Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are you losing weight?

just got back from trip to NYC...got botox shots in thoracic from pain doc
    picked up a few prescriptions...but when i went to see my rheumatologist, whom i've known for 20 years, he was upset with the fact that i am back down to 92 pounds...i was 87 a while back, and 97 when i saw my surgeon, who said he could operate on me if i am thin, but would have to see a nutritional profile (blood work) first...
    long story short, though i swear i can't eat because of all the pain meds i take, the doc thinks i have an "eating disorder" and wants me to see a shrink...wont settle for me seeing a licensed social worker (i am one) or a psychologist...has to be a shrink...
    i told him if he could take my back pain away, i could gain 20 pounds really fast, but he doesn't believe it...

nothing i said made a difference...i know he wants me to have the surgery....he has a daughter who had scoli surgery with Dr Boachie...but i know she didnt need rods all the way down her pelvis!

he said if i had the surgery years ago, when i weighed more, i wouldnt have the problem i have now...
    i could weigh 20 pounds more now and STILL not be scheduling surgery right now, but he didn't want to hear that, either....
    he thinks i am on too many pain meds....but without surgery, what else is one to do??????

QUESTION: does anyone else who has NOT had the surgery run into these appetite problems on pain meds...? any one else losing weight due to no desire to eat (caused by pain medication)?

thanks
    jess

Happy to lend you 20... no need to pay them back. ;-)

Seriously, sorry you're having this issue. Has anyone talked about a pain pump?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Jess, really sorry to hear you are dealing with this. Trying to gain weight is every bit as difficult as trying to lose it - especially when pain is involved. I know that when I over exert myself (for my condition); and have had to take pain meds - that food is the last thing I want, I can see how that would cause you to lose weight if pain and medication are a 24/7 experience, and am a little surprised than an MD cannot. I can only suggest Krispy Cream donuts, daily :-) did a number on me one year - and fast! Wasn't so great for the blood sugar levels - but the weight gain was consistent.

Comment

hi Linda
        am a little impaired, as i've been up and awake for 20 hours now...but i am pretty sure no one has suggested a pain pump...have a feeling my current pain doctor would consider it a negative thng, taking away from his vice like control of how my pain is treated..by him perhaps the new pain doc i found in CT will discuss it with me...i see him next month....thanks for the idea... appreciated!

mamamax....this particular rheumatologist has known me 20 years...but i've also known him 20 years ...he has his own quirks...like being convinced i should have the surgery, and wanting me heavy enough for surgery to take place...his daughter had scoli surgery with Dr Boachie, but i know she did not need rods all the way down to the end..of the end....
        in other words...over the years, i've seen him get moody, get fixated on one "cure"...and become convinced he and only he could be right

i'm so tired that i'm now "punchy"...so i will say good nite...
        thanks for any and all input!

jess

Comment

Have you tried drinking Ensure? My mom's cancer doctor made her drink Ensure to get more calories in her diet.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I was going to suggest Ensure also, but with ice cream or frozen yogurt in it for the extra calories.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi....

When I was in my early 20's, I had to have ankle surgery. After surgery, I was so nauseated that I couldn't keep anything down for 2 weeks. When I finally was off narcotics, and able to start eating again, I had lost about 20 pounds, and none of my clothes fit. To gain weight, the surgeon suggested I add one milkshake a day to my diet. It was shocking how fast the weight came back. Adding Ensure to the milkshake makes a lot of sense.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hey guys
                i'll have to see about milk shakes...
                Ensure is nothing...i cannot ever drink more than one a day...and that doesn't do it...

but thanks for the ideas....
                i appreciate the suggestions...

jess

Comment

Working...
                X