No announcement yet.

Hello I'm on the other side.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks ED and Thank you so much everyone!
    My curves and deformity were a lot grater than most of yours, and even though I am 32 years old and somehow healthy, The manipulation was so big that It is impossible not to have this kind of pain... I know that.
    However, I still feel that I should have stayed at the hospital at least for a week post op... They took the catherere and made me get up, and thats it! Ok, she is fine... Next.
    That's how I feel.
    I am wearing a brace right now, and If it wasn't for this brace I will be in such a bad pain. That is the main reason why it is so hard for me to go to sleep, because I take the brace off to go to bed, all the pain irradiates and concentrates in my back. It gets so tight that it is hard to breath... especially on the side that I got the ribs taken out!
    I also feel the hardware, yes, the rods, I feel them burning right next to my shoulder blades.
    My new position makes my stomach to stick out putting a lot of pressure in my lumbars. I also haven't been able to go to the bathroom, I am very constipated. I am taking Miralax and eating activia everyday, but nothing happens. This, of course, gives me that extra pain that we all love so much.
    I can continue with my discomfort and pains list, but I don't want to bore you.
    Now, If any of these sounds weird to you please, let me know.
    Also, how long until you were able to move around witouht the brace feeling somehow normal?
    Thanks
    Pilar
    Scoliosis Diagnosed at age 12. Wore Milwaukee brace for 2 years.
    Now age 32
    Pre-op curves: C86-T98-L37
    Surgery date: 12/6/2010 (anterior) 12/10/2010 (posterior)
    Fused T2 to L5 with thoracoplasty.
    Post-op curves: C48-T47-L17
    Dr. Robert Pashman
    Cedars Sinai, Los Angeles, CA
    Before and after xrays :
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...5&d=1292969215

Comment

Pilar,
      been there and done that. I had mine on December 9th of last year. When I got home, had tremendous pain, couldn't sleep, couldn't walk, couldn't eat. I would throw up everything I ate. I regretted having the surgery, but I had to look ahead. I would sleep on a recliner. I would sit there, until I got too tired to stay awake. I told my wife that I regretted having the surgery. I turned the corner about a month after, thats when it got easier. Christmas was a horrible time. I was in pain the whole time, but pain pills helped. I also had my surgery at Cedars Sinai in Beverly Hills and then had a 4 hour drive after surgery. I hated that also.

rich

Comment

Pilar, I can almost imagine your pain by the way you're describing it. I've never had surgery before but I do hope you get your pain under control soon you poor thing.
        Last edited by Elisa; 12-20-2010, 10:15 PM.
        Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
        Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
        Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
        http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Pilar--
          So sorry this has been so especially painful for you. The quick "out" seems ridiculous. I was in 8 days hospital and 8 days rehab--& still had a really tough time. I wish you a much better holiday and pain relief for the New Year! Keep taking that Miralax. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Pilar, so many pains, info, what to do. It helps me to read everything, no matter how old to get me thru' the pain. Mine was hell. 4 er visits. I had no breath to catch and went to ER right away. Good thing. The pain in my chest was 1 litre of water on my lungs, and they don't know why it came up. My chest tube was clear, I too, came home after 4 days with 7 discs replaced/+ hardware.

The first week or 2 I black out too much pain. My mom said all I said was "I want to die" over and over. Then the pain meds, what a pain!! My RX doc friend gave me a lecture (when I was able like 1.5 months later) and said every person is different. What works for me may not work for you. Unfortunately, it is trial and error to what meds work best. I went thru' 3 before I found the right 'cocktail'. Please email me back if you feel like it.

I prayed, did positive talk, walked, had lots of friends visit, and became aware of the least little improvement and thanked God for it. I still do this. I am not out of the woods yet, now have nerve issues for at least 8 more months. Karen
            XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
            Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
            Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
            Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
            53 yrs old

Comment

Working...
            X