No announcement yet.

Good news! Finally some good news.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry - another question. What are diabetic insets? I've never heard of that!

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by scolio1964 View Post
      Hello,
      Your daughter is the same age as my daughter. My daughter also wears a Boston brace. She has worn it for 3 years. Her curve progressed at our last visit a month ago from 27 degrees to 36 degrees. We have been looking into the Schroth method, but the closest clinic to us (Houston) is in Arizona!! It's very frustrating. I don't know how we can do that. I have a book about the Schroth method, but it's hard to understand. Do you go to the clinic in Wisconsin for the exercises?

Has your doctor mentioned whether she has finished growing or not? How long does she wear her brace everyday? My daughter has been very compliant about wearing it, so it was very discouraging to hear that she had progressed.

Thank you!!
      I am sorry to hear your daughter progressed. We went to the clinic in Steven's Point, I stayed at a hotel for one week, and we paid out of pocket. Although you can check with your insurance for coverage. We had 4 hours of PT a day. PT was broken up into 2 sessions a day. The first day she is measured, and photos are taken showing her posture, bent curve, and stance. they also measure height and arm wing span.

After one week her height was increased, and the pictures show better posture and defined muscles in her back.
      We still need to do a followup week...they recommend two weeks. Amber does 1/2 hour of PT a day, sometimes an hour if she missed a day.
      My dd is about 5' 9 now, and he said about 18 months after menses started, so we have had a 3 inch growth spurt since dx. She should be done growing Fall of 2011.

If you decide to go, check the references they give you...investigate to make sure it's a good fit for your family.
      Most of the exercises have to do with breathing, elongating, and some traction, hanging, and massages to open areas of muscle constriction or where concave curves are.

Diabetic insets are used with an insulin pump for treatment of type 1 diabetes.
      The inset is insert into the skin with a needle, its moved every two days to allow skin to heal and avoid scar tissue. The needle is for insertion of the inset and then is removed, leaving a small tube canal to deliver insulin subcutanously via pump.
      The brace aggravates her inset and causes bruising.

I picked Steven's Point over another clinic local to us, because they only work with scoliosis patients....and they are known to be the best. Also our petritician recommended them, other families have benefited from PT. Good luck with your decision.

If had to do it all over again, I would still pick them.

Ambrea wears her brace 16 plus hours a day.....and I have take a break once in awhile due to the insets, so for a schooldays she usually wears it all day, take it off,do her PT, put it back on for bedtime.

I don't have her wear it for dances, or special dress up activities....sometimes you have to allow them to be teenagers.
      age 15
      Daughter diagnosed at age 13
      T20 l23 10-09
      T27 L27 1/2010

T10 L 20 in brace 4/2010
      T22 L25 12/2010 out of brace
      T24 L25 7/2011 out of brace

Type 1 diabetes- pumping
      Wearing a Boston brace and Schroth therapy
      Faith, Hope, and Love- the greatest of these is Love

Comment

I think it's great that your daughter has done well with the Schroth therapy. I would love it if my daughter could do it, but there's not a place near us and it's very expensive!! We would also have to wait until the summer and I really hate to wait that long. I have a book, but I don't trust myself to know what exercises she needs to be doing. It's frustrating. It shouldn't be such a struggle to get the things our kids need.

Comment

I'm not certain, but I think the Schroth practioner in Palo Alto, CA will do some work long distance. You might check. Her site is:

http://www.scoliosispt.net/

Comment

She has been very helpful for me long distance. I'm going up to see her for 4 days next month.
            1993, Age 13, 53* Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory
            2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

http://livingtwisted.wordpress.com/

Comment

I'd love to hear a report on the visit, Mehera. We've considered seeing her, since we have lots of relatives around there.

Comment

I will report back. I was already thinking of going and then my sister ended up moving there last month so that pretty much sealed it.
                2010, Age 30, 63* or 68* (depending on the doc) Right T Curve w/ Left L compensatory

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
                  She has been very helpful for me long distance. I'm going up to see her for 4 days next month.
                  How does she work with you long distance? I am very interested - thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by mehera View Post
                    I will report back. I was already thinking of going and then my sister ended up moving there last month so that pretty much sealed it.
                    That was extremely thoughtful of your sister

Comment

Originally posted by scolio1964 View Post
                      How does she work with you long distance? I am very interested - thanks!!
                      She reviewed my latest x-rays and photos that I took based on her specifications, we talked about pain and my general activity level, and she gave me some minor exercises to do, as well as a lot of changes to posture and habits to be aware of throughout the day. We spoke several time to be sure I understood and was doing them properly. But she has also been cautious and pretty conservative in her recommendations which I think is because she would rather be able to evaluate you in person before suggesting anything too aggressive. I don't want to speak for her, but I think in my case she knew I couldn't come up for a few months so why not get started right away and ease me into it. She's been very generous with her time and really cares that you get help, maybe because she is a scoli herself.

Comment

Working...
                      X