New to forum - had my surgery August 23, 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nancy--
    Welcome to the forum. I find it interesting the number of people like you and me who have the surgery at about age 57 (if not when they are quite young). I think that's about the point you can't take it anymore. It sounds like you had a very successful surgery and hope you go on to have a very steady recovery. The link didn't work for me either. Good luck to you! Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

let's try the link again...

So sorry,
      I typed in org instead of com. You can tell I haven't done this before. http://nancyssurgery.blogspot.com/
      Age 58
      Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
      original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
      fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

golfnut,
        I am sure that you WILL do great! I think you are on to something when you choose to focus on one month from now! We can't help being anxious - how can we not be? But I love the idea of concentrating on being on the other side of surgery. You will be there before you know it.
        Age 58

Comment

I also notice the number of women who have their surgery at or around age 57. I think you're right Janet, it must be around the point of no return!

Sounds like you've done extremely well, Nancy!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Nancy

I found your x-rays! wow.
            How long have you known that eventually you would have a revision done? Was this a recent thing or were you waiting for technology to catch up? How long were you in pain? (Pre-Lenke?) How bad was the pain?

Love the Spinal tap reference in your blog. Of course, you know what to do when your at 10? That’s right, turn it up to 11. lol

You’re a trooper, no doubt.
            Thanks for posting. It gives hope for future difficult revision candidates.
            You will be ready to come out here and go skiing with me next winter. Don’t worry, we wont jump too high.
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
              Nancy

I found your x-rays! wow.
              How long have you known that eventually you would have a revision done? Was this a recent thing or were you waiting for technology to catch up? How long were you in pain? (Pre-Lenke?) How bad was the pain?

Love the Spinal tap reference in your blog. Of course, you know what to do when your at 10? That’s right, turn it up to 11. lol

You’re a trooper, no doubt.
              Thanks for posting. It gives hope for future difficult revision candidates.
              You will be ready to come out here and go skiing with me next winter. Don’t worry, we wont jump too high.
              Ed
              I didn't realize that I would need revision surgery until about 2 years ago. I didn't have much pain at all, but I wanted to be proactive w/ the scoliosis as I aged (degenerative changes in the disks, etc). I was thinking PT... My GP was never very interested in the scoliosis - I guess she figured it had been fused and I was doing fine. So I got a new GP who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon - we did xrays and an MRI - low and behold, at L4/L5 the space for my spinal cord was so tight that there was virtually no spinal fluid detected in that area. So that kind of explained the leg weakness I'd been having - but as everyone knows who has stenosis, it really sneaks up on you so gradually that you get used to it. Or that's my experience anyway. So my ortho guy referred me to Dr Lenke - it took a couple of months to get on his schedule - and when he thought I was a good candidate for surgery, and I had surgery about a year later - that was his wait time. With the curves progressing, I could have expected to become incontinent or lose my ability to walk eventually. Or that's what I presume. ! So, no, I didn't really expect to have surgery, and if I hadn't sort of pushed the issue w/ my doctor, I probably would have waited till it was quite a bit worse...
              Skiing! That is something I would really be afraid to do - aren't you afraid of crashing, falling, being run into??? I did ski a lot as a kid.
              My husband has a way w/ words, huh.
              Age 58

Comment

Nancy
                I think your timing was pretty good. The weakness in your legs was an indicator of problems, just like my sciatica events through the last few years.

All skiers are afraid of crashing....It all depends on your ability, and how hard you push I guess. I’m more afraid of falling off a ladder or a car crash.

I actually crashed twice 9 days ago and forward flipped on one of them. They were low velocity tumbles in powder. Crashing on hard pack at high speed is not something I’m allowed to do. If you keep the speed down its ok and its great exercise. I actually pole on flat runouts like a cross country skier, it helps the muscles in my upper back.

I did have some issues after I started skiing. The slow and steady process of rebuilding all the soft tissues took awhile. It was discouraging for me since I was a animal on skis, but in time I became very satisfied with my outcome.

I still cant believe it. I never expected to come out as well as I did. It was a miracle.
                Here is a pic of me at Lake Tahoe.
                Ed
                Attached Files
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Ed,
                  Just knowing that skiing is an option is really something! Sounds like you are having a great time.
                  You sure don't look like you ever had scoliosis!
                  Don't you feel like you were given a new life? That's how I feel.
                  Have fun on the slopes,
                  Nancy
                  Age 58

Comment

Congratulations on your successful surgery. Great blog.

That Lenke is just amazing. I think your case and others posted here are an object lesson in rather than focusing on enrolling your child in a competitive daycare or kindergarten when they are born (or conceived), get them on Lenke's waiting list just in case they ever develop scoliosis. (smiley face icon substitute).
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Beautiful pic Ed! That's neat that you're way up on the slopes looking down on a lake. I guess that's why they call it Lake Tahoe eh. We used to go skiing all the time when we lived down in Victoria and drove 2.5 hours to Mr. Washington up here and now that we actually live up this way, we no longer ski. Go figure.
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Ditto here.... I drove 3 hours every week to go skiing at Mt. Bachelor, then moved here and only get to go a couple times a year. What's wrong with us??? Not enough days in a week, I guess. Dang jobs!!!!!!!
                        Jenee'-52
                        Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
                        Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
                        I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
                        9 hours
                        T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
                        Non-fusion
                        Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
                        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

There's a few reasons we gave up skiing. It's really expensive, although with living only half an hour away we could come right home afterward instead of spending nights in a chalet. Our daughter has zero interest in going and neither does our younger son (scolioboy) which is fine b/c his back is already a huge mess and I don't want to make it any worse if he takes a fall. It was our older son that was really into skiing but he doesn't live at home anymore. I don't want my husband to ski b/c if he injures himself, he can't work and we don't have that kind of insurance. I really hurt my lower back a few years ago when I tripped on my shoelace running across the parking lot and it's been really iffy since then and I'm afraid to really wreck it b/c then I can't work. I would love to drive up there through, enjoy all the snow and sit in lounge by the fireplace and drink hot rums though, mmmmm, my kind of skiing.
                          Last edited by Elisa; 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM.
                          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Wow, what you have had to endure for so so many years, you are a very brave soul. You are absolutely right on the preparation. This website is great for that, and for the horrendous pain and personal stuff that you go thru' after surgery. Reading even the very old posts helps you through the tough times, whether they be hours, days or moments. I am so glad you feel well enough to post. I understand that mental/physical inability to get in front of a computer to do anything! I, too, will soon post of my post op recovery, most because others can benefit from the personal journey one goes thru' in pre/during/post surgical information. Best of luck on the rest of your recoup!
                            XLIF 7 discs replaced L5-T10 lateral PEEK implants, pedicle/facet screws, rib resection
                            Pre-surgical: 40 d lumbar-thoracic, sponylolisthesis, kyphosis, all discs ruptured, stenosis
                            Post-surgical:12 d, 1" taller
                            Surgery: 8/27/2010 Dr. W Smith, Las Vegas University Medical Center
                            53 yrs old

Comment

Working...
                            X