Thanks! Brace question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks! Brace question.

First of all, thank you so much to all of you for tour kind words and encouragement. I tried to follow your advise and took a hot shower, relax, and so on... It did make me feel better!
    Still pain at night and positions are an everyday challenge for me. I keep getting only a few hours of sleep at night! It is driving me crazy!
    Yes, the correction is fantastic and I appreciated, but for now there is absolutely nothing else in mind but pain!
    For those of you who wore a brace after the surgery, can you tell me for how long did you have to use it? And your experience with it?
    I am asking because I cannot be without the brace!!! It hurts so much without it!! But it also scares me cause I don't want to be wearing these or being dependent of the brace for a long time.
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

I wore a brace for three-plus months and then was told to wean off of it a few hours at a time. I had an increase in pain when I took it off because my newly-arranged muscles had to get strong enough to hold me up and that took a while. I still wore the brace when I drove for about three months after that...and I wore the brace whenever I walked on the treadmill for about a year total.

I wouldn't worry yet about being dependent on the brace...you need it for support and pain relief, to ensure that you don't move the wrong way and also so that you heal in the correct position. Your muscles will adjust eventually...it's just going to take time. And yes, I know it's very hard to be patient!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi!
      I wore my brace for my second surgery for 3 months 24/7 even while sleeping. I only took it off while showering. I know how you feel, the brace does help with pain relief. It helps to remind you not to bend or twist. At first, I needed help getting mine on, but after about 3 weeks I could put it on by myself. After awhile, you will be ready to be out of your brace and when your doctor says the time is right, you will start a weaning schedule. This gives your muscles a chance to build up gradually as you decrease your wearing time. Don't worry about this right now though. You are in day to day mode...make sure to walk every day, it helps...even if it is just a little bit. Your xrays look amazing!
      May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Working...
      X