No announcement yet.

Percoset withdrawal nightmare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That clonidine is BAD. Low blood pressure can lead to kidney failure. My kidneys had almost shut down in only 30 hours, trying to keep my blood volume up enough to keep me conscious. It made me feel worse than the withdrawal. I advise avoiding it if you have low-normal pressure, or at least talk to the doctor about cutting it in half (the lowest dose pill is 0.1 mg - too much for me).

I'm done with pain meds! My spine feels great, bone-wise. The muscles in the lumbar area spasm and ache a bit, but not nearly enough to take anything but Tylenol if I think of it. Not quite ready to give up my four pillows yet, though I tried -- I guess the muscles need to heal a bit more before giving up that extra support at the waist/hip curve.

I still feel a little shaky today from the low blood pressure episode, and still with a bit of withdrawal a week out from quitting --- mainly sleeplessness (I have to FORCE myself to stop thinking at night), hot & cold, and that nasty burning skin feeling, but not as bad.

For me, quitting the pain meds was much harder to deal with than the surgical pain and adjustment, and learning to move differently (which can only get easier). If you have surgery coming up, PLAN AHEAD about how you are going to manage this.
    Juliet, age 57
    37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
    Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
    Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
    Surgery on 10/26/10
    Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
    University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
    Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Juliet, I am so sorry to hear of your pain med nightmare. To say that was worse than dealing with your post surgi pain says it all. I am glad you are on the other side, eating, and with a clear head.

I was on so many pain meds while I was in the hospital for 19 days so when I got home I was frightened to stop, but I tapered off the Percocet within the 1st 10 days of being home. Thank goodness.

I thought med marijuana was more for appetite and not pain management? The pain pills do make you anorexic so I can see how it could help!
      Laurie
      Age 57
      Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
      Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
      Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
      Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
      Dr Munish Gupta
      UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Thanks for sharing all of your stories, so that we are prepared. Knowledge is the best weapon!

This is honestly one of the things I most fear. My doc says I don't have an addictive personality, so she isn't too concerned about me getting off the meds. I have to be limping, and dragging my foot and stumbling before I resort to a vicodin. But still....

I hate pain meds. But I know they are necessary for a short time frame. It really helps to ease my mind having my husband here to help me. He is a pharmacist, and a very compassionate one, so he knows the ropes. He is amazing and will help me deal with it.

27 days to go!!! Aye yi yi...
        Jenee'-52
        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
        9 hours
        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
        Non-fusion
        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Jenee, I'm with you. Pain meds have their purpose but they have such awful side effects. Its great that your husband is a pharmacist. Who is performing your surgery?
          Laurie
          Age 57
          Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
          Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
          Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
          Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
          Dr Munish Gupta
          UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

Almost two weeks, and finally able to get some sleep with the help of Bendryl and melatonin (thanks to suggestions from my friendly pharmacist)!
            Juliet, age 57
            37˚ lumbar and 35˚ thoracic with rotation
            Diagnosed at age 11 and untreated.
            Total degeneration of disc at L4-5, spondylolisthesis at L4, L5 sacralized.
            Surgery on 10/26/10
            Dr. Matthew Geck, Seton Spine & Scoliosis, Center, Austin, TX.
            University Medical Center @ Brackenridge Hospital.
            Posterior fusion of T11-S1, part minimally invasive; TLIF at L4-5.

Comment

Laurie, Dr. Kathleen Moore is doing mine. I know this is a relatively small town, but it is full of great doctors who have moved here from the cities to enjoy our quality of life. (We have been one of the fastest growing cities in the nation for the last decade or so...) She did her internship in Minneapolis, at the spine center there. She was under some of the best doctors, from what I've heard. (I've researched online about her, and read some of her papers.)
              Our teaching hospital in the state, OHSU, (Oregon Health Sciences University) has even sent people down to her. She has a very good reputation. She and her husband have a non-profit organization where they do free surgeries on children with severe scoliosis who don't have insurance. They are such warm, gentle, caring people. Very patient, and takes all the time in the world with me. I adore her, and I totally trust her, which is 90% of the battle for me. I have seen several that I just didn't feel 100% ok with.... It seems like you hear both good and bad about all doctors, but in all these years, I have never heard one bad opinion of her or her work. Even from the nurses I know. So I feel pretty good about being in good hands!

Juliet, I'm glad you found some sleep!! Hooray!! Should have known it would be the pharmacist that would help..... however, I MAY be a bit biased!!!
              Jenee'-52
              Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
              9 hours
              Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

Oh, I forgot to tell you that I went to UC Davis when I was a teen. They were the folks who talked my parents out of surgery. I was seeing a doctor (in another town) that really didn't know what to do with me, and thought surgery was the only option. The Dr. at UCD felt it was better to wait until I had more problems, and to allow technology to advance. I need to send them a big thank you!!! I wish I remember who I saw. I know he looked just like Tim Conway. Kinda funny for a surgeon......
                Jenee'-52
                Bend, Oregon

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                9 hours
                Both curves now 35'

Non-fusion

Comment

I had so much trouble with pain when I was on the Oxycontin. It was like the pain was amplified when I did have a little it felt HUGE. I was also on Percocet when I came home but my doc took me down to vicodin reg strength at 3 weeks postop (still I was on the oxycontin twice daily) I finally just stopped it all and for 2 days it was AWFUL, then gradually got better and just took the vicodin prn and flexeril at bedtime. It sounds like you are on the right road and starting to enjoy life. Peace to you.
                  Heidi
                  35 year old mother of 2 lil girls
                  60 degree thoracic
                  44 degree lumbar
                  Oct. 11, 2010 surgery
                  Dr. Lenke St. Louis
                  1 year follow up: 15 degree thoracic, 22 lumbar
                  fused T1 to L1

Comment

i have 30 mg oxy and it gives me general relief, to the point that i can move...i never take it 2 days in a row, and try not to take it unless i am desperate!
                    i have not had surgery...yet...but my waist is starting to look like the pre-op pix on here!

i also have hydrocodone for usual pain days...
                    i don't get constipated from the pain meds...i said before that i have a weird stomach...
                    BUT...the side effect i suffer from is ZERO appetite...i've lost a lot of weight...down to 93 pounds, up from previous 87 that i sunk to! i do not understand, personally, how everyone on the pain meds doesn't lose the same amount of weight that i have! i just can not eat! i guess everyone is just different...
                    i've stopped meds for a few days at a time...biggest result is extreme pain in spine....

jess

Comment

Working...
                    X