Pain from pelvic fixation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pain from pelvic fixation?

I think the surgeon left an ice pick stuck in my pelvis...Well ok, not really, but it sure feels like it at times. I had posterior fusion T8-sacrum with left pelvic fixation 9 weeks ago. I also had a PLIF done at L4-5 (interbody fusion). Overall I am doing great, including swimming an hour per day on most days. But, I have daily pain that feels like it is deep in the back of my pelvis, on the left where the iliac screw must be. It is worse in the morning and evening, eases but does not disappear during the day. I have been off all pain meds for weeks, except tylenol. I have tried tramadol but it doesn't seem to touch it. The pain is mostly associated with moving--like if I shift my weight from standing to start walking, or take a step sideways while in the kitchen, I get a sharp stabbing pain.

I asked the PA about it at my 7 week appt, and she said the x-rays looked great, no fractures, and felt it was from the pelvic screw. I have also noticed that most of my back muscles around the incision are still very tender, especially over my pelvis.

I am just wondering for those out there who have pelvic fixation, does this sound familiar at all? Does it get better with time? I am starting to wonder if I will have to have this pelvic screw removed in the future? Yikes.
    Last edited by leahdragonfly; 12-13-2010, 09:59 AM.
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Hi Gayle...

Does it hurt more when you press on it?

It does sound like it's possibly the iliac bolt. Since there's no fusion there, movement would definitely set off the pain. For awhile, it was almost routine to take out iliac bolts at 1 year post-op, but better techniques have made the bolts more tolerable in most cases. If you have to have the bolt removed, it's actually a relatively easy surgery.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

The area over it is tender but I can't reproduce or increase the pain by pressing on it. And actually I had a bilateral fusion of the SI joints along with all the other work.

I remember asking Dr Hart about pain from the iliac fixation, and he told me he had changed the way he did the iliac screws to eliminate pain.

I will ask him at my 12 week appointment about this pain--although I sure hope the pain is disappearing by then.

Gayle
      Gayle, age 50
      Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
      Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
      Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
      2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
      2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Hi Gayle...

It could also be the S-I joint. Results from S-I joint fusions are pretty poor.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
        X