

Comment

I am experimenting with Magnesium, vitamin D (cod liver) (which is responsible for the absorption of calcium) Silicon and Magnesium.

I think it's helping quite a bit and after doing much research on the subject "Phytic acid" (protection layer in all grains) I found that I had to consume less grains and breads if I wanted to absorb calcium, zink, iron and magnesium. Different articles i read linked phytic acid to high levels of osteoporosis. I began to soak my grains and add phytase (found in rye) for 24 hours so the phytase neutralizes the phytic acid molecule and thereby aids in digestion and absorption of calcium and magnesium. So i figured i cut away all modern fast processed breads and buy sourdough bread and soak my grains with rye added (in some cases depending on the levels of phytase found in the grain). Them I will get some benefits from the supplements I'm taking.

Comment

Originally posted by Christian0710 View Post
                            I am experimenting with Magnesium, vitamin D (cod liver) (which is responsible for the absorption of calcium) Silicon and Magnesium.

I think it's helping quite a bit and after doing much research on the subject "Phytic acid" (protection layer in all grains) I found that I had to consume less grains and breads if I wanted to absorb calcium, zink, iron and magnesium. Different articles i read linked phytic acid to high levels of osteoporosis. I began to soak my grains and add phytase (found in rye) for 24 hours so the phytase neutralizes the phytic acid molecule and thereby aids in digestion and absorption of calcium and magnesium. So i figured i cut away all modern fast processed breads and buy sourdough bread and soak my grains with rye added (in some cases depending on the levels of phytase found in the grain). Them I will get some benefits from the supplements I'm taking.
                            Christian,

Would you mind going in to more detail about your grain-soaking adventures? I'm wondering what grains you are leaning towards, and after you soak them, what do you do with them?! It is something I can see myself doing, and since I love to bake bread, I would also love to find a good, healthful way to keep it working for me.
                            Amy
                            58 yrs old, diagnosed at 31, never braced
                            Measured T-64, L-65 in 2009
                            Measured T-57, L-56 in 2010, different doc
                            2 lumbar levels spondylolisthesis
                            Exercising to correct

Comment

Melatonin/ mag.

I take 9 mg. of melatonin a night. Dr. took me off of other sleep meds. due to side effects so I decided to use melatonin and now in the research i've been doing its saying lots of people who have scoliosis have a melatonin deficiency.

Comment

Working...
                              X