spine curve as S shape - 80 degree curve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spine curve as S shape - 80 degree curve

hi, i am age 29 female malaysian. i did scoliosis surgery in age 14 in University Hospital Kuala Lumpur in Malaysia in hopes to correct my condition, but unfortunately that procedure was not successful due to the lack of medical technology at that time.

Recent x-ray shows my spine is in an S shape, curving at 66 degrees at the upper part and 76 degrees at the lower part, which is considered a severe condition.

The surgery that the doctor recommends will take about 8 hours and will include a total of 3 surgical procedures rolled into one. The first is posterior removal of implants (approximately 3 hours), anterior release and straightening (approximately 2 hours), followed by posterior straightening and instrumentation (approximately 3 hours).

The doctor will use PLIF method and NIM-ECLIPSE® Spinal System and etc. do all these are latest technology / equipment to cure my severe scoliosis? i dont hope for 3rd time surgery.

Estimate what is the total cost for this? thanks.
    Best Regards,
    WendyLow

Hi Wendy...

Yes, it sounds like the technique being described is what most experienced scoliosis surgeons would do in your case.

It' s impossible to say what it would cost. Here in the U.S., that would probably be $300,000 to $500,000.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Linda,
      thanks for the infor. i am glad to hear that.
      thanks,
      wendy.
      Best Regards,
      WendyLow

Comment

When is the surgery scheduled, Wendy? I hope you'll let us know how you go. I wish you all the very best with it.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

WendyLow

Ask your surgeon what it will cost. He will be able to give you an approximation. Scoliosis revision surgeries are expensive....

I’m assuming you have Harrington rods in now?
          Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

hi Jennifer,
            thanks for the regards and best wishes. my surgery is on Jan 3rd 2011 at Penang. i will pray hard too... hope it goes well. regards.

hi Ed,
            yes, u are absolutely right. Revision surgery is extremely costly. Anyway, i think he use all the latest equipment for me. yes, in my body already have a rod. but the rod make me curve more. so, now the doctor will remove the rod and replace a new one. regards.
            Best Regards,
            WendyLow

Comment

Working...
            X