Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacque's Mom is on the other side!

Hello Everyone!

Lynn has been home since tuesday (the 14th) and has been following the surgeons instructions to rest, walk and most importantly, concentrate on healing. In the hospital she looked SO distended but after taking magnesium citrate and a few other things, it did the trick. Now at home, Her appetite is fairly normal, but her only issue is not being able to go to the bathroom. She has been taking colace and senna, and now miralax which will hopefully give her relief. She is in good hands at home as I just graduated from grad school for occupational therapy and do not start my job until mid January, and as she keeps saying, her tuition paid off HA. She sends her thanks to everyone and good luck to those facing surgery in the near future! Happy Holidays to all!

Jacque
    1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
    2000 Partial Rod Removal
    2001 Right Scapular Resection
    12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
    06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

I am so glad the surgery went okay! Good luck with your recovery! I hope the bathroom issue takes care of itself soon, that is SO miserable. The last time I ended up having to take Ex-lax because none of the hospital meds worked
    25 years old
    double 70+ degree curves before surgery
    Anterior on 11/11/08
    Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
    nearly perfect correction
    fused t-10 to pelvis
    with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
    Broke left rod on 10/24/09
    Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
    Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
    Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Constipation is incredibly unpleasant. For a while most of us feel it's worse than the surgery itself! But if she keeps working at it, she will find eventually, it will work. I went 9 days. Nulax worked for me, not sure what it's called in the States. But everyone seems different in regard to what works.

I feel for her (brings back memories Eeeek!)
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My visiting nurse gave me the right combination! Heat prune juice as if it was a hot toddie and then have Milk of Magnesia. Trust me it works! Thank goodness my bathroom is right next to my bedroom because by the time you get the brace on, get out of bed, use the walker and then get to the bathroom, it feels like forever............but it works and I've been fine since Monday!

I seem to be recovering well. Not without pain, but I do see an improvement !!!
        HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL!
        Lynn
        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
        2000 Partial Rod Removal
        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Lynn,
          I am glad you are doing well. Thanks for the tip about heating the prune juice. I will be following your progress on the forum as I will be a few weeks behind you. How nice to have your daughter to help.
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Heating the prune juice sounds like an excellent idea, which I didn't think of. A good one for future patients to try, followed by the Milk of Magnesia.

Glad that's one problem you've got on top of. Sounds like you're doing really well!

Happy holidays to you too, hope you all enjoyed lots of goodies. How lucky we all are, by a quirk of fate, being born where we were, with access to this surgery, and the good life. Wish we could find an effective way to spread it around a lot better than we do.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Karen/Jennifer

Here are some more tips:

1) Medicine - My daughter put all of my medicine in a large outdoor serving tray and labeled the top of each cap with a sharpie as to timing of the medicine. She also made a list of times which she keeps next to the meds just in case. At night, she puts the medicine in plastic cups, each labeled with times to be taken and medicine contained. I set my alarm on my blackberry, get up to take the meds and reset for the next dose.

2) Tray table - My husband bought me a mobile laptop cart which is comparable to a hospital tray table. It is on wheels, tilts, and can be used as a table or laptop cart. I highly recommend it!

Now about the surgery... Since my surgery, I have had quite a bit of discomfort in my thighs. The right thigh is fine now but the left is still hurting. Last week I emailed Dr. Boachie's nurse, telling her I felt a deep throbbing sensation which became extremely painful and could not sit up for more than 5 minutes. Her response is as follows: "There is a lot of fluid under the skin/incision that will be reabsorbed by your body over the next 4 weeks. Until this process completes itself, the fluid places pressure on the surrounding tissues/muscles/nerve endings. This is NOT uncommon after the type of surgery Dr. Boachie performs. Ice is an excellent choice for relieving the discomfort... 15 min on and 45 min off, 4 to 5 times daily." From all the years I have been on this site I dont recall anyone complaining of this type of pain which is why i contacted the nurse.

Karen.. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask, as I know you are next in line.

Jennifer.. As always, thank you for your help!

Lynn
              Last edited by Jacque's Mom; 12-26-2010, 03:30 PM.
              2000 Partial Rod Removal

Comment

Lynn, It's so great to see your email. I hope your holidays were joyous, even though you're in some discomfort, to know the surgery is behind you and was successful. It sounds like you had your own holiday drink, warm prune juice. I'm thinking this won't be a new tradition.

Lots of cyber hugs,
                Debra
                Debra
                Age 45
                Pre - surgery Thoracic 69, Lumbar 48
                Post-surgery Thoracic 37, Lumbar 39 (unfused)
                Fused T4-T12
                Milwaukee braced, 11 years old to 15 yo
                Surgery Sept. 1st, 2010 Dr. Boachie

Comment

Working...
                X