Saylor postop in San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saylor postop in San Diego

IMG_20101214_121741.jpgIMG_20101214_121750.jpgIMG_20101214_121722.jpgIMG_20101214_121707.jpg

Saylor had surgery on monday, the 13th. Doing well so far. When we started, she was a 52 degree, in September 66; then last week, 72....

Surgery lasted 5.5 hours and honestly the longest time of my life. She came through well, 2 units of blood, fused at L4... I've attached her xrays. Shocked us immensely.... she's got the ng tube out, the drain out of her back, is resting now as the pain med pump is done today oral meds will begin. She will walk some today as well. So day 3 is going the way they say it s'm hould!! She irritable but all in all doing well I think.

I'm trying to relax and get rest when i can, not easy but I manage... it's amazing how badly she got there at the end and am sooooo glad we're in the recovery phase.
    Dr. Newton at Rady Childrens has been great... pleased we ended up here!

jen

Dr. Newton

We are planning to have surgery with Dr. Newton on Jan 31st. I would love to get connected with you and learn more about you journey. Hope your daughter continues to do well.
    Her back looks great!
    Keri
    Attached Files

Comment

She is well on her way in recovery. You have a top guy.

Good luck.
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Best Wishes for a smooth recovery. My daughter is also a patient of Dr. Newton. Sending you and your family good local positive energy!
        Resilience

treated w Milwaukee Brace FT for 3 yrs
        currently 46 with 35 LL and 40 RT curves

8 yr old diagnosed w Scoli 8/10 with 27 LL and 27 RT
        11/10 TLSO Full Time
        4/11 22 LL and 24 RT on waiting list for VBS at Shriners Phila
        12/11 curves still in the 20s but now has some rib cage changes from the brace
        VBS 4/25/12 with Dr. Samdani. Pre Op: 29 RT and 25 LL Post Op: 17 RT and 9 LL
        10/13: 15 RT and 10 LL

Comment

Prayers for you all continue! Mandy will be 1 year post op on Jan 14. Her's looks much like Saylors. She is mostly pain free and cleared to do anything she wants. You have a long year ahead of you but it's all downhill, meaning you have climbed the long painful climb to the top and are on the easy ride that gets easier as you go!!
          (((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))))))))))
          Gina and Mandy
          "With God All Things Are Possible"
          Mom to Mandy,age 11, surgery on Jan 14,2010
          to correct 51 degree T and 63 degree L curvatures.

Comment

Lets update

It's been so long and I am sorry! Life seemed to get in the way of posting again!

Saylor is doing GREAT. She had her 3 month postop last week, Dr. Newton cleared her for all exercise; except contact type sports of course. She's out walking, riding her bike, jogging a little.. and feels great.

She had some probs with nerve pain in the right hip/back/leg and it's still a little bit annoying, but the exercise is helping. He thinks it's because she had screws so very low in the lumbar region and fused L3/L4... we're watching and waiting. If she can power through it, nothing needs done. If she can't; then we go back in for a fix in the summer. Next follow up is June. She's on the right track. Given that she had 28 screws placed and was curved at 78 degrees in such a short progression, I am amazed.

Her confidence in her appearance is amazing! She is no longer this "crooked, slumpy" tween and she smiles so much and is happy!! I love it for her!! (Though the confidence and smiles make her so much prettier; the boys are noticing and dad is not real thrilled!)

Its nice to see there is life after surgery; the incision extends the length of her back and it's looking so much better

Jen

Comment

Sounds like you got a great result.

This surgery literally saves childhoods. Both my girls are carrying on with life as if nothing ever happened. It's really jaw dropping.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
              X